• Register Today It's free!

Liftgate rust

adams192

Reaction score
City, State
Hanover, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer
Hello, I am new to the forum. I have a 2011 Explorer Base. I purchased this vehicle a few months ago as a certified pre-owned. I recently discovered that the bottom of the tailgate where the drain holes are is apparently rusting inside. I have some small bubbling and cracked paint. I had it to the dealer today and they photographed it and sent the pics to Ford to see if they would repair it under warranty. I received a phone call about an hour later saying they wouldn't. I have searched this issue with no luck. Anyone else see or hear of this issue ?? ....Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is the first I've read of it for the rear lift gate. Once outside the bumper to bumper warranty, Ford won't cover paint/rust defects unless the rust has eaten through the metal.

Only issue I've seen is the lip of the hood bubbling. My guess is from how the aluminum is molded and painted, it sometimes doesn't adhere properly but the tailgate is not aluminum.

Hello, I am new to the forum. I have a 2011 Explorer Base. I purchased this vehicle a few months ago as a certified pre-owned. I recently discovered that the bottom of the tailgate where the drain holes are is apparently rusting inside. I have some small bubbling and cracked paint. I had it to the dealer today and they photographed it and sent the pics to Ford to see if they would repair it under warranty. I received a phone call about an hour later saying they wouldn't. I have searched this issue with no luck. Anyone else see or hear of this issue ?? ....Thanks
Welcome to the Forum adams192.:wavey:
As blwnsmoke mentioned, it is also the first incident like that which I have read about. The only other thing I can suggest is that you send a private message to Crystal (FordService) the Ford rep on this forum and see if there is anything she can do to assist you. You can use this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
Include your name, daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealership info in your message. Good luck.

BTW, is the factory 3 year, 36,000 mile factory warranty still in effect?

Peter

Edited: Just found out rust under the paint is indeed covered under the 3/36 warranty, after that, it has to actually go through the metal, essentially creating a hole.

Hello, I am new to the forum. I have a 2011 Explorer Base. I purchased this vehicle a few months ago as a certified pre-owned. I recently discovered that the bottom of the tailgate where the drain holes are is apparently rusting inside. I have some small bubbling and cracked paint...

Hi adams192,

As Peter mentioned, I'll be happy to look into this for you. Just PM me the info he listed and I'll check some options to help. :thumbsup:

Crystal

When my hood was being repainted last week, (looks great BTW!!), the body shop mentioned to two trouble areas for the new Explorer are the hood and liftgate. I suspect we might start seeing more of these issues in the future.

The hood is aluminum.....is the liftgate too?

When my hood was being repainted last week, (looks great BTW!!), the body shop mentioned to two trouble areas for the new Explorer are the hood and liftgate. I suspect we might start seeing more of these issues in the future.

The hood is aluminum.....is the liftgate too?
Nope. Not unless aluminum has suddenly become magnetic.;)

Peter

A Ford Rep. contacted me by telephone today and they are going to find a solution hopefully ! That was my next question. The Rep. thought the rear lift gate may be aluminum. A magnet sticks to mine.

Rust on tailgate

My saga with my 2011 Explorer continues. Just past 36,000 miles (no extended warranty) and we discovered a rust spot on the tailgate. I haven't called the dealership yet but I am hoping they will cover it??? It's so frustrating, I really love the comfort and drive of the explorer but the number of problems I have had so far is making me really hate it! It is reassuring to come on this forum and find others who are having similar problems...although I'm not sure it's reassuring in a good way ;)

My saga with my 2011 Explorer continues. Just past 36,000 miles (no extended warranty) and we discovered a rust spot on the tailgate. I haven't called the dealership yet but I am hoping they will cover it...

Hey MOONMA,

Your dealership's service manager will be in the best position to tell you whether or not a repair can be made under your warranty. PM me once you've had your appointment and I'll do what I can to help, if needed. Just send me the info I mentioned above (full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership) and I'll look into some options. :thumbsup:

Crystal

My saga with my 2011 Explorer continues. Just past 36,000 miles (no extended warranty) and we discovered a rust spot on the tailgate. I haven't called the dealership yet but I am hoping they will cover it??? It's so frustrating, I really love the comfort and drive of the explorer but the number of problems I have had so far is making me really hate it! It is reassuring to come on this forum and find others who are having similar problems...although I'm not sure it's reassuring in a good way ;)

I'm at the dealer right now for a roof leak fix (I hope - first try) from my driver's side third row seat belt and there is a small rust spot near the license plate I noticed the other day. Strikes as the clear not going on well in that area during initial production.

Now I am still under original warranty and they say they have to take pictures and send it to Ford to see if it will be approved, and if so it get sent to a body shop - hopefully one of my choice in the amount they will pay for the fix.

Now, the service guy said he thought paint defects were warrantied for 5 years (which would cover you), but I thought I read on here only one year. I'd think it would be at least within the 36 month factory, which I am under.

Anybody have clarification on that?

Verified by a trusted Ford tech (who patrols the forums I'm on), paint defects are covered under the 3yr/36k.

Update

I just wanted to give you guys an update on my lift gate rust issue. After several calls with the Ford Rep. I was put in contact with, I was able to take my Explorer to a body shop of my choice. I used a local Lincoln Mercury dealer because they have done work for me in the past. I picked up the Explorer today. They repaired the rust issue and I paid a $100 deductible. The body shop manager advised the rust originated under the seam sealer. He took photos and forwarded them to Ford. Overall I am very happy with the repair and the help I received from Ford. They even gave me a rental car at no cost to me. I would like to thank the Ford rep. (Crystal) on this forum for setting this in motion.

-Jim

...Overall I am very happy with the repair and the help I received from Ford. They even gave me a rental car at no cost to me. I would like to thank the Ford rep. (Crystal) on this forum for setting this in motion...

Awesome news, Jim! Thanks for sharing your outcome with us. If I can be of any help in the future, you know how to reach me. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Rust - 2011 Explorer

Just wondering if anyone else has had any issues.

I have had my vehicle 3 years. My tailgate was showing rust and now my hood. I wouldn't expect this to happen in 3 years. The dealership said Ford refused to help me. Customer service would only reiterate the 36k warranty blurb. Am I being to picky or should this be not happening already?

Thanks.

Just wondering if anyone else has had any issues.

I have had my vehicle 3 years. My tailgate was showing rust and now my hood. I wouldn't expect this to happen in 3 years. The dealership said Ford refused to help me. Customer service would only reiterate the 36k warranty blurb. Am I being to picky or should this be not happening already?

Thanks.
As per my PM, I have merged your thread with this existing one on the same liftgate issue. As for the hood, it is aluminum and what you see isn't rust but corrosion. There are several threads already on the issue as well. You can contact Crystal (FordService) and see if there is anything she can do. Some members have had this damage repaired at no cost. I wouldn't expect to see paint issues within 3 years but that doesn't mean Ford has to repair it for free. Everyone had the option to buy an ESP and many did because it was a 'new' model. You can send Crystal a private message using this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.

Peter

this might help:

Attachments

• GWdtbzJ_001.JPG
    GWdtbzJ_001.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 1,195

Back