Umbrella storage

LDC5

Reaction score
City, State
Just north of Boston
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 explorer limited
Hi,
New member and have been searching internet and now this forum for accessories to hold things such as compact umbrella's. I see the ford focus design team gave thought to umbrella storage along side each front seat, but my wife is stuck putting hers on the passenger floor and needs to reach way over to get. Her being 5'2" makes for a struggle at times.

Any advise on learning more on what each of the nooks and crannies within the interior can serve as for holding various common things kept in the vehicle.

Thanks,
LDC5

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum LDC5.:wavey:
Being that I'm the only one usually in the vehicle, I just set my umbrella against the console on the passenger side with the handle hooked in one of the cupholders.:) In my previous Highlander, it actually fit inside the glovebox.

Peter

Hi,
New member and have been searching internet and now this forum for accessories to hold things such as compact umbrella's. I see the ford focus design team gave thought to umbrella storage along side each front seat, but my wife is stuck putting hers on the passenger floor and needs to reach way over to get. Her being 5'2" makes for a struggle at times.

Any advise on learning more on what each of the nooks and crannies within the interior can serve as for holding various common things kept in the vehicle.

Thanks,
LDC5

On a recent road trip, one of my brother-in-laws rode in the front passenger seat and put a lighter in what he thought was a nook but was actually the door handle (which of course is open at the bottom). So plop it went right on the floor bouncing under the seat... that didn't go well. :bsnicker:

Hate to say that I live on Amazon and there's all sorts of "holders" available. I've seen umbrella holders that hook around the headrest (but they seem to be shown for use in the 2nd row).

There should be a slot at the bottom of the door (I think they call it a map holder) that might hold a compact umbrella. The center console might also be able to hold a tiny one... Guess it would depend on the dimensions.

I miss having a cargo area under-floor storage space like what my Escape had. There's not much room in the spot where the spare is in the Explorer.

I have a small compact umbrella under the drivers seat right next to the center console. There is a nice little spot right below/beside the seat mount area.

Get a long umbrella and set it along the console on the passenger side. Handle will wedge well beside the seat and it's not intrusive to passenger at all.
I have a golf-style umbrella and it works perfectly.

Hi,

Thanks,
LDC5

The most effective spot I've found for a compact umbrella (and other items like a mag flashlight) are the pockets behind the front driver and passenger seats. When driving, your wife should be able to easily reach behind the front passenger seat's rear pocket, just enough to grab the umbrella handle. Just remember to put the object in question in the pocket of the seat opposite of the one you are sitting in (in other words, driver can reach behind passenger's seat, passenger can reach behind driver's seat).

As for other nooks and crannies, and what to store in them, it's all about personal preference. When you come home after work every day, you likely put your keys and wallet in certain spot for whatever reason. You instinctively chose it and likely don't remember why. Ease of access, it's visible, it's the only clean spot available, etc.

Glove box could be for paperwork such as owner's manual, car insurance, and other obvious items. I sometimes keep napkins in there (spare ones that I get from fast food restaurants) just in case. Important to keep your glove box organized and uncluttered. Nothing more unattractive than an overstuffed, messy glove box.

Center console is a bit large and deep for anything practical we keep on our person, so it would be ideal to put bigger items in there--especially those that you want to keep hidden while you're out and about such as mobile GPS device, a small note pad, a digital camera, etc. Use the smaller pockets in the center console to store spare change and pens. But if you need quick access, you might feel inconvenienced by having to open the lid and fiddle around the deep and dark console just to find a small lighter, a lip balm, or some other small item.

Instead, use the utility compartment (the open pocket near the auxiliary power point and USB sockets beneath the MFT/knobs) for easily accessible items such as cell phone, cigarettes, hand sanitizer, etc).

Again it's all about personal preference. Let your body naturally put items where it wants, and you'll learn where it's best to store things.

http://www.coolthings.com/worlds-smallest-automatic-umbrella/

Get this - put it in the door. Problem solved. Its no bigger than a bottle of water. You can always have the Golf sized behind the 3rd row if needed.

For those doors whose pockets are big enough, I used to put things in there but found that some items either roll around or rattle too much while driving--which often annoyed me. For those doors whose pockets were too small or barely big enough to hold the item, I would get paranoid thinking something might fall out when opening/closing the door. I honestly hardly ever use them anymore... oh well.

Hi All,
Sorry for delayed thanks for all the feedback and suggestions.

Hi Shadow,
My wife tries to use the pocket behind the passenger seat, but she is short and anyone tall, like myself, who leaves the passenger back, she has difficulty reaching from her seat pulled far forward to the back of the passenger seat pushed back.
Ford needs to perform an updated VOC ( voice of customer) and continue to improve on creature features.

Hi All,
Sorry for delayed thanks for all the feedback and suggestions.

Hi Shadow,
My wife tries to use the pocket behind the passenger seat, but she is short and anyone tall, like myself, who leaves the passenger back, she has difficulty reaching from her seat pulled far forward to the back of the passenger seat pushed back.
Ford needs to perform an updated VOC ( voice of customer) and continue to improve on creature features.

I hear ya... and with you being tall and moving the seat, your wife has a far reach.

Peter's previous idea of using an umbrella's hook, and hooking it to a cupholder is still a good alternative. CountrySquiress' suggestion of using the map holder/lower door pocket is also a good idea. Txaggie's thought of putting the compact umbrella under the driver's seat is noteworthy because your wife can exit the vehicle, keep the door open, and just reach under the seat to grab it--albiet enduring a few drops in the meantime. Using RoamingPhantom's super compact umbrella idea would work and it looks like you could store that thing in the center console area because the pocket is deep enough. Any of those ideas should to work.

Back