2014 Explorer cabin filter | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Explorer cabin filter

mechanics200

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer
Can anyone explain where access to the cabin filter is to be found? I have found reference to lifting the hood to access the trim in front of the windshield to dropping the glove box door.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can anyone explain where access to the cabin filter is to be found? I have found reference to lifting the hood to access the trim in front of the windshield to dropping the glove box door.

Per the manual
"Your vehicle is equipped with a cabin air filter, which is located just in front of the windshield under the cowl grille on the passenger side of the vehicle."

On the FilterHeads site they show a video of how to remove the glove box and change the filter etc. You can see it at http://www.filterheads.com/AQ1153 Hope that helps

Thanks for your info. I have read the manual and found nothing under the cowl in front of the windshield. I have also dropped the glove box and again found nothing to indicate that a filter was present.

I had seen those videos previously. The glove box in the 2014 is secured differently. There is no cable holding the box in position. There are two plastic tabs about 3/4 " x 2" attached to the upper box frame and pointing to the front of the vehicle. These two tabs catch the upper front edge of the glove box and hold it in position. Depressing these upwards before the upper edge of the box comes in contact will allow the box upper edge to not be secured by the tabs and allow the box to drop. No sign of and filter location there.

I changed mine from the glove box.

A little early to be too concerned about that isn't it? Replacement is recommended at 20k miles. :)

Peter

A little early to be too concerned about that isn't it? Replacement is recommended at 20k miles. :)

Peter

The dealer checked mine at 20K and said that it looked good as new.

On my 2011 it is right behind the glove box. There is a flat ABS plastic panel with two clips. You pop off that panel, and the filter is right behind it. (essentially right over the top of the blower motor for the HVAC) Rock Auto has the filters (made by WIX) for around $10 each.

In 2011/2012 vehicles the filter is behind the glove box.. as I posted above, the manual for 2013-2014 says the filter is located under the cowl on the passenger side below the windshield. The video posted is for a 2011, the filter is not located in the same place as the 2013+.

From the 2011 manual:
"Your vehicle is equipped with a cabin air filter, located behind the glove box"

From the 2013 manual:
"Your vehicle is equipped with a cabin air filter, which is located just in front of the windshield under the cowl grille on the passenger side of the vehicle."

I removed the plastic cowl in front of the windshield on my 2014 and found no filter or anything removable which could contain the filter.

I removed the plastic cowl in front of the windshield on my 2014 and found no filter or anything removable which could contain the filter.
You aren't looking to replace it already are you? Why not just ask the techs at the dealer when you bring it in for service?

Peter

You aren't looking to replace it already are you? Why not just ask the techs at the dealer when you bring it in for service?

Peter

People with mechanic in their screen name don't go to the dealer for service lol.

How do you change cabin filter?

how do i change the cabin air filter on my 2014 ford explorer xlt.

drop the glovebox door. The filter fits into a slot in the duct that is behind the door. Search on youtube and somebody has a video out there on doing it.

how do i change the cabin air filter on my 2014 ford explorer xlt.
Welcome to the Forum bardar.:wavey:
As per my PM, I have merged your thread with this existing one.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2013 and just changed the cabin filter 2 days ago. It is exactly the same as the 2011 in the youtube video posted earlier in this thread. EXACTLY. Just hope they put the clips in right at the factory or you'll learn a whole new realm of curse words while trying to remove them!!! The filter is behind a black panel in the blower motor housing and it is not as painfully obvious as you might think. That panel door integrates seamlessly into the rest of the black plastic behind the glovebox so as to be almost invisible. Once box is off, look to the middle left. It tilts slightly/is at an angle with the right corner lower than the left. The clips are on the bottom. Again, these don't just fall off either, it takes some oomph.

My guess is the 2014 is in the same location, they just made it easier to drop the glovebox.

Back