Explorer Navigation Tracking Problem | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Navigation Tracking Problem

Riley mentioned earlier that the new TSB for GPS Module reprogramming only came out 2nd or 3rd week of February. So if your dealer told you before this then they didn't understand there is even a newer update specific to the GPS module reprograming.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It should fix the issue. The TSB is for vehicles built on or before 1/6/14.

Interesting, since mine was built on Feb 17th but this TSB popped up for my vehicle. Maybe it's really for when the gps/MFT module was built?

I had this latest TSB done last week when I had my winter tires switch for summers and an oil change. So fare the GPS seems to be fine and will post again only if it goes out of wack.

Interesting, since mine was built on Feb 17th but this TSB popped up for my vehicle. Maybe it's really for when the gps/MFT module was built?

Your likely correct, my build date is December 5th 2013 and I confirmed the TSB does not apply to my vehicle.

Well I used the navigation for the past two weeks all around LA and Palm Springs then back up I5 to all the way to the land of bike lanes, hippies, and gluten free Whole Foods muffins, (AKA Canuckastan) and it was bang on every time so I cant figure out what happened.

Hey All

We've got a 2014 Sport (Tuxedo Black) with 2800km's. We love it except for one frustration issue.

Frequently our navigation system shows our vehicle way off the road, in the bush, in a body of water & most definitely not on the street we're actually on. When driving in the city using the navigation is almost impossible because it's so confusing.

We've pulled the SD car turned the truck off & then inserted it again.

This resets everything but has only be slightly successful.

Any thoughts, suggestions or remedies?

**UPDATE**

I brought the Sport into the dealer 12-13 days ago. We switched out the winter tires to summers & I had them check the navigation issue. They advised the TSB didn't apply to us because our system was up to date with everything. This didn't make sense to me because we've had it since mid-December. They also said they didn't "do" anything other then check the build.

All I know is the system had definitely been worked on or reset because all the setting were changed. Breadcrumbs were turned on, lots of differences to the settings we'd had.

With some scepticism, I asked the next steps for replacing the module because I was sure the tracking issue would be back by the time I made it home. The service manager said there was no specific protocol however it would take time to convince Ford to go to that expense. I pushed & he mentioned logging the issue with Ford would be a good thing to do.

I let him know I was going to go hard after this because were heading on a family vacation at the end of April & I wasn't leaving without the issue fixed. His suggestion was to use my Harley GPS as a backup.

I let him know we didn't spend tens of thousands of dollars on a new vehicle to need to use a portable GPS.

He was quite pleasant the whole time.

Expecting the worst, I left & for the least two weeks the tracking has been dead on 100% of the time.

My conclusion, I haven't got a clue...

Winters off, summers on, possible system reprogramming(???), possibly just reset.

Happy its working though.

Best of luck to everyone else.

Same here. its been almost a month now and my nav has been deadly accurate ever since the day i towed a trailer from ft mac to edmonton. I'm happy that its working now, but to suddenly start working after months of uselessness just does not sit well.

Well I used the navigation for the past two weeks all around LA and Palm Springs then back up I5 to all the way to the land of bike lanes, hippies, and gluten free Whole Foods muffins, (AKA Canuckastan) and it was bang on every time so I cant figure out what happened.

Well the summer tires are back on my Explorer....and yup the GPS tracking is working fine. I guess I bought a vehicle with GPS for the warmer months only. Too bad once the winter tires go on, the GPS goes off track, cause we do a lot of skiing!

Well the summer tires are back on my Explorer....and yup the GPS tracking is working fine. I guess I bought a vehicle with GPS for the warmer months only. Too bad once the winter tires go on, the GPS goes off track, cause we do a lot of skiing!
For some reason this seems to affect only the 2013 and 2014 models. I switched 17" Winter wheels for the OEM 20's and never had this issue on my 2011 Ex.

Peter

Better than not having it work it all. Did you try disconnecting the battery while the winter tires were on? We have a foot of snow coming tonight so my winter tires are still on. I am assuming that I will have to do another battery disconnect when I switch tires in a week or two.

I switched 17" Winter wheels for the OEM 20's and never had this issue on my 2011 Ex.

Peter

Same here. Swapped 20 inch summer tires for 17 inch winter tires. And have never has an issue. I have a 2013 Limited.

I had this tracking issue when I changed from stock to winter tires/wheels which has a slight diameter change. Disconnecting the battery fixed it for me. Again when I changed from Winter back to Stock the tracking was off again. A second time a battery disconnect fixed my problem. I've never had an issue after i disconnected the battery.

Same here. Winter tires on with slightly larger circumference in Nov. Tracking all F'd up. 20" Sport factory wheels back on 3 weeks ago...so far tracking is absolutely perfect!

+1 on removing the negative cable on the battery. its been 2 days now and the gps has been perfect.

Better than not having it work it all. Did you try disconnecting the battery while the winter tires were on? We have a foot of snow coming tonight so my winter tires are still on. I am assuming that I will have to do another battery disconnect when I switch tires in a week or two.

Never tried the battery reset...maybe next winter if Ford doesn't have a fix yet!

2011 explorer with all the updates and latest TSB for reprogram of GPS...have always had periodic issues with GPS. The battery died a few days ago, had it replaced, so it was disconnected in the process. Have had terrible GPS function since. The system is just plain flaky. IMO Ford still owes us a fix for the Nav system.

2011 explorer with all the updates and latest TSB for reprogram of GPS...have always had periodic issues with GPS. The battery died a few days ago, had it replaced, so it was disconnected in the process. Have had terrible GPS function since. The system is just plain flaky. IMO Ford still owes us a fix for the Nav system.
Have you tried a Master Reset? The MFT/navigation in my 2011 worked great. The MLT/navigation in my current vehicle has also not encountered any issues in the brief time that I have had it.

Peter

1 year with my Sport 40K, with no major nav problems until yesterday.

I left Ottawa, Canada to go to Potsdam NY. The way there no issues.

On the way back, it showed the location of the vehicle 50/60 yards to the left of the green route. So I pulled over and pulled the nav chip so the system would reboot. No change still 50/60 yards to the left.
Driving over the bridge from NY to Cornwall, Ont it was showing me in the St Laurent River. Then a real funny thing happened when I reached the USA/Canada
border line on the nav display. At that point the nav corrected my vehicle position to the correct location crossing the bridge and not sinking in the St Laurent river.
From that point to home it was fine. But for 30 miles on the US side it was of 50/60 yards.

Brian

1 year with my Sport 40K, with no major nav problems until yesterday.

I left Ottawa, Canada to go to Potsdam NY. The way there no issues.

On the way back, it showed the location of the vehicle 50/60 yards to the left of the green route. So I pulled over and pulled the nav chip so the system would reboot. No change still 50/60 yards to the left.
Driving over the bridge from NY to Cornwall, Ont it was showing me in the St Laurent River. Then a real funny thing happened when I reached the USA/Canada
border line on the nav display. At that point the nav corrected my vehicle position to the correct location crossing the bridge and not sinking in the St Laurent river.
From that point to home it was fine. But for 30 miles on the US side it was of 50/60 yards.

Brian
That is indeed strange. I doubt it has anything to do with the metric vs U.S. measurements since it worked okay going down. Perhaps the cold water the St. Lawrence River shocked the Nav back to normal.:D

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you tried a Master Reset? The MFT/navigation in my 2011 worked great. The MLT/navigation in my current vehicle has also not encountered any issues in the brief time that I have had it.

Peter

Yes, sure I have done all that many times.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It's flaky, which is the most frustrating aspect.

Back