Help with lift | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

lambro690

Reaction score
City, State
Framingham, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLS
This is my first time on this forum. I want to lift my 2002 Ford Explorer XLS about 3-6 inches. Love off roading and i think its time to put some nice 33's on my explorer and go on a better adventure. The problem im having is that i have a mechanical fan. So that rules out the body lift... and i cant find any suspension lifts (i was thinking spacer blocks but i cant find any that will work. Any tips? Tricks? should i just go with an electric fan?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is my first time on this forum. I want to lift my 2002 Ford Explorer XLS about 3-6 inches. Love off roading and i think its time to put some nice 33's on my explorer and go on a better adventure. The problem im having is that i have a mechanical fan. So that rules out the body lift... and i cant find any suspension lifts (i was thinking spacer blocks but i cant find any that will work. Any tips? Tricks? should i just go with an electric fan?

Check out the top of the modified 2002-2005 explorers subforum. The sticky threads up there address both strut spacer lifts (aka BTF spacers...a type of suspension lift) and body lifts (totally do-able despite the mechanical fan...you just trim the fan shroud)

Check out the top of the modified 2002-2005 explorers subforum. The sticky threads up there address both strut spacer lifts (aka BTF spacers...a type of suspension lift) and body lifts (totally do-able despite the mechanical fan...you just trim the fan shroud)

Thanks! I think im going to go with the BTF spacers and get some nice tires... now if only i had $2000 just laying around...

thanks again

If you want to off road it then get the 3" body lift and some 1.75F / 1.25R spacers and go with 285's for tires and either off set wheels or 1" wheel spacers... the tires won't rub and you will still have some down travel on your suspension...
My 02 I did the ranger body lift and it went very well. I didn't put in the steering spacer and have had no troubles with it at all... They are made to be able to slide out another couple inches (you will understand when you get the lift) as for suspension I made my own lift following the design of the BTF spacers and went 2.5F / 2"R and I love the look but I have no down travel (well about 2" rear and 3" front) this makes for crappy off road unless you are locked in the rear and pick your lines well...
I am going to make some changes to the suspension to make it better off road just need some free time...

If you want to off road it then get the 3" body lift and some 1.75F / 1.25R spacers and go with 285's for tires and either off set wheels or 1" wheel spacers... the tires won't rub and you will still have some down travel on your suspension...
My 02 I did the ranger body lift and it went very well. I didn't put in the steering spacer and have had no troubles with it at all... They are made to be able to slide out another couple inches (you will understand when you get the lift) as for suspension I made my own lift following the design of the BTF spacers and went 2.5F / 2"R and I love the look but I have no down travel (well about 2" rear and 3" front) this makes for crappy off road unless you are locked in the rear and pick your lines well...
I am going to make some changes to the suspension to make it better off road just need some free time...

What schedule pipe did you use and plate thickness? Did you need a jig to keep it from warping while welding? If you have some dimensions that would be awesome! I am thinking of making my own as well.

What schedule pipe did you use and plate thickness? Did you need a jig to keep it from warping while welding? If you have some dimensions that would be awesome! I am thinking of making my own as well.

PM me your email, I've got some drawings that I can send you.

The tube used was 3/16" thick and the plate was the same.
No need to use a jig just space out your welds and go slow...
Cheers and good luck...
R...

Back