Rock Chips 2014 Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rock Chips 2014 Sport

Sunny419

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
I'm wondering about the quality of the windshield in 2014 Sport. I picked it up from the dealer on 7/30. On 9/9 my husband noticed a rock chip in the windshield. We had Safelite come out and try to repair the chip, but the repair procedure actually cracked the windshield. So, on 9/17 we had a new windshield put in. Now the new windshield has a rock chip in exactly the same place after being in the vehicle for less than a week. I drove my 02 Explorer for 8 years on exactly the same routes/highways and I never got a rock chip. I do not remember anything hitting the windshield in either case. Needless to say, I'm pretty upset. Do you think there could be something wrong with the windshields or maybe something isn't perfectly lined up on my car causing some additional stress to the glass? Thanks for reading.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd like to know as well. My wife and I have a 13 Explorer sport with about 2200 miles on it. This weekend I decided to do full wash/wax/claybar etc on the outside. Well when I got to the windshield I was surprised to find 2 small chips right in front of her line of site. My 11+ year old BMW has the OEM glass on it, sits MUCH lower to the ground, and its glass is perfect. I cant seem to understand how her 2000 mile vehicle has chips in the glass.

I'm glad you started this thread. I'm tempted to call the dealer but would like more feedback about what they may do for me if anything.

Stress cracks are one thing, but rock chips are just that :)

Someone follows too closely in my household and SHE gets the driving lite lens even cracked sometimes !!!

Stress cracks are one thing, but rock chips are just that :)

Someone follows too closely in my household and SHE gets the driving lite lens even cracked sometimes !!!

Yes. Auto Glass isnt what it was. The Op Got chips in the OEM and aftermarket windshield... That isn't Ford's fault.

There are only a few factories that make auto glass anymore. So they will all be the same quality... I've had to replace 4 from all different manufacturers in my 99 toyota corolla... Again, not Toyota's fault. Just a fact of modern life.

Actually, they were both OEM windshields...

So a Ford dealership replaced the windshield? It is very rare that insurance companies will pay for OEM glass. I had to have my glass replaced for a crack once and the glass company came with an aftermarket one per my insurance company. Fortunately for me, my truck is a harley davidson version and the glass had to be ordered direct from Ford and was 2 1/2 times the cost of the aftermarket because of the mini Harley emblems along the top and bottom of the glass.

I'm shocked that it would be OEM if you went through your insurance.

And to answer your question, no chips here and almost 50,000 miles on it...

Stress will cause a crack, not a chip.

there are no after market windshields available because the vehicle is so new. the only way I could get a windshield was from Ford.

I had a lot of F150's over the years and never had to replace the windshield. I bought a new one in 2010 and had to replace the windshield 3 times in 2.5 years. My 2007 Explorer has the same windshield in it that came with it, one little rock chip. It has to do with the aerodynamics more then anything else. Do you have a bug shield on the front? If it was a MFG defect the windshield would either twist and crack or shatter not get a little chip in it. I would toss this up to bad luck.

I'm just going to go with some bad luck. Cant believe it has a chip (2 small ones) after 2200 miles of driving, but I guess it happens. I'll see if safelite can repair it with that epoxy they say they can use. I think insurance will cover it anyways.

Windshield Chip 2014 Explorer Sport

I too have a 2014 Ford Explorer Sport that I just picked up about three weeks ago and I noticed after driving it about 500 miles that it has a small stone chip in the windshield. This also seemed strange to me, like the windshield is too soft. I never had this happen on any of my other vehicles. Just wanted to give you my input.

I too have a 2014 Ford Explorer Sport that I just picked up about three weeks ago and I noticed after driving it about 500 miles that it has a small stone chip in the windshield. This also seemed strange to me, like the windshield is too soft. I never had this happen on any of my other vehicles. Just wanted to give you my input.
Welcome to the Forum Cabinman 62.:wavey:
I returned my leased 2011 Limited last month. No chips in the windshield or the paint. Not sure if the 'Soundscreen' glass is any different in strength than others. It doesn't appear to be a big issue on this forum.

Peter

I had 2 jawbreaker sized rocks spit up from the back of a truck, they flew through the air, hit the windshield near the passenger top area,
and the other flew by me up across the center and kept going over the car.

It was a HUGE crack! sound when it hit, really loud,
and meanwhile that scared the sh*t out of me as I watched the the 2nd one come in from the left...driving and ducking down at the same time.

It left a small chip, that looks maybe too small to fix.
Its all about the angle of impact.

I dumped a gallon of paint on the carpet and it won't come out. I can't believe Ford would put such cheap carpet in these things...

:)

I dumped a gallon of paint on the carpet and it won't come out. I can't believe Ford would put such cheap carpet in these things...

:)

Should have bought those Weathertech Liners.

Back