Ford explorer HID get exchanged to Halogen by dealer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford explorer HID get exchanged to Halogen by dealer

simon18309

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Exlorer Limited 4WD
Hi everyone,

I just sent my 2011 explorer limited to a body shop for fix and they found that my original HID headlight on my left side get exchanged to Halogen by the dealership when I purchased it used.

Is there anyway that I can get it back to HID? Now I tried to connect a 9005 bulb to it and it won't work(the socket now is 9005). Thanks again!

Regards,
Simon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It sounds like they changed the entire headlight assembly. I think I'd go back to the dealer and ask them why. Perhaps the vehicle was in an accident. In any case, as a Limited model, it comes with HID as standard equipment and that is what you should have received. Even if the dealer denies changing it, it should have been corrected before it was sold.

Peter

Hi everyone,

I just sent my 2011 explorer limited to a body shop for fix and they found that my original HID headlight on my left side get exchanged to Halogen by the dealership when I purchased it used.

Is there anyway that I can get it back to HID? Now I tried to connect a 9005 bulb to it and it won't work(the socket now is 9005). Thanks again!

Regards,
Simon

Also the HID bulbs are D3S bulb types and not 9005 (non-hid).

It sounds like they changed the entire headlight assembly. I think I'd go back to the dealer and ask them why. Perhaps the vehicle was in an accident. In any case, as a Limited model, it comes with HID as standard equipment and that is what you should have received. Even if the dealer denies changing it, it should have been corrected before it was sold.

Peter

HID on Limited is only as "option" or with the 302A package. Otherwise you get standard halogen headlights.

.........HID on Limited is only as "option" or with the 302A package. Otherwise you get standard halogen headlights.
In Canada, where the OP lives, HIDs are standard equipment on all Limiteds regardless of the package.

Peter

Peter

This is my big concern. Am I able to get my HID back? Seems they have rewire the whole thing...

This is my big concern. Am I able to get my HID back? Seems they have rewire the whole thing...

Could it be possible that you got a US version of the EX which didnt get the HID option?

Could it be possible that you got a US version of the EX which didnt get the HID option?
I don't that is the problem. As he stated, he has one HID and one Halogen headlamp and the body shop determined that the halogen one is a replacement. I don't see why an entire headlamp assembly would have been replaced unless there was some kind of damage. Perhaps it might be a good idea to track down the original owner.

Peter

so you have been driving around with 1 hid headlight and 1 halogen and didnt notice until the body shop discovered this?

so you have been driving around with 1 hid headlight and 1 halogen and didnt notice until the body shop discovered this?
I would think it is possible not to notice it. Perhaps most of his driving is in the city. The HID lights on my 2011 were my biggest disappointment. They didn't seem any better than the upgraded Philips X-treme Power bulbs (Halogen) I had in my Highlander.
Not sure what the adaptive ones in the MKT are like as I haven't yet had an occasion to drive at night.

Peter

I would think it is possible not to notice it. Perhaps most of his driving is in the city. The HID lights on my 2011 were my biggest disappointment. They didn't seem any better than the upgraded Philips X-treme Power bulbs (Halogen) I had in my Highlander.
Not sure what the adaptive ones in the MKT are like as I haven't yet had an occasion to drive at night.

Peter

But you should notice a white light versus a yellowish light.

Anyways so your saying one side is a 9005 bulb connector and the other is the D3S bulb?

Back