Manual BW 13-54 swap info needed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Manual BW 13-54 swap info needed

Ok I know there are many threads on this but I have searched and searched and I can't find exactly what I am looking for. Here is what I want to do. I have the electronic push button T-case in my 93 Sport with the Mazda 5 speed tranny and I would like to convert it to the manual BW 13-54 T-case. I know it has been done by other members so I know it can be done.

What I need to know is What exactly do I need to do this and if you have part numbers that would help alot. What is the dificulty of this swap? Will it bolt right up or will I need to modify somethings? Do I need to get a new speedo sensor? Also do any of the rangers come with this T-case? and If so can it be used in a 93 Sport?

Thanks for your Info and If any moderators feel this needs to be deleted because it has been asked so many times feel free to do so.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For manual trans Explorers

Ok it is very easy to do this to any Explorer out there.

You will need:

BW 1354 Manual T-case

Manual Shift linkages part #OF0TZ-7210-A

Transmission Hump plate with two holes for Shifter (one hole if auto)

New Tranmission tranfercase boot. (the Stock one will not Work)

and a Shifter knob for the transfercase.

This is all you will need to do the Conversion.

Also My transfer case came from a 94 Ranger so they are not that hard to find.

Thank you kris that was exactly what I was looking for.
So basically it will bolt up in place of the other T-case with no problems.

i guess it will work on a automatic 94 then too....this sounds like a good idea... i may do it eventually, just to have a silver skull with lighted red eyes oas a shift knob.

yes this would work for an Auto tranny also. You need the Same Parts listed. You just need a different part #s for the Boot and the transmission hump plate for an auto Transmisson.

ok but im cheap can i get the t-case from a ranger/expo from a junkyard and use all the stock linkage, knob, boot and just cut a hole in my floor? i'm assuming i can so i can do it cheaper. also what did you do with the switch panel kris? im thinking arb switches but thats years down the road.. just curious i'll probably snatch the fake vent thingy

yes you can get a ranger T-case that is what I have. as long as it is a BW 13-54 If you have a truck you are pulling ti from get the hump plate too. If I was doing it I would not cut the Hole my self. The Fake vet is what you do do replace the buttons

You can also find the BW 1354 Manual also in Bronco II's. Along with rangers and possibly 93+ mazda B series. They will work on any compact ford compact truck tranny, auto or manual.

Good Luck

I have never seen a Bronco 2 with a 13-54... I have an 85 Bronco 2 at my house and it has a 13-50 I know the 13-54 will interchange with the 13-50 but you might have to mod the Drive shafts. Also Your Best bet is a Ranger 3.0 or 4.0 the T-case was rare in Explorers but still they can be found. All Mazda Trucks and Navajos did not have the Manual T-case as an option it would have to be installed afterwards.

okay my stupid favorite junkyard has not quoted me a price yet but what should i expect to pay?

I payed $400.00 for a low mileage t-case with a 6 month warrenty.

wow that much??? did they give you anything for your elec shift t-case??

I didnt have an Elec t-case... My Navajo was 2wd before installing the T-case. But the hard part is finding one. Mine came from Alabama and I live in Texas...

I got a manual Borg Warner 13-54 out of a 1990 Bronco II for $165 through junkyarddog.com. So I guess Bronco II's had them in later model years. Is the 1354 better than a 13-50, or is the only difference the driveshaft connection?

hello all, I guess this is the place for this question so I'll ask, but redirect me if I'm wrong. I'm getting a manual BW out of an '86 Bronco II. Is this the 1354 that will swap right into my 94 4x4 w/ the push button BW-1354? Also, how much will the other stuff( new plate, shift boot, etc.) cost me and how hard is this swap to attempt? Thanks for any advice.

Okay,

A little clarification on the differences between the BW 1350 and BW 1354 t cases.

The 1350 and 1354 have the same transmission bolt pattern. Either one will bolt up to a stock transmission.

The electric shift 1350 and 1354 use the same shift motor and wire pin out.

The low range ratio on the 1350 is 2.5. On the 1354 it is 2.8.

The rear driveshaft flange is the same.

The front driveshaft is completly different. The 1350 uses a slip joint within tcase. The 1354 has a spicer ujoint flange and the slip joint is within the shaft. Both use the same ujoint on the differential side.

I hope this answers some questions.

Brett,

Thanks that helpped a lot

Randall,

Your Bronco II has a 1350.

Originally posted by Brett
Okay,

The low range ratio on the 1350 is 2.5. On the 1354 it is 2.8.

I'm pretty sure the 1354 has a 2.48 low range.

Ranger,

Your right. I double checked the low ratio for both the 1350 and 1354 to be 2.48. The drive gear for the spedo gear is different.

Also, some 1990 Bronco II's and Rangers did come with a 1354 tcase. The change over was mid year.

Sorry for the confusion.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is there any way to convert my electric shift to a manual shift?
Can I just remove the shift motor and replace with linkage or do I need the whole transfer case?

thanks fo r all your guys knowledge!!

Back