A5 Nav update now available on our site | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A5 Nav update now available on our site

Reaction score
City, State
Levittown, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
All
For anyone looking to upgrade their Nav software we have the latest "A5" update available

Please let us know if you have any questions!

Thanks,
-Benny

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do we need to pay for it or would it possibly be given out via Ford to owners based on some time frame or warranty or whatever?

Do we need to pay for it or would it possibly be given out via Ford to owners based on some time frame or warranty or whatever?

I just got off the phone with Ford customer service to clarify this. The A5 update is not part of any TSB or "fix" it is solely a navigation update therefore it is the responsibility of the customer. I am aware some manufactures offer a period of free upgrades but this is not the case here.

-Benny

If your current map card "fails" it will be replaced at no charge with the A5 card, if your vehicle is still under warranty.

I just got off the phone with Ford customer service to clarify this. The A5 update is not part of any TSB or "fix" it is solely a navigation update therefore it is the responsibility of the customer. I am aware some manufactures offer a period of free upgrades but this is not the case here.

-Benny

Not a "navigation" update.. it's a "map" update. There is no change to the navigation or associated software, just maps and POI's are included on the card. I know you didn't set Ford's pricing for this, but 120$ is absurd for JUST MAPS. I'm curious as to what the dealerships cost on this card is, I can't figure out why auto manufacturers think it's reasonable to charge 3x the money for map updates than any other navigation device. Maybe they're just being ripped off by the map provider.

Not a "navigation" update.. it's a "map" update. There is no change to the navigation or associated software, just maps and POI's are included on the card. I know you didn't set Ford's pricing for this, but 120$ is absurd for JUST MAPS. I'm curious as to what the dealerships cost on this card is, I can't figure out why auto manufacturers think it's reasonable to charge 3x the money for map updates than any other navigation device. Maybe they're just being ripped off by the map provider.

As we are part of a large autogroup with many manufactures I can tell you this map update is very reasonable in price. Chryslers can run 299.00! and Subaru's North of 200.00

-Benny

As we are part of a large autogroup with many manufactures I can tell you this map update is very reasonable in price. Chryslers can run 299.00! and Subaru's North of 200.00

-Benny

I didn't say you were unreasonable in your pricing... I said auto manufacturers in general are absurd. For all other non-auto navi devices map prices range from $0-$50 for single updates.. and most have unlimited update programs where there is a one time $80-$100 charge for lifetime updates... Auto manufacturers think it's reasonable to charge 3x this.

Upgrade A5 Navigation Card

This forum has more participants than the Edge forum I follow, so I thought I would ask it here.

I have seen that an A5 navigation card was released in March to update the present A4 card. Has anyone received it with their recently purchased Explorer yet.

I would imagine the new card may be included with vehicles built after the March release. Or are they still shipping with the A4 card until that supply is depleted?

I found several A5 cards on eBay but not at a price I am willing to pay yet without knowing how much was updated. I also know there is supposed to be a big upgrade this year for the AppLink in many cars, including my 2013 Edge.

I wonder if the A5 card might be included as a part of that upgrade, such as when they replaced my A3 card with an A4 card after one of the previous Sync updates that required a new card.

This forum has more participants than the Edge forum I follow, so I thought I would ask it here.

I have seen that an A5 navigation card was released in March to update the present A4 card. Has anyone received it with their recently purchased Explorer yet.

I would imagine the new card may be included with vehicles built after the March release. Or are they still shipping with the A4 card until that supply is depleted?

I found several A5 cards on eBay but not at a price I am willing to pay yet without knowing how much was updated. I also know there is supposed to be a big upgrade this year for the AppLink in many cars, including my 2013 Edge.

I wonder if the A5 card might be included as a part of that upgrade, such as when they replaced my A3 card with an A4 card after one of the previous Sync updates that required a new card.

My Ford Touch will not be getting AppLink, and the A5 card is just a maps update. There is no navigational changes in relation to the card, if the places you go seem to be mapped correctly then it's probably not worth upgrading to the new card. If you find you're maps don't match the real streets (lots of construction over the past few years), then you'll want to upgrade so your maps match the physical streets.

There are rumors of an upgrade to QNX based system coming in the next year sometime. There are also rumors that previous My Ford Touch vehicles will be updated to the new system, but neither of these things have been confirmed by actual Ford Representatives. If they do upgrade previous vehicles to QNX that most likely will require another maps upgrade (that would be included), but there is no way to know if, and if so, when this may all take place.

This is another reason why I mount my smartphone next to the MFT and use Google Navigation. Not only is it flawless and loads your desired location by voice over Bluetooth quicker than Ford's nav (and you get get turn by turn over the speakers via Bluetooth just like OEM nav while I see the map on my smartphone next to the MFT), but Google Maps are updated every month or so for free by Google. Just need to update the app on your phone. No charge.

And this is not knock on Ford per se. Most people I know have problems with their OEM nav regardless of car make and get charged for map updates. $120 is steep regardless of what others manufacturers charge IMO. Also not sure this will fix any location issues people may be having. Could be a hardware issue on MFT.

This is another reason why I mount my smartphone next to the MFT and use Google Navigation. Not only is it flawless and loads your desired location by voice over Bluetooth quicker than Ford's nav (and you get get turn by turn over the speakers via Bluetooth just like OEM nav while I see the map on my smartphone next to the MFT), but Google Maps are updated every month or so for free by Google. Just need to update the app on your phone. No charge.

And this is not knock on Ford per se. Most people I know have problems with their OEM nav regardless of car make and get charged for map updates. $120 is steep regardless of what others manufacturers charge IMO. Also not sure this will fix any location issues people may be having. Could be a hardware issue on MFT.

I agree with pretty much everything you say, but I will always have a need for OEM navigation and prefer it. Try going out into the mountains or deep into the country to load a map and directions using your phone when you can barely get a cell signal. You may not make it out alive. Same reason why I bought a golf GPS device for golf instead of using a GPS golf app on my phone. There are times when you are out in the middle of God's country and a cell phone is as worthless as a pile of bird pooh on a pump handle. But MFT and the Golf GPS work perfectly. :)

I do wish the map updates were cheaper. But considering my wife's Garmin navigation hasn't had maps updated in 5 years and we have yet to be mislead, I don't think monthly map updates are needed in the Midwest (where I live) opposed to a big metropolis.

Hey everyone,

I just want to jump in and confirm that the A5 SD card is just a map update. Contact a couple different dealers in your area to make sure you receive the best available price (if you decide to purchase a new card).

Rebecca

I agree with pretty much everything you say, but I will always have a need for OEM navigation and prefer it. Try going out into the mountains or deep into the country to load a map and directions using your phone when you can barely get a cell signal. You may not make it out alive. Same reason why I bought a golf GPS device for golf instead of using a GPS golf app on my phone. There are times when you are out in the middle of God's country and a cell phone is as worthless as a pile of bird pooh on a pump handle. But MFT and the Golf GPS work perfectly. :)

I do wish the map updates were cheaper. But considering my wife's Garmin navigation hasn't had maps updated in 5 years and we have yet to be mislead, I don't think monthly map updates are needed in the Midwest (where I live) opposed to a big metropolis.

I agree that OEM can come in handy in the sticks. Google maps/nav is not useless, though, out of cell coverage. You can now pre-download maps covering hundreds of square miles and store them on your phone for areas you will go to where you are concerned about coverage. Simple as pinch, click and give it a title. If you Google talk or type in a destination for Google nav when in coverage that will then go through miles upon miles of area without coverage, Google nav remembers the directions from the original direction set-up in coverage and still works flawlessly out of cell coverage if you have not saved a map. Just need a satellite signal. Where you are stuck with Google maps/nav is if you are out of cell coverage and have not saved a map for that area.

Needless to say, where I drive the most along the Northeast corridor around metro areas/I-95 coverage is not an issue or I may not rely so much on Google maps - especially before the downloadable maps.

First post after finally deciding to go on and register after lurking a couple months. But as FYI, I bought a 2014 Ex a little over a month ago (build date was 1st week of April) and the dealer included the A5 map update.

Welcome to the Forum CountrySquiress.:wavey:
Thanks for the update on the A5 card in new Explorers.:thumbsup:

Peter

Welcome to the Forum CountrySquiress.:wavey:
Thanks for the update on the A5 card in new Explorers.:thumbsup:

Peter

Thanks Peter! So far it has been mapping the street names correctly along the various routes that I have traveled around the city, including some streets that change name along the way. Am not in the habit of looking at the street info on the screen but when I do, I keep getting that pleasant surprise. :bsnicker:

a5

whats the quickest way to tell if u have the A4 oe A5? :D

Take the card out of the slot and check it. It's printed on the card.

Peter

Navation Maps

I purchased a new 2014 Explorer in July 2014. It came with the $895 navigation package. The SD card was an "A5" card. To my surprise, the maps in Munds Park Arizona were close to 2-years old.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Doug1953.:wavey:
I guess that sort of leaves us wondering when the A4 was actually updated.:scratch:

Peter

Back