2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue | Page 36 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I just experienced the same things that have been discussed here. I was over 100 miles from home and I lost all my power steering with all the same warnings as stated in previous postings. I finally made it to a Ford dealership and was told it was a steering module that needed replaced. Cost over 1500.00. I just replaced strut mounts that cost 450.00 and my ignition is also messed up where it does not always want to start and I have to turn my key several times before it starts. I was told that would be over 300.00.
I do not know if I will purchase a Ford agin. :( I wonder why a recall has not been done on the power steering issues? Maybe not until someone gets killed. Look at GM issues. Ford should pay attention.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum msamorrison.:wavey:
Most of the steering issues involved replacing the steering rack. I don't recall another post that concerned the ignition trouble you posted about. Since you haven't added the model of your Explorer to your profile in the left margin, and you require a key to start it, I'm guessing it may be an XLT or Base, not that it would make much of a difference. Many of us that bought/leased the 2011 model opted for the Ford ESP since it was a new design and loaded with electronics. I would urge you to file a report with the NHTSA as many others have done. The link is provided in several previous posts. Ford has examined the problem and has decide that it isn't a 'safety' issue since you can still steer the vehicle (although with great difficulty). Their response (link) is also contained in a previous post. That is why you won't see a recall on this.
Good luck.

Peter

Yes, it is a 2011 XLT. I took it to another mechanic and he is saying its the steering rack.
Thanks for the information.

I would again encourage people should file a report with the NHTSA as suggested several times in this thread.

You will help yourself and other drivers as well.

Send a copy to ford board of directors

Board of Directors
Ford Motor Company
P.O. Box 685
Dearborn, MI 48126-0685
U.S.A.

Stop the silly arguments down the road that the people in charge of the company did not know what was going on. If the board does not ask allan Mullay and other executives pointed questions to address this issue than their credibility and responsibility are on the line.

What I find surprising is that GM is recalling the same issues where the peas could fail. I know GM is in a lot of heat right now but if they are recalling something that is happening to Ford, I question why Ford doesn't see this as an issue.

Now I have seen a major decrease in people complaining about this happening so that is a good sign but still, we should not be stuck with these repairs when Ford knows that there were issues with the assembly lines building these.

"where the peas could fail"
Are you typing with your eyes closed again? :D

Peter

"where the peas could fail"
Are you typing with your eyes closed again? :D

Peter

I'm guessing he was referring to power electric assisted steering. :D

I'm guessing he was referring to power electric assisted steering. :D
Okay then, EPAS. Got it, thanks. Thought we were talking about vegetables. :D:thumbsup:

Peter

2011 Ford Explorer Power Steering Issue

So everyone is aware, I did receive a notice that my 2011 Ford Explorer has a safety recall. Here is what the recall states:

"Your vehicle may have been service with a steering gear containing a software error. Due to this error, if certain component faults were to occur, the steering gear would become locked. A locked steering gear would not all an operatoer to steer the vehicle, increasing the risk of a crash."

The ironic part is that I am receiving this recall after this happened to my 2011 Ford Explorer twice within a two month period. Both times, Ford repaired my car and I was required to pay. Furthermore, Ford was unable to tell me if the new part in my car is what is being recalled or if it was a previous part that has already been replaced. And on top of all that, even with the recall, they are indicating to me that I am still responsible for the parts I previously paid for, even though the recall is specifically identifying the parts that I have now had replaced twice. I find this to be completely erroneous on their end and I have nothing good to say about Ford going forward. When contacting them the first time the part broke, I was told there were no recalls being considered, yet I find it hard to believe Ford made a recall decision in such short time. Recalls across the nation are not light decisions. My guess is that when my initial part was broken, someone knew there were issues and a recall was in the works. Especially after having my tow truck guy tell me he tows Fords all the time. I asked him to take the stand on that. He declined as it is a significant amount of business for him. Sad. Either way, I am pursing further action. I do not feel it is right to pay for these parts when a recall was in fact issued and I want this to be brought to further light before someone is seriously injured. If you have not recieved a recall on your 2011 Ford, please look further into the matter before an injury occurs. Or, trade in for a Jeep. Ranked #2 for safety. Good luck and be safe.

This does not appear to be what many have experienced. When the failure occurred, they were still able to steer the vehicle albeit with great difficulty. They then had the steer rack replaced.

Peter

Could we see a scan or picture of the recall notice? We haven't received anything like that.

Could we see a scan or picture of the recall notice? We haven't received anything like that.
Probably doesn't apply to a 2006 XLT. ;)

Peter

Recall notice

Yes, I will post a photo/scan early next week as I don't have immediate access to a scanner. The first two replacements were the steering rack. When we called, that is what the recall was for also. Again, they are unable to tell me which of the three racks is being recalled.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2011-12-ford-explorer-recalled-for-steering-gear-problem.html

sounds like the recall is for defective replacement steering systems, to the original steering gear.

"It is important to note that the vehicles being recalled are only those that may have received a suspect replacement steering gear after September 1, 2013," the Ford statement said.

Due to a software error, if certain component faults were to occur, the steering gear would become locked and would not allow the driver to steer the vehicle, increasing the risk of a crash, the automaker said in response to a query from Edmunds.

Recall Does Not Address Initial Problem

In other words, this recall really has nothing to do with addressing the loss of power steering that many owners experienced with their Explorers. This recall is only to replaced a defective gear that was installed when having the repair done on or after September 1st, 2013.

Peter

Recall

Peter, my part defects did impact my power steering similar to what everyone is previously mentioned. On two separate occasions, I lost ability to steer my vehicle, all the dash alerts came on, including a power steering fault light. I made a previous post with the detailed account which was quite horrific.

recall

In other words, this recall really has nothing to do with addressing the loss of power steering that many owners experienced with their Explorers. This recall is only to replaced a defective gear that was installed when having the repair done on or after September 1st, 2013.

Peter

This recall was very specific when announced by Ford. It applied to about 300 steering racks that they replaced late last year, and Ford decided that the racks they replaced them with might be defective as well (apparently because people were coming in with subsequent failures). Ford chose to say that only these 300 racks were subject to recall and that there was no evidence that the steering failure had endangered anyone.

They excluded all previously failed steering racks from the recall. That is why Emetz received the notice. He was one of the 300, all of whom had already had a rack replaced. I was struck by the fact that Ford had replaced 300 racks in approximately a three month period from one manufacturing line.

When I bought my 2011, I also bought Ford stock so I could qualify in the future for x-plan pricing on my next Ford. Ironic now.

I am so happy to be driving my new Acura MDX.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rack on Back Order for WEEKS !?!?!?!

Yes, i was the proud owner of a 2011 Explorer Limited. Love the vehicle. Monday on the PA Turnpike i received the dash message that "power steering requires service", and the steering wheel became harder to steer. Got home without problem, but upon restarting the vehicle, steering was so difficult it became not possible to drive.

Took to local dealer, who did diagnose with replacement of rack. They were not happy to tell me that it could be weeks to repair, as Ford has this part on back-order due to the volume of problems that have occurred.
Is this a recall? or a least a technical bulletin?
More importantly, for those of us who need our vehicle for work, what do we do in the meantime? VERY FRUSTRATED!!!!

Details: 2011 Explorer LTD, 91,500 miles.

:mad:

Back