Need help finding transfer case and vehicle speed sensor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help finding transfer case and vehicle speed sensor

Roon

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Hi, sorry for the newbieness but i need help finding where the transfer case is located on my 97 ford explorer. The reason is my speedometer is jumping from the speed im going to zero and eventually stops working. I was told that my model has a sensor on the transfer case that tells how fast im going and most likely went bad. So what im trying to say is i need help with the location of the transfer case and vehicle speed sensor location, thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The transfer case is gonna be right behind the transmission with the driveshaft coming out of the back of it. I know they changed the position of the speed sensor over the course of a few years, so if it were me, I would look up a picture of the sensor on one of the aftermarket parts websites and look for the correct plug-in (it will have wires running to it, of course) I know I have read some posts in some of these forums about sensor location too, so you should be able to find it if you keep looking......
Good luck! :)

I'm assuming you have an auto trans - the transfer case (shown at the back of the transmission in this diagram) will be the same with a manual trans. The VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) is at the rear of the transfer case.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-11-04 at 9.21.39 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-11-04 at 9.21.39 PM.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 204,493

thanks for the help i think i might have located it but not totally sure right by the drive train there is a group of wires going into what i think is the transfer case

thanks for the help i think i might have located it but not totally sure right by the drive train there is a group of wires going into what i think is the transfer case

No intent of being rude or finding fault with you, OK? But for your own peace of mind, should you be delving into something like this if doing so stands a chance of making matters worse? imp

Follow the rear driveshaft from the rear axle, forward to the transfer case. The VSS is the sensor closest to the where the driveshaft enters the transfer case. There is a hall effect sensor that is there also, but it is slightly lower than the Vehicle Speed Sensor.
6713.jpg

6709.jpg

Old post I know, but I need some advice on the hall effect sensor in post #6 bottom pic. Mine has a small leak coming from the lip that mates up to the case and I was wondering if I could put some silicone around it to stop the leak. Ford says the part is not available, and can only be replaced with a new transfer case.

Pretty sure it has an o ring, if so that should be pretty easy to replace

Old post I know, but I need some advice on the hall effect sensor in post #6 bottom pic. Mine has a small leak coming from the lip that mates up to the case and I was wondering if I could put some silicone around it to stop the leak. Ford says the part is not available, and can only be replaced with a new transfer case.

Mine leaked (years ago) and I fixed it with a new o-ring... the o-ring wasn't available from the dealer and Napa didn't have it so I ended up buying a new sensor which included the o-ring. About $30 at the time.

BTW, the dealer had previously tried to fix the leak with silicone which did not work.

Mine leaked (years ago) and I fixed it with a new o-ring... the o-ring wasn't available from the dealer and Napa didn't have it so I ended up buying a new sensor which included the o-ring. About $30 at the time.

BTW, the dealer had previously tried to fix the leak with silicone which did not work.

Thanks!, would you happen to have a part number...

Thanks!, would you happen to have a part number...

Dude....you must think I keep every receipt no matter how old it is. What kind of crazy person would do that?

1L2Z-7F293-AB SENSOR ASY - TRA List Price (Aug 2002) $32.59

Dude....you must think I keep every receipt no matter how old it is. What kind of crazy person would do that?

1L2Z-7F293-AB SENSOR ASY - TRA List Price (Aug 2002) $32.59

LMAO... I don't keep them either. By the way, Ford now want's 65.00 for the part so I'm going to let it go since it's a small leak...

IIRC - the o-ring Ford uses is called a double seal or x-ring. They carry them at McMaster Carr, http://www.mcmaster.com/#o-rings/=sfem1t

You will need to measure the old one. You can get 100 for less than $12. Sell the others to recoup your investment.

No, I don't know what size you need. :D

Follow the rear driveshaft from the rear axle, forward to the transfer case. The VSS is the sensor closest to the where the driveshaft enters the transfer case. There is a hall effect sensor that is there also, but it is slightly lower than the Vehicle Speed Sensor.
View attachment 236050
View attachment 236051
My USB Ob2 normally shows real time speed / engine load etc. After installing a used transfer case it now shows 0mph. No matter how fast I drive.

It seems to be affecting my transmission, which shifts rough and won't go into 5th gear anymore.

It must be the transfer case I installed right?

Using your part number I found this. Would this help me?

Screenshot_20230615-123725.png

Screenshot_20230615-125412.png

Here is a vss for a 97 explorer (vehicle speed sensor)
It is retained with a single 10 or 11mm nut
Do not over tighten

It has a driven gear in the end of it, the gear is easy to change they come with different number of teeth depending on your ring and pinion gear ratios and your tire size. The gear is held in place with a simple metal clip

There is also a drive gear inside the case
With your finger you can reach in and feel the drive gear
These are plastic gears they wear out
If the drive gear is worn down the middle you will get no reading or a reading that bounces around on the speedometer

Back