Sport 2014 or wait for 2015

dmitry_s

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond Hill, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
Guys, need your advice...
Should I order and wait for 2015 Sport fully loaded or get 2014 now for $6K cheaper. Looking for 48m lease. They only have white 2014 left (wife does not like the black). I think 2015 in gray magnetic would look sharp though... Just not sure if I should wait 12 wks and overpay $6K for it...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm going through the same thing, just for a XLT purchase.

There's little difference in the 2014 and 2015 models, so I say get the 2014 now.

That's what I'm planning on doing.

Let us know, with pictures, what you decide.

Yeah, I think I'm leaning towards 2014... Too much of a price difference for a heated steering wheel and a colour. Besides, waiting three possible four mounts would kill me...
Will know this week.

I'm caught in the same dilemma. 2015 vs. 2014 Limited. As far as I have read there is no difference in these two correct?

How does it work when you lease a 2014 vs. 2015? (Year difference)

Theres more then just a heated wheel and colours.

Have a look at the Order Guide

PowerFold 2/3rd row seats is something I really miss. Younger kids can't manually fold the seats.

Comes down to what's more important to you.

I'm caught in the same dilemma. 2015 vs. 2014 Limited. As far as I have read there is no difference in these two correct?

How does it work when you lease a 2014 vs. 2015? (Year difference)

The lease rates are 4.9% for 2015 compare to 0.9% for the 2014.
Looks like the only Sports are left in Ontario are black one - my least fav colour.
My dealer is searching if he can find one in ON or QC.

What color are you looking for?

Silver or White for 2014. I really like Magnetic Gray on the 2015 though.
The thing with black is - sure it looks good and everything, but any scratch any dust/dirt really shows... Would need to wash it two three times a week to keep it clean.

Ordered my 2015 Sport May 15, 2014. I think the added options are worth the wait. No word on a production date but having ordered vehicles before and with the year switch I'm expecting delivery sometime in July.

Should I order and wait for 2015 Sport fully loaded or get 2014 now for $6K cheaper. Looking for 48m lease. They only have white 2014 left (wife does not like the black). I think 2015 in gray magnetic would look sharp though... Just not sure if I should wait 12 wks and overpay $6K for it...

I just picked up my 2014 sport week and a half ago and I love it. I too could have waited for the 2015 but at what cost? Great savings now if you need a car otherwise wait until next year when 2015's are marked down.

I don't know if it is the same in all areas but ordering one might take longer than you expect. I ordered a 14 Sport and it took one month, from the completion date, for the vehicle to be shipped to my dealership. Just a word of caution if you don't want to wait too long. According to my dealership this is a nation wide problem?

Chicago to an hour north of Atlanta.

I don't know if it is the same in all areas but ordering one might take longer than you expect. I ordered a 14 Sport and it took one month, from the completion date, for the vehicle to be shipped to my dealership. Just a word of caution if you don't want to wait too long. According to my dealership this is a nation wide problem?

I ordered mine October 5, 2013. We were told no longer than 10 weeks wait. We finally picked it up February 21, 2014. It landed on valentine's day and we had a few things done to it before delivery. Very frustrating that's for sure.

What did you end up doing? Curious as I just went through this same dilemma. In the end I ordered a 2015 on a 2 year lease. The monthly difference was @$60.00 more on the 2015 however that could end up less if Ford has more incentives by the time the vehicle gets delivered in late August. I also wanted Adaptive Cruise which seems to be a hard feature to find. In the end I got exactly what I wanted and I'm good with waiting.

What did you end up doing? Curious as I just went through this same dilemma. In the end I ordered a 2015 on a 2 year lease. The monthly difference was @$60.00 more on the 2015 however that could end up less if Ford has more incentives by the time the vehicle gets delivered in late August. I also wanted Adaptive Cruise which seems to be a hard feature to find. In the end I got exactly what I wanted and I'm good with waiting.

My dealer said he can't find a Sport; he is still looking... But I'm not getting my hopes up.
It looks like I'll have to wait for the 2015 but they are not even on the ford.ca yet; I know ford US has switched, but we seem to be always behind here in Canada when it comes down to new product.
Hopefully in July Ford Canada will switch to 2015 line-up and change a lease rates from 4.99% to somewhat reasonable.

My dealer said he can't find a Sport; he is still looking... But I'm not getting my hopes up.
It looks like I'll have to wait for the 2015 but they are not even on the ford.ca yet; I know ford US has switched, but we seem to be always behind here in Canada when it comes down to new product.
Hopefully in July Ford Canada will switch to 2015 line-up and change a lease rates from 4.99% to somewhat reasonable.

I heard from my dealer yesterday. I ordered on June 10 and it appears it will be ready for me to pick up in early August - a month earlier that I expected (or wanted) but that's OK... Hopefully Ford Canada catches up for you soon!

For what's worth, you can reduce the lease rate by the use of multiple refundable security deposits. The maximum amount you can lower it is 1.5%. When I leased my 2011 Limited in March 2011, the rate was 4.99%. By putting $6250 down, I reduced the rate to 3.49% for 48 months. This March the dealer made me an offer that was hard to turn down. The Explorer had 12 months remaining on the lease and they paid that off and put me in a new vehicle and returned the $6250 deposit which I applied toward the new vehicle's 36 month lease. In short I got a $59K vehicle for $45,500.
I also used these multiple deposits with Toyota for 10 years.

Peter

If you don't care about:
power 3rd row seat
power 2nd row assist (captains chairs only)
color (Dark Grey not available in sport until 2015)
Tow package included.
heated steering wheel

Then go with the 2014 if you can find one.

Personally I hated that you could not get the sport with power 3rd row yet you could get the power 3rd row in the limited (lame since the sport cost more) and I really wanted to dark grey. So I actually waited until the 2015 came out to see if I could get the color I wanted and the power 3rd row. I was very happy to find out both were available! I am not sure I would have purchased one without the power 3rd row because once you have power it is hard to go back to manual (especially since those seats are a pain!)

Good Luck!

Sport costs more only because of the engine. The Limited is the one with more options and therefore is considered the top model.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe the brakes are the same now on all models. I think they were upgraded midway through the 2013 model year. I believe the Limited has about half a dozen options that you can't get on the Sport including Park Assist and HID headlamps. The Sport has the V6 Ecoboost engine. Manufacturers typically offer packages that are exclusive to a certain model. That is one thing that sets them apart. I'm curious as what the redesigned 2016 models will offer. For 2015, you can already order an XLT that looks quite similar to the Sport in appearance.

Peter

Back