Remote start smart phone app ? | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remote start smart phone app ?

Really? So you ran the harness around to the drivers side and plugged it into the OBD II plug under the steering wheel? Did it come with directions that detailed that? That seems odd because it would need to be unplugged to use the OBD port for any diagnostics. Must be a different version because the harness that came with mine had a much smaller plug than the OBD port.

Yes, the harness plugs into the OBD II port, This is a T harness, you have to remove the OBD II port from the IP Frame, then connect the T harness, one end of the T harness will basically replace the OBD II port which can be use for diagnostics. If you follow the link from Benny's post#197, it has the installation instructions that shows the details of the T harness connections.

The difference in the harness is probably because this is now sold separately and not a package (vss and rmu) as it was before. (just my guess)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, the harness plugs in to the OBD II port, This is a T harness, you have to remove the OBD II port from the IP Frame, then connect the T harness, one end of the T harness will basically replace the OBD II port which can be use for diagnostics. If you follow the link from Benny's post#197, it has the installation instructions that shows the details of the T harness connections.

The difference in the harness is probably because this is now sold separately and not a package (vss and rmu) as it was before. (just my guess)

Yeah, that's totally different. I see that those directions have you mount both boxes under the driver's side dash instead of behind the glove box. The VSS key programming process outlined in those directions was not required with the packaged kit.

Yeah, that's totally different. I see that those directions have you mount both boxes under the driver's side dash instead of behind the glove box. The VSS key programming process outlined in those directions was not required with the packaged kit.

I guess, as long as it works it's all good. By the way, how's the sensitivity of the security shock sensor? does it trigger when you kick your tires? I cannot get mine trigger by kicking the tires when sensitivity is set to max...

The sensitivity on mine is maxed. A friend of mine slipped and slapped the bonnet with his hand. That set the alarm off

I guess, as long as it works it's all good. By the way, how's the sensitivity of the security shock sensor? does it trigger when you kick your tires? I cannot get mine trigger by kicking the tires when sensitivity is set to max...

Yeah, if it works it doesn't really matter where it is. I left the shock sensor disabled on mine. I didn't really see a need for it, and didn't want to deal with false alarms.

I'm hearing we might see an enhanced version of the Remote Start App coming sometime in 2014. No timeline just a new App with access to more information on the App like Vehicle Health Report type data.

On* sends it to their App already.

The new Lincoln MKC comes with an embedded modem in the vehicle; using the app it allows you to program the time the vehicle remote starts. I sure hope this feature comes to the '16 Explorer.

I'm all for adding more functionality to the app as long as they don't raise the price. Chrysler charges $20 a month to be able to use their app, which is a ludicrous price. I'm fine with the $50 a year that Ford charges.

So I am finally having the Dealer install this as part of the original purchase deal. Dealer kept trying to install aftermarket "text" Start, which would force me to shut car off and re-starting before driving away due to the fact that I have keyless start. Many excuses used from parts not available to "are you sure that is what you want there is over a $300 annual fee"

It wasn't until I called their sister dealership and they confirmed that they have many parts in stock and annual fee is 49.95.

So one odd question the dealer asked is for both fobs, so that they could be re-programmed?

I don't recall any other discussions about having to re-program the fobs?

They dont need the fobs.

So I finally have this installed and personally love it. I have owned an aftermarket systems in the past, and they both perform similar functions, however I believe the factory ones have some advantages.

The factory remote start app mimics the regular remote starts features, with the addition of giving a runtime, and unlimited range. Additionally the automatic climate system works the same as original start system where if it is cold it will turn all heat functions on and if it is hot it will turn all the cooling functions on.

The drawbacks of the aftermarket systems are that with a keyless start option, you have to shut the car off and restart with the keyless system. The Ford Remote access will allow you to enter the car and depress brake and push start button and car will stay running.

Has anyone figured out how to shut off the horn honk when using this App?

Door lock/unlock or remote start all sound the horn and late at night in the driveway this is annoying.

Im guessing its default and only by IDS tool can it be changed?

Has anyone figured out how to shut off the horn honk when using this App?

No, and I find that annoying too. Not sure why the setting for disabling the horn when using the fob doesn't also apply to the App. I hope they change that.

If someone wants to PM me their info I can see if it's there within the RMU activation settings. Its been a few weeks since I did one so I do not remember.

-Benny

If someone wants to PM me their info I can see if it's there within the RMU activation settings. Its been a few weeks since I did one so I do not remember.

-Benny

What do you need Benny I will do it....?

I have a 2015 sport. If i add ONLY the vehicle security system DL3Z-19A361-A ; the only features I will pick up will be the shock sensor. As in someone has to physically bump (firmly) into my ex to make the alarm go off?

The product page make mention of an interior infrared contents sensor. So if my windows are down and someone reaches past the plane of the door, the alarm will sound? Just trying to see what $150 gets me before ordering.

I have a 2015 sport. If i add ONLY the vehicle security system DL3Z-19A361-A ; the only features I will pick up will be the shock sensor. As in someone has to physically bump (firmly) into my ex to make the alarm go off?

The product page make mention of an interior infrared contents sensor. So if my windows are down and someone reaches past the plane of the door, the alarm will sound? Just trying to see what $150 gets me before ordering.

Yes correct,

The proximity info was transposed from Ford's accessory site but we have found this info to be false and will remove it from all mentions.

-Benny

I'm hearing we might see an enhanced version of the Remote Start App coming sometime in 2014. No timeline just a new App with access to more information on the App like Vehicle Health Report type data. On* sends it to their App already.

I was hoping they would update our apps. It also shows more info like real time climate control.

I really hope they update our apps and that our modems have this connectivity already... They have to throw us a bone somewhere since i don't think they will allow our systems to upgrade to the QNX version of myford touch... Lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was hoping they would update our apps. It also shows more info like real time climate control.

I really hope they update our apps and that our modems have this connectivity already... They have to throw us a bone somewhere since i don't think they will allow our systems to upgrade to the QNX version of myford touch... Lol

All my info is that we will not be left behind we just may not have the full functionality of the next gen QNX version. When the top guys at Ford recognized that MFT was released too early they gave strong indications they would make it right to customers.

I seriously thought we were going to see one more update before that change though.

Back