Truck Haven Hills, CA in October 25 - 26 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Truck Haven Hills, CA in October 25 - 26

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL '20 ST
Callsign
AB7FH
(September 27 - Update - I just learned that there will be a photographer from one of the magazines attending this run. Let's try to make a good showing for him :chug:)

This will be held Oct 25 - 26. Who's going?

Information about Truck Haven Hills at Salton City, CA.

Truck Haven is a huge playground for off-road vehicles. There are trails for everyone, from mild, to wild. This is a great place to test your driving abilities as well as the capabilities of your Explorer. You can see the kind of fun we've had during previous events by checking out a Trip Report from a previous run

Vehicle damage: There is always a possibility of vehicle damage any time you go offroading. Damage could be to the body, or mechanical.

Normally, the majority of participants camp at our Truck Haven base camp.

There are NO facilities available at Truck Haven. Camping is primitive with no water, toilets or showers available. If you have a porta potty bring it. A 5 gallon bucket with a plastic bag will work well

Bring everything you will need. Everyone is also requested to bring firewood to add to our traditional BIG campfire. If you can't bring any don't worry about it, but the more we have, the bigger the fire

Bring your own cooking supplies. If you don't have any you can probably share someone else's grill.

There is a small grocery store, two truck stops, a Mexican restaurant, and a general menu restaurant in Salton City and just beyond.

Weather conditions in October usually consist of hot days and cool to cold nights, rain could be present. High winds, and driving dust storms are always possible. Come prepared!

This is a newbie friendly run. If you have never wheeled before we would be glad to show you the tricks.

Who is in??

Rick and Char
Bkennedy
Stic-O
Zukman
Tbars4
reapervilleeviltwin
rjcooperss396
Bulldozer
easymc
DB_1
Boomer12
Ritsui
danielwilsey
TDavis

and several undecided...

Attachments

• DSC_2185.jpg
    DSC_2185.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 776
  • DSC_2232.jpg
    DSC_2232.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 772
  • 1D7_0252_800x600.jpg
    1D7_0252_800x600.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 767
  • 1D7_1887_800x530.jpg
    1D7_1887_800x530.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 805

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

WOW! Family portrait!! Mud, Icarus, and JP!! Who knew!
We are planning on being there!

AFAIK, I'm in.. Work changed the vacation policy, so I MUST use up more time this year (I don't really get much)..

I may even make the January one too so I no longer do the January camping trip.

~Mark

..I'm a maybe as might be heading to Reno depending on this runs date and my other engagement..

You know ill be there if I can. .;)

In of course. And yes I do have a date. 25th- 26th. :D

In of course. And yes I do have a date. 25th- 26th. :D

ACK!.. That is the only weekend I can't make in October!!. Eagles are playing in Arizona and I'm going with 20+ people.

~Mark

Looks good for me to make it, notified work today and no problems seem to be rearing their ugly head. Gonna to hit up La Bajada on the way, and anything else I can do on the way out to Ca. :D

That would be awesome if you could join us out there :D :chug:

If the timing is good, we could run a trail in AZ on your way home.

That would be awesome if you could join us out there :D :chug:

If the timing is good, we could run a trail in AZ on your way home.

Oh heck yea, sounds like a plan!! :chug:

Interesting

I did some 4 wheel out there when I had a Range Rover, I have not yet done any with the 2001 Explorer Sport.
I was lucky enough to get the range rover stuck there in the middle of a CORVA event - 3 jeeps with winches and straps to get me unstuck.

That's BLM land - legal for recreational shooting. I might need to combine a passion for shooting with a desire to try some off roading.

I'll see closer to the date.

That's BLM land - legal for recreational shooting. I might need to combine a passion for shooting with a desire to try some off roading.

I'll see closer to the date.

Not anymore. Truckhaven Hills is part of the Ocotillo OHV Area, controlled by the State Parks. They call it the Freeman Property.
I don't know if shooting is allowed anymore there.

...Potato guns are welcomed...:D

Oh heck yea, sounds like a plan!! :chug:

Since I can't make this truckhaven run, I'm up for an Arizona Run on your way back. I've wheel with [MENTION=71]Rick[/MENTION]More in California than in the state we both live in..

~Mark

And Marshmellow guns!! Don't forget the graham crackers and chocolate bars!

Since I can't make this truckhaven run, I'm up for an Arizona Run on your way back. I've wheel with [MENTION=146065]Rick M[/MENTION]ore in California than in the state we both live in..

~Mark

I think I am going to try to figure out how to go on the secondary AZ run.

My 15 - 20 year old maps show the SVRA ending at Arroyo Salida, south of S22.
The website now show the SVRA extends all the way north and east to HWY 86.

I guess I need new maps to be sure where the BLM lands are.
Thanks for giving me the info I need to keep me legal.

...Potato guns are welcomed...:D

Which I recently found out is illegal and considered a firearm in California. :(

Making it pneumatic makes it ok however:D

...Just be sure to remember if you loaded it with potato's or marshmellows when aiming them at the kids...:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Which I recently found out is illegal and considered a firearm in California. :(

Making it pneumatic makes it ok however:D

I wonder how the feel about railguns :D

A railgun is an electrically powered electromagnetic projectile launcher based on similar principles to the homopolar motor. A railgun comprises a pair of parallel conducting rails, along which a sliding armature is accelerated by the electromagnetic effects of a current that flows down one rail, into the armature and then back along the other rail.

Railguns have long existed as experimental technology but the mass, size and cost of the required power supplies have prevented railguns from becoming practical military weapons. However, in recent years, significant efforts have been made towards their development as feasible military technology. For example, in the late 2000s, the U.S. Navy tested a railgun that accelerates a 3.2 kg (7 pound) projectile to hypersonic velocities of approximately 2.4 kilometres per second (8,600 km/h), about Mach 7.[3] They gave the project the Latin motto "Velocitas Eradico", Latin for "I, [who am] speed, eradicate".

Back