My XSport is getting some new paint, | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My XSport is getting some new paint,

looks great!

I say black door handles and some sic 22s and your done

Billyg900 I like the way u think!!!

I'm so happy with it... I love the way it looks now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Love it, nice job!

Very clean looking.

Please dont do the woodgrain steering wheel.....pretty please

No wood grain steering wheel???
Have u ever felt a wood grain? I love them.
Not sure if u know but I'm getting a black wood grain or black carbon fiber.
Why so much dislike sgt1411?

Maybe I'm thinkin old school knotty pine wood grain but your Sport looks so good I love it clean as is. Maybe I'm too OEM.

Not my personal preference but it looks very clean and if you are happy then it's perfect.

I agree with you. I like the contrast of the black trim with the white.. now if someone painted the trim gloss black that would look outstanding.

I agree with you. I like the contrast of the black trim with the white.. now if someone painted the trim gloss black that would look outstanding.
:roll:

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbdwn:

I hate to say it but the gloss black would look better than the chaep a$$ looking flat black parts that Ford puts on all their new cars...:eek:

Painting it all white looks more luxurious and takes away that cheap look and feel to me... Im super happpy and i have a 1 of a kind.. not the same one that everyone else has... :mattmoon:

I hate to say it but the gloss black would look better than the chaep a$$ looking flat black parts that Ford puts on all their new cars...:eek:
The flat black plastic parts are in my opinion a much better solution to avoid paint chips and scratches than a painted surface. Even those without the plastic panels have a special painted coating on the lower parts for the same reason. Splash guards will help but won't stop all potential damage. The OEM splash guards would provide a bit more protection than the ones you have installed.
Looks very nice BTW.:biggthump

Peter

The flat black plastic parts are in my opinion a much better solution to avoid paint chips and scratches than a painted surface. Even those without the plastic panels have a special painted coating on the lower parts for the same reason. Splash guards will help but won't stop all potential damage. The OEM splash guards would provide a bit more protection than the ones you have installed.
Looks very nice BTW.:biggthump

Peter

Every since I joined this forum u have cracked me up
Peterk9.

Painting it all white looks more luxurious and takes away that cheap look and feel to me... Im super happpy and i have a 1 of a kind.. not the same one that everyone else has... :mattmoon:

Maybe it is just the pictures but the painted black parts do not seem to match the factory paint. Could be that they are made from two different materials... either way it does look cleaner. Would be even sweeter if someone molded them in to remove the gap.

Maybe it is just the pictures but the painted black parts do not seem to match the factory paint. Could be that they are made from two different materials... either way it does look cleaner. Would be even sweeter if someone molded them in to remove the gap.

ive never seen the moldings painted black to match a black truck?

there should be no problem getting them painted to match..

thats why im so pleased with my painted trim, they match perfectly and looks factory..

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Looks great!

I used to love the eddie bauer tan bottom trim. I think that would look good on the standard explorer limited. Instead of the black.

You know what? Ford eventually did that with the last generation. My 2006 Ex had the black trim.

Explorer.jpg

My 2008 and 2010 did not:

P1010006_zpsc551f05c.jpg

IMG-20120407-00136_zpsd2843c19.jpg

Great looking Ex Sport TMack2300. since it's been over a year since you had it done, can you tell me how the paint is holding up on the molding? I know there will be chips here and there and I would plan for some minor DIY touch-up paint. But I'm curious long term how it will hold up on the molding. Thanks!!!!

Great looking Ex Sport TMack2300. since it's been over a year since you had it done, can you tell me how the paint is holding up on the molding? I know there will be chips here and there and I would plan for some minor DIY touch-up paint. But I'm curious long term how it will hold up on the molding. Thanks!!!!

Im pleasantly surprised after 1.5 years it looks perfect still. Best $1500 i spent. I hated the car until the paint. Looked cheap. Blck plastic bs.

Thanks for the update. I think I will move forward with my plans to paint the molding white. Any further updates?? pics?

Im pleasantly surprised after 1.5 years it looks perfect still. Best $1500 i spent. I hatedthe car until the paint. Looked cheap. Blck plastic bs.

WOW! $1500?? I just got an estimate yesterday to have all that done and they quoted my almost $3,000. Looks like I need to do some shopping! Looks awesome, mine is Pearl White also

WOW! $1500?? I just got an estimate yesterday to have all that done and they quoted my almost $3,000. Looks like I need to do some shopping! Looks awesome, mine is Pearl White also

The ford dealer quoted me $3,000 and that was buying all new cladding or panels and painting them?!! Is that what their quote was for or was that to paint existing?

The ford dealer quoted me $3,000 and that was buying all new cladding or panels and painting them?!! Is that what their quote was for or was that to paint existing?

Talking about some 3 step process etc.. but using the existing cladding. Outrageous.

Do you have any new high-res photos of your truck?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The $3000 estimate seems really high. My two estimates were between $1200 and $1500 each. And they included using a chemical to help etch the molding so the paint would adhere to it better.

Back