Split Armrest Issue | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Split Armrest Issue

I also have the same issue on my 2011 Explorer. It is in exactly the same spot as user JohnC12 (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375371&highlight=arm+rest).

I am in Canada and my warranty is done. Upon reading this forum I guess it doesn't hurt to check with my dealer but historically the dealer hasn't been too accommodating for things that are a known FORD problem. I will try.

Andy
Welcome to the Forum Android.:wavey:
Andy, you can contact Bianca (FordServiceCA) using this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=233337
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.
Good luck.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks so much... you guys are great. I'll keep you posted.

Andy

...thanks for such a speedy response. I will certainly press the issue with my dealer...

Hi Android,

Thank you for reaching out to me. Have you already booked an appointment with your dealer? Please send me the odometer reading of your vehicle; I’ll look into it. ;)

Kwasi

No I have not contacted my dealer yet. The flaw was just discovered this past Monday (May 26, 2014) and the first thing I did was look on the Internet to see if this was a problem with others.

I was hoping to book an appointment with my dealer for Monday next week. Should I still proceed that way?

Andy

...I was hoping to book an appointment with my dealer for Monday next week. Should I still proceed that way? Andy

Hi Andy,

You surely can. ;) To locate the nearest dealer, click on this: http://www.ford.ca/dealerships/locate/ Please pass on the current odometer reading of your vehicle; I’ll check the options available.

Kwasi

Latest on Door Panel

Finally getting back to you: I just spoke to my local dealer that I use, and as I expected, his first comment was that Ford will not cover any wear items! End of discussion (my words). I have an appointment booked for next week but he just says they use an upholstery guy and will see what he thinks how much a fix would be. Not!

So, I will need some assistance because I don't think this is fair. My kilometres are over warranty at 135,500. But I am not a big guy, I don't put a lot of weight on the armrest and I'm very particular of my vehicle.

I hope Ford can help correct this.

I have shared some pics and they look the same as others have submitted. The one picture you can see another crack developing not on the seam but where it curves up the door panel.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=9D7C706EF3DD3B84%21112

I'm not sure if my sharing of photos will work... I'm very computer savy, except I've never shared pics on forums before. I apologize if they can't be viewed.

Finally getting back to you: I just spoke to my local dealer that I use, and as I expected, his first comment was that Ford will not cover any wear items! End of discussion (my words). I have an appointment booked for next week but he just says they use an upholstery guy and will see what he thinks how much a fix would be. Not!

So, I will need some assistance because I don't think this is fair. My kilometres are over warranty at 135,500. But I am not a big guy, I don't put a lot of weight on the armrest and I'm very particular of my vehicle.

I hope Ford can help correct this.

I have shared some pics and they look the same as others have submitted. The one picture you can see another crack developing not on the seam but where it curves up the door panel.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=9D7C706EF3DD3B84%21112

Forget Ford! A local upholstery shop will do it better than any dealership and you will be surprised how inexpensive it is to get done.

I had issues in the past with tears, etc. The local shop has never let me down.

Buzz

Hi Andy,

You surely can. ;) To locate the nearest dealer, click on this: http://www.ford.ca/dealerships/locate/ Please pass on the current odometer reading of your vehicle; I’ll check the options available.

Kwasi

Hi Kwasi:

I posted the odometer reading (135,500 km) in the continuing forum discussion but I wonder if you had any time to check on my options. My local dealer is adamant that Ford would not cover anything. If this is the case then I'm very disappointed with Ford and I will have to get an upholstery person to at least repair it to keep it from getting worse.

Please advise me, if you can, as to which option to proceed.

Andy

Finally got the Exp. in to fix the arm rest. Somehow the dealership service department has been leaving messages on someone's machine other than ours for 2 months. Hard to figure out since we have been buying from them since 1989 ! We have called from time to time to check and kept getting the same answer-" nope not in yet ."
But that's not the great part , Dealership is 45 minutes away ,we drop off the truck at 8:30 , at 2:30 we get the call that the panel that has been setting there for two months is fubared and they have to order another one .

...But that's not the great part , Dealership is 45 minutes away ,we drop off the truck at 8:30 , at 2:30 we get the call that the panel that has been setting there for two months is fubared and they have to order another one .

Sounds frustrating, cowpusher. My offer to assist still stands; PM me your info and I'll get to work on some options. As a reminder, I'll need your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealer info to get started. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Thank you for your offer to help. I have never had problems of any kind with this dealership since 1989 . I believe the screwup stems from the owner's health problems and a personality problem with the new parts manager . It is a old family dealership and there have been a lot of changes over the last 6 months , not all for the good.
The owner is back now and I spoke to him . He is not a happy camper , so we will see what happens next .

Thank you for your offer to help. I have never had problems of any kind with this dealership since 1989 . I believe the screwup stems from the owner's health problems and a personality problem with the new parts manager . It is a old family dealership and there have been a lot of changes over the last 6 months , not all for the good.
The owner is back now and I spoke to him . He is not a happy camper , so we will see what happens next .

Keep us in the loop. I'll be here if you need my assistance. :)

Crystal

...Please advise me, if you can, as to which option to proceed.
Andy

Thank you for the info, Android. I understand your disappointment and encourage you to continue working with your dealer as they are in the best position to assist. If you need anything within my scope; I’ll be here. :)

Kwasi

It just keeps getting better. They had a panel overnighted which I didn't ask for but really appreciated . Open it up and this one is Fubared also ! So we wait to see what is behind door # 3 when the next one gets here .

This is getting bloody freaking stupid . Just got a call from the dealer , guess what ? The one behind door #3 is screwed up also :mad:. Now they are trying to source one from somewhere else but it will be middle of next week .

Got a call @ 2:30 today that the Explorer was ready . YEA ! Looks great , talked to the service mgr and owner, both were glad to see us gone :D .They joked that I must be driving it alot because my wifes cars never give them problems while my trucks give them fits. They had washed it and filled it up with fuel.
Next is the steering recall I guess .

We are having the same issue in our 2012 Ford Explorer on the driver door. We are sitting at just over 50,000 miles, but I have an extended service plan, the Premiumcare Package for 6 years, 100,000 miles. I stopped by my ford dealer today and he essentially said it isn't covered. I had him try and look into it more, and he called me a few hours later and said that it was normal wear and tear. I asked him if he contacted Ford, and he said no need it wouldn't be covered and if I wanted to escalate it to Ford I would have to do that myself. I asked him for contact information, and he told me I could find that online, and that was the end of the conversation.

I just finished sending a PM to Crystal, so we shall see how this goes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you check out post 46? Quite a few members have had all or part covered by warranty or other arrangements.

Peter

Back