Split Armrest Issue | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Split Armrest Issue

I had exactly the same tear on a 2011 Limited. The vehicle is out of warranty (miles), so I opted to squeeze the tear together and use a modeling paint brush to apply a seam of super glue. The repair was made a couple of months ago and has held so far. Though a little shiny at first, the shine has faded and now the repair is not noticeable unless I look for it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine was replaced under warranty, bur if that would have not been an option, I guess I would have stitched real nylon/polyester thread over the fake stitching, maybe it would look crappy, but for sure would keep the seam from busting again!

Driver's armrest

Anyone have problems with the armrest coming apart between the seams ? 2011 Exp 28000 miles . It is on the drivers side about 2 inches from where it curves from the back of the arm rest app 4 inches long .

Anyone have problems with the armrest coming apart between the seams ? 2011 Exp 28000 miles . It is on the drivers side about 2 inches from where it curves from the back of the arm rest app 4 inches long .
As per my PM, I have moved tour thread/post to this existing one on the same issue.

Peter

Armrest splitting

Call Ford customer care .The bad design causes seem to split .The whole door panel will need to be replaced. I got ford to coverall but $50.00 of cost

Hi cowpusher,

Make an appointment at your dealership so they can get this documented and diagnosed. If you need my assistance at that point, feel free to send your information to me in a PM. I'll need your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

2011 Explorer XLT door panel seperating

I have the same issue on my vehicle. Issue is that mine is out of warranty. Any known TSB or warranty extension on this issue? If not, does anyone know a good fix to be applied? Thanks, Jeff

I have the same issue on my vehicle. Issue is that mine is out of warranty. Any known TSB or warranty extension on this issue? If not, does anyone know a good fix to be applied? Thanks, Jeff
Welcome to the Forum jzachary.:wavey:
To the best of my knowledge, there is TSB on this or warranty extension. It also does not appear to be a common issue. I can't really tell exactly what the problem is. A picture would help. I'd check with your dealer to see what they recommend.

Peter

I had the same problem and luckily I was still under warranty, so the door panel was replaced free of charge.
It's a poor design: fake sticking and "pinch" point in the highest stressed area of the arm rest!

Hi jzachary,

As Peter suggested, I recommend bringing this to the attention of your dealership so they can check things out and suggest some next steps. Let us know what you hear; if you need my help after your appointment, just PM me your info and I'll see what I can do to assist. Be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Same thing happening the passenger side front door panel on my 2013 Limited so I thought I'd make mention on this thread. It looks like a bubble or blister forming at the point where the armrest meets the vertical part of the panel at a 90 degree angle. Going to be taking it to the dealer later this week. I've got about 32500K on the odometer so hoping not to get too much push back given my Explorer is still under warranty.
-Mike

Peterk9 and Crystal, my issue is the same as the picture posted in the thread. Armrest pulled apart at the seam. I will try to get into the dealership and post what I find out.

thanks

Peterk9 and Crystal, my issue is the same as the picture posted in the thread. Armrest pulled apart at the seam. I will try to get into the dealership and post what I find out.

thanks
There isn't much that can be done to repair that since it isn't a real seam. They only way I can see to fix it is to replace the interior door panel or attempt to somehow glue it back together. In any case, good luck Jeff.

Peter

Same thing happening the passenger side front door panel on my 2013 Limited so I thought I'd make mention on this thread. It looks like a bubble or blister forming at the point where the armrest meets the vertical part of the panel at a 90 degree angle. Going to be taking it to the dealer later this week. I've got about 32500K on the odometer so hoping not to get too much push back given my Explorer is still under warranty.
-Mike

Hi Mike,

Definitely let us know what you hear from the dealer, and feel free to reach out to me via PM as well. I'll get your regional customer service manager involved so they can assist; be sure to include your info in your PM: full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Arm rest separating too

I also have the same issue on my 2011 Explorer. It is in exactly the same spot as user JohnC12 (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375371&highlight=arm+rest).

I am in Canada and my warranty is done. Upon reading this forum I guess it doesn't hurt to check with my dealer but historically the dealer hasn't been too accommodating for things that are a known FORD problem. I will try.

Andy

The seam splitting is a known issue and the engineers are looking at the part and working with the supplier. I would push the dealership on having it covered since its a problem from way back. Use the Canadian Ford Rep on this site to assist.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Sgt1411 thanks for such a speedy response. I will certainly press the issue with my dealer.

I apologize, but could you let me know who the Canadian Rep is whom you referred to on this site (just in case I need him/her). I looked but I did not see a Canadian Service Rep.

Andy

Back