Hood Deflector | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hood Deflector

possibilities...

Thank you all for the replies and pics.
I got an email response from the stealership where the brochure came from to an inquiry and he said the one in the pic I posted is available for about $87

Either way, I need/want one and if it happens to be the right one, I will post the part number so everyone can have it by searching here. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That would be great we've had customers asking about it too, cuase the way it wraps around like that.

AVS Bug Deflector Installation

Hey troops how are? Well I just installed an AVS deflector on my 2013 Explorer, it's a police Interceptor, for the most part the installation went as per the instructions, however in the end the hood would not close. I had to add a couple of washers to the "latch" to bring it into contact with the locking mechanism.

Has anyone else had to make a similar modification? I can't see there being a difference in the hoods? from model to model? I could be wrong though?

Hey troops how are? Well I just installed an AVS deflector on my 2013 Explorer, it's a police Interceptor, for the most part the installation went as per the instructions, however in the end the hood would not close. I had to add a couple of washers to the "latch" to bring it into contact with the locking mechanism.

Has anyone else had to make a similar modification? I can't see there being a difference in the hoods? from model to model? I could be wrong though?
As per my PM, I have merged your thread with this existing one.

Peter

Welcome back to the 80's! :D

Should have gone with 3M Clear Bra.

If anyone is looking to install a hood bug deflector would suggest the Lund. Just finished putting it on my silver Ex and it looks great and went on very easy. Bought the Ford bug deflector and after looking at all the pieces and clips opts for the Lund.

Welcome back to the 80's! :D

Should have gone with 3M Clear Bra.
A hood deflector does more than just protect the paint. It also serves to lessen the amount of 'bug splatter' on the windshield by changing the airflow to some degree. That is why it is called a 'deflector' not a 'protector' although it does both something the clear bra or similar products do not.

Peter

I'm surprised that more owners haven't "chimed in" with respect to the latch fix? I'm wondering if my vehicle is the execption and not the rule? I don't think that the police interceptor would be "different" from the regular base model or the XLR, or sport.

Never had an issue with 'bug splatter', but even if I did, I would not want that ugly retro thing on my car. I'd would rather just clean my windshield more often.

A hood deflector does more than just protect the paint. It also serves to lessen the amount of 'bug splatter' on the windshield by changing the airflow to some degree. That is why it is called a 'deflector' not a 'protector' although it does both something the clear bra or similar products do not.

Peter

Never had an issue with 'bug splatter', but even if I did, I would not want that ugly retro thing on my car. I'd would rather just clean my windshield more often.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.;)
I don't think it is ugly or retro. I think it looks just fine. There are a few things that people have added to their vehicles that I don't care for but they obviously do. That is part of the freedom of choice and who am I to criticize them.

Peter

Some of the deflectors are clear and your local truck accessory shop will paint the backside to match the vehicle color. You don't even notice them until your up close.

Deflectors do last longer than 3M tape.

Deflector and paint for under $100.

Jetz,

A lot of guys here are in Provinces/States that do not salt the roads in the winter, they put down pea gravel mixed with some sort of ice retardant which again is like gravel so consequently the rear tires of vehicles throw up this combo and crack out windshields. I only have 4,000 kms, 2,500 miles on my Explorer and have to replace the windshield already. 3M clear bra won't protect the windshield.

geezerglide

So YOU 'believe' (lol) that having a "bug deflector' that would not happen?

Ok Canuck, if that's what you believe.

Jetz,

A lot of guys here are in Provinces/States that do not salt the roads in the winter, they put down pea gravel mixed with some sort of ice retardant which again is like gravel so consequently the rear tires of vehicles throw up this combo and crack out windshields. I only have 4,000 kms, 2,500 miles on my Explorer and have to replace the windshield already. 3M clear bra won't protect the windshield.

geezerglide

It may certainly cut down the incidents since the deflector sits a bit higher than the hood itself and has a bit of a curved edge. It is really more helpful in reducing windshield 'bug splatter' since it changes the air flow to some degree. I had them on 4 previous vehicles and not only do they protect the edge of the hood but they do help reduce the incidents of Kamikaze bugs.

Peter

Remote start and bug deflector

Looking to do two things to my 2012 Explorer XLT.
I am interested in possibly installing a bug deflector but not sure if it will help or hurt. What about gas mileage? Do I go with Lund, AVS, weather tech or some other?

Next, I'm looking at a plug and play remote starter. I have all power except the lift gate. I want the new Key w/fob. I have been looking at the bb5z-19g364-a. This unit appears to be a better one at 300' and has integrated key w/ fob. I hate having the extra fob just for the starter.

Any thought/ comments?

Looking to do two things to my 2012 Explorer XLT.
I am interested in possibly installing a bug deflector but not sure if it will help or hurt. What about gas mileage? Do I go with Lund, AVS, weather tech or some other?

Next, I'm looking at a plug and play remote starter. I have all power except the lift gate. I want the new Key w/fob. I have been looking at the bb5z-19g364-a. This unit appears to be a better one at 300' and has integrated key w/ fob. I hate having the extra fob just for the starter.

Any thought/ comments?
Welcome to the Forum Chaostoday.:wavey:
As per my PM, I have merged your thread with this existing one on the deflector question.
For the remote start, please check out the following thread;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=333902&highlight=remote+start

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bump

Back