• Register Today It's free!

AWD compared to 4x4

Eric1249

Reaction score
City, State
Waukesha WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer
I have had a couple 4 wheel drive trucks. Never had anything that was all wheel drive. I am looking at another 04 Explorer. It is a Limited with all wheel drive. Is this a good option to have? I am going to sound like an idiot, but does the all wheel just kick in when needed? Thoughts on on all wheel drive?

Thanks
Eric

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The simplist way to explain it, is that with AWD, you have power to all four wheels at all times. The 4x or 4x auto, only supply power to the fronts as needed.
With both versions, I'd assume the front is engaged. Like at a smog shop, you need rollers under both axles.

Either version sucks on gas. I'd not care either way. In snow with AWD your good to go. With 4x auto, you'd need to engage the 4x high.

All this IMO - someone with a better understanding may certainly correct anything I've said.

I have had a couple 4 wheel drive trucks. Never had anything that was all wheel drive. I am looking at another 04 Explorer. It is a Limited with all wheel drive. Is this a good option to have? I am going to sound like an idiot, but does the all wheel just kick in when needed? Thoughts on on all wheel drive?

Thanks
Eric

I have an 04 Limited, and it's 4WD - we didn't get an AWD version here in Oz.

My previous car was a locally made AWD, and it had constant torque split of 38/62 front/rear. The explorer being 4WD in 4WD Auto mode is normally 100% to rear wheels, but will split torque to the front as and when needed. You can also force power to all 4 wheels by setting to 4WD High (and Low if on dirt, mud or sand).

I was of the understanding that the mercury equivalent was AWD, but the Explorer is a true 4WD, but then I am half a world away so may be wrong.

I believe you explained it correctly ^

Also, with the 4x4 Auto, you can do the Brown Wire Mod and only use the rear axle to increase the gas efficiency somewhat. Not sure if the BWM is applicable to AWD.

I believe you explained it correctly ^

Also, with the 4x4 Auto, you can do the Brown Wire Mod and only use the rear axle to increase the gas efficiency somewhat. Not sure if the BWM is applicable to AWD.

Yep, BWM only applies to 4WD, but it doesn't save any fuel since 4X4 auto usually means 100% to rear wheels anyway.

to clear that up. Auto4x4 will clunk into 4x4 mode when the rear wheels slip. I hate this. This is what the Brown Wire Mod is for - to keep it in 2wd and not clunk and clank into 4x4 whenever the computer "thinks" it should. AWD is a different system that splits power to Front and Rear all the time be it 50/50 or 40/60. I was planning to get rid of my Explorer because of the auto4x4, but now I'm keeping it with the brown wire mod.

Ok just downloaded the owners manual from ford website..it says 4x4 auto is power to all wheels and is for normal on road conditions. 4x4 high is for mud, ice, snow and off road use only and 4x4 low Is for maximum power to all 4 wheels and is for deep sand mud or snow.... Take from that what you will.... But ive got 4x4 auto and that definitely explains why my gas mileage sucks.... But i love driving it.

Page 150 incase anyone is interested.

Ok just downloaded the owners manual from ford website..it says 4x4 auto is power to all wheels and is for normal on road conditions. 4x4 high is for mud, ice, snow and off road use only and 4x4 low Is for maximum power to all 4 wheels and is for deep sand mud or snow.... Take from that what you will.... But ive got 4x4 auto and that definitely explains why my gas mileage sucks.... But i love driving it.
Yep, thats true, but we also know that the transfer case does not engage unless and until slip is detected, so normal dry conditions in 4X4auto, it only uses RWD, but does kick the transfer case into 4x4 if you take off quick etc from the lights. I know this because I have hooked up a green light that tells me when the front diff is active, and most of the time it isn't, except under the conditions I have described, and moreso when it's wet.

Yep, thats true, but we also know that the transfer case does not engage unless and until slip is detected, so normal dry conditions in 4X4auto, it only uses RWD, but does kick the transfer case into 4x4 if you take off quick etc from the lights. I know this because I have hooked up a green light that tells me when the front diff is active, and most of the time it isn't, except under the conditions I have described, and moreso when it's wet.

Have pics of where you installed the light? I want to install one for my E-fan.

also remember a huge factor with 4 wheel drive in these trucks is the gear setup. When you do not have limited slip, your so called "4 wheel drive" is really 2 wheel drive.

When in auto and the tires slip it will send power to the front but to only one tire. so you will have one back tire and one front tire spinning.

When in 4 wheel high the one front and one rear will turn.

With limited slip in the rear you will have 3 wheel drive.

Unless the truck has lockers of after market diff all cars are never true 4wd.

what? no that is worded wrong. The way that is worded makes 4x4Auto and 4x4High the exact same thing, which is wrong. That is the definition of AWD.

4x4 Auto, is potential. The vehicle has the potential to "auto engage" all wheels if it detects slips. The auto meaning, you don't have to do anything. It is not all time 4x. This explains the clunks at low speed turns (coming out of a garage at on angle, turning wheel to go forward at another) when the vehicle thinks 4x needs engaged though it doesn't.

....and actually "engage all wheels" is wrong also as it only engages the front axle, which turns one wheel. I think Ford dumbs down the terminology for the average joe to easier understand, or think they understand. Does that make any sense? So most Explorers 4 wheel drive is actually only 2 wheel drive - 1 front wheel and 1 back wheel with power.

....and actually "engage all wheels" is wrong also as it only engages the front axle, which turns one wheel. I think Ford dumbs down the terminology for the average joe to easier understand, or think they understand. Does that make any sense? So most Explorers 4 wheel drive is actually only 2 wheel drive - 1 front wheel and 1 back wheel with power.

Unless you have an LS rear end then it is 3 wheel lol

AWD means you have 3 driving at ALL THE TIME unless like stated earlier you don't have limited slip.. You may not know what three are driving but you have them running all the time.. all AWD cars do worse in gas mileage because they are always turning, like full time 4x4.. not a bad feature.. you never have to worry about slippage or engagement..

Yep no bwm, no magnet to jumper out... I haven't done the deep digging on this type, but that's what it seems to be.

4X4 low is done mechanically with the shift motor. It moves a gear in the transfer case to engage a planetary gear.. so that is the same as the other models.

Have pics of where you installed the light? I want to install one for my E-fan.

I don't have any pics, but I installed it just above and to the side of the trans shifter - on ours, we have the shifter between the seats in the centre console; I think you guys got column shift?

I don't have any pics, but I installed it just above and to the side of the trans shifter - on ours, we have the shifter between the seats in the centre console; I think you guys got column shift?

Yours sounds like it's set up as if it were a 4th gen. Interesting. If you do have a 3rd gen, it'd be interesting to see pics of how your version down under is different.

Back