Remote start smart phone app ? | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remote start smart phone app ?

I think what they are getting at (which is my point too) is that if they buy through them, they activate it over the phone for free. Most dealerships have a 1 hour minimum labor so going to a local dealer, it will cost them anywhere from $60-$120. It is nice having it activated over the phone.

As a side note to everyone else, those 2 piece kits are not made anymore so once they are gone, they are gone. I do not believe Benny can order that kit (correct me if I'm wrong).

Benny, let me know what your price would be if you can indeed order this kit. I'm going to be ordering one for my F350 that will be in within the next month. I don't mind being a guinea pig if the price is right.

Part # DL3Z-19G364-A

Good point on the dealer charge I understand your point on that. Correct the old kits are done and we cannot obtain them.

-Benny

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey all,
Question for those with this installed. How do i see the notifications? I see the red 1 on the iphone app but i dont see the notification or where to go to see it. I have the app configured to send notification to my phone and an email address.

Woudl it matter if i paid for the app? Since i installed it i did pay for it but i can start, lock and unlock it without any problems.

My notifications come to my text messages. As soon as the alarm is triggered I get a message.

Your right you need both parts.

I confirmed this by locking my SPORT with drivers window down and reaching inside to open door. No alarm sounded so it means no security system or only the basic 100 series.

As you stated many times we need 200 Series Base Vehicle Security Kit in order to have the Cellular Remote Access Module connect and function.

Security Module
Cellular Remote Access Module
Optional blue LED security light

Coming late to the party but this seems like a cool add.

So question -

For those of us that wish to go the self install route and already have keyless entry w/ included remote start on the "mykey" to confirm, are the only additional peices we need to purchase the below parts?

DT4Z-19A361-A - Vehicle Security System
and
DL3Z-19A390-B - Remote access unit

Can the remote access unit work w/o the VSS and JUST provide remote start/stop functionality and no alarm notification or will it not work at all?

And finally, I do not think this has been discussed but does anyone know if the remote access unit can or will ever be used for GPS location reporting? Seems like an easy software add to help in locating stolen vehicles like how lowjack works.... If that could be enabled, the cost of this install even at a dealer would probably be recouped in lower insurance costs after a few years...

For those of us that wish to go the self install route and already have keyless entry w/ included remote start on the "mykey" to confirm, are the only additional peices we need to purchase the below parts?

DT4Z-19A361-A - Vehicle Security System
and
DL3Z-19A390-B - Remote access unit

Yes, but you can buy them together in a kit and save some money.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CDURGNO/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Can the remote access unit work w/o the VSS and JUST provide remote start/stop functionality and no alarm notification or will it not work at all?

The Remote Access Unit will not work without the VSS. However, you don't have to use the alarm functionality of the VSS if you don't want to. It actually ships with the alarm function disabled. You have to remove a jumper to enable the alarm functions. I have no interest in the shock sensor, so I left the alarm disabled.

And finally, I do not think this has been discussed but does anyone know if the remote access unit can or will ever be used for GPS location reporting? Seems like an easy software add to help in locating stolen vehicles like how lowjack works.... If that could be enabled, the cost of this install even at a dealer would probably be recouped in lower insurance costs after a few years...

I doubt it. I don't think the cellular radio is tied to the GPS in the car at all. The aftermarket units that do GPS tracking usually have a separate GPS built into the cellular unit. This Ford Remote Access Unit does not.

Yes, but you can buy them together in a kit and save some money.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CDURGNO/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Remote Access Unit will not work without the VSS. However, you don't have to use the alarm functionality of the VSS if you don't want to. It actually ships with the alarm function disabled. You have to remove a jumper to enable the alarm functions. I have no interest in the shock sensor, so I left the alarm disabled.

I doubt it. I don't think the cellular radio is tied to the GPS in the car at all. The aftermarket units that do GPS tracking usually have a separate GPS built into the cellular unit. This Ford Remote Access Unit does not.

Thanks for that info. 1 Final question before I order - Does this kit require you to use a different keyfob for the alarm functionality or will the alarm arm/disarm on lock/unlock from the existing mykey setup? Since I now only travel with the mykey I don't know that I want to have to deal with another fob...

OK guys... I'm pretty sure I get the picture that I need kit dl3z-19g364-a but I want to verify.
I have a '13 Ex Sport with factory alarm. (If I open door from inside when locked, it sets off horn)
Is that what is called the 100 series alarm? But I still need the 200 series alarm?

One of the posts by Levittown Ford made me think if I already have a base level security and remote start, then all I need is the cellular model.

Help!

OK guys... I'm pretty sure I get the picture that I need kit dl3z-19g364-a but I want to verify.
I have a '13 Ex Sport with factory alarm. (If I open door from inside when locked, it sets off horn)
Is that what is called the 100 series alarm? But I still need the 200 series alarm?

One of the posts by Levittown Ford made me think if I already have a base level security and remote start, then all I need is the cellular model.

Help!

Your understanding of whats required is the same as mine. I ordered the security module, remote cell antenna module, and blue LED for my 14 Sport.

Help!

From your test it sounds like you already have the security kit installed, You can do a visual check for the module just to be sure. I am not aware of 2 different security systems.

Our site is currently down but I can email you the install sheet to check for the module

-Benny

Help!

Yes, your Sport has the 100 series alarm, which only supports one-way communication and does not have a shock sensor. You need the kit, which includes the 200 series alarm unit and the remote access unit.

I don't believe there is such thing as an Explorer that comes with a 2-way 200 series unit from the factory.

From your test it sounds like you already have the security kit installed, You can do a visual check for the module just to be sure. I am not aware of 2 different security systems.

Yes, there are 2 different security system. The system that comes installed from the factory is only supports one-way communication and does not have a shock sensor.

EVERY new install of the Remote Access Unit also requires the new Security System unit as well unless that unit was already added as part of a dealer installed or aftermarket alarm or 2-way remote start accessory.

Thanks for that info. 1 Final question before I order - Does this kit require you to use a different keyfob for the alarm functionality or will the alarm arm/disarm on lock/unlock from the existing mykey setup? Since I now only travel with the mykey I don't know that I want to have to deal with another fob...

There is no additional key fob. The alarm will activate/deactivate when you lock/unlock the car with your existing key fob or smartphone app.

Tip for the guys getting this:

Dont run out and pay the $50 bucks after the 3 day trial period. Its possible you can get a ton of free usage before they force you to buy the service. I am on about a month in and it still works without having to activate. I checked my billing and it wasnt included in what i paid so YMMV but take the free usage until they force you to buy.

I just got 2 emails from Ford Remote Access. The first says:

"Thank you for being a valued Ford Remote Access customer. We are writing to advise you that your subscription for 2013 Explorer will end in -58 days on February 25, 2014."

The second says:

"Your subscription for 2013 Explorer expired on February 25, 2014. We hope you found the service valuable.
You can create a new subscription and once again enjoy the benefits of Ford Remote Access by logging onto https://my.fordremoteaccess.com/home to start a new subscription."

Now when I try to use the app, it just shows a message saying that the subscription has expired. I paid $49.99 for the year on April 8, 2014. This should be fun to straighten out.

There is no additional key fob. The alarm will activate/deactivate when you lock/unlock the car with your existing key fob or smartphone app.

Thanks for that info!

For anyone looking to add this great feature to their vehicle we are offering free activation. This means if you self install the system there is NO need to visit your dealer, We can complete the install in your driveway remotely.

http://www.levittownfordsupercenter...mote-start-system-cellular-access-p-2270.html

For vehicles requiring the security system http://www.levittownfordsupercenter.com/ford-explorer-vehicle-security-system-p-1881.html

Please let us know if you have any questions
-Benny

I Ordered the 2 parts VSS and RMU from Levittown Ford with the assistance from Benny last week, received the parts today, installed in 20 to 30 minutes, it took me longer due the tight space in the area where the OBD II is. Then I notified and provided Benny with the information needed to activate the service and all is good and working on remote Start but the lock/unlock seems to be not working, it turns out that I missed the step to activate the VSS for the system to recognize the new install, after that everything is working as expected.

The install is a bit different from what was posted in the Stickies, the harness that came with the VSS has to be connected to the OBD II port instead of the TPMS.

Thanks to Benny for the free activation, I saved a around $150, the dealer quoted me $650.

The install is a bit different from what was posted in the Stickies, the harness that came with the VSS has to be connected to the OBD II port instead of the TPMS.

Really? So you ran the harness around to the drivers side and plugged it into the OBD II plug under the steering wheel? Did it come with directions that detailed that? That seems odd because it would need to be unplugged to use the OBD port for any diagnostics. Must be a different version because the harness that came with mine had a much smaller plug than the OBD port.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, the harness plugs in to the OBD II port, This is a T harness, you have to remove the OBD II port from the IP Frame, then connect the T harness, one end of the T harness will basically replace the OBD II port which can be use for diagnostics. If you follow the link from Benny's post#197, it has the installation instructions that shows the details of the T harness connections.

The difference in the harness is probably because this is now sold separately and not a package (vss and rmu) as it was before. (just my guess)

Back