Split Armrest Issue | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Split Armrest Issue

Thank you for the information. I will try that tomorrow.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For the people that were able to work with customer service and the dealer to facilitate a repair, what did you end up paying for the service?

Just curious as I was just quoted for paying the first $300 and Ford would pay the rest. That was about 3x higher than I was expecting as my vehicle is a 2012 that just turned 37,000.

Wanted to see if that was around what other people paid.

Welcome to the Forum abtbear.:wavey:
According to fordparts.com, the Door Interior Trim Panel (23942) runs from $197.27 to $240.93, depending on colour. That is parts only.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum abtbear.:wavey:
According to fordparts.com, the Door Interior Trim Panel (23942) runs from $197.27 to $240.93, depending on colour. That is parts only.

Peter

Finally done with work so had some time to look into it.

So it looks like if I actually plug in a local dealer that price for a 2012 Limited model Charcoal door trim panel goes down to $130.70 (no tax/shipping in the calculation). Plus in looking a service manual it would be realistic to do the removal and reinstall in about 2 hours. So the $300 is close to, if not the actual cost and therefore their generous offer is basically a rip off as Ford isn't really offering to save me any money on the fix/replacement.

Argh, so frustrating.

2012 Ford Explorer Drivers Side Armrest Tear

My Girlfriend has a 2012 Explorer with the ripped armrest. It has been like this for a long time now and I would like to get it fixed for her. I feel that this is clearly a design flaw and that Ford should pay for this to be fixed but I bet that wont happen. The explorer has around 48000 miles but the armrest has been torn since around 37000-38000 miles. Any suggestions on getting it repaired cheaply?

Thank you for your time on this matter.

I did the super glue method and it worked pretty well. I may still buy a new armrest sometime in the future.

Same exact rip on armrest that John posted on 1st page. Have appointment with dealer on Monday. 2011 - 28,000 miles.

Also in for following:

-Navigation - Dealer reset and reprogrammed per TSB. Continues to not work properly.
-Brake Vibration - Dealer machined brake rotors. Still extremely rough and had to pay extra for this service.
-Steering wheel makes clicking noise while turning - Dealer replaced clock spring in wheel but still clicks. Said its normal operation. Did not make noise for first two years.

Dealer fixed on last service:
-Passenger handle spring fell off inside door - Dealer fixed.

Not issues expected to have when spending $40k+.:thumbdwn:

Peter - Thanks for link. This particular click is inside and from the steering wheel. When turned to a certain degree it makes a click or pop noise. Nothing crazy. Biggest issue for me is sync and armrest falling apart.

Same exact rip on armrest that John posted on 1st page. Have appointment with dealer on Monday. 2011 - 28,000 miles...

Let us know how things go today, Jeradn325. I'm always just a PM away if you need me to step in and help.

Crystal

2011 Ford Explorer Drivers Side Armrest Tear

Well, Seems to be a pretty common issue with these Vehicles and there imitation leather. My vehicle has just over 38K miles on it and I am in my extended warranty period. Brought the vehicle in for a recall and to have some other minor issues taken care of including the tear. I was also informed that it was normal wear and tear. Well not excepting that answer, when I received the questionnaire I let them have it, explaining that it was sad that there interior products were not designed to even out last a set of Tires (As I am still on the original set), Also mentioned that I own a 1996 Ford F-250 with over 200K miles on it and not a single issue with the interior. Well the outcome of all that ranting, I received a call from My local dealer asking me to bring the vehicle to an authorized person in town to get an estimate on a repair, if it can be repaired. I will let everyone know the outcome after that visit. Another thought, If you pay extra, And I do mean a lot extra, for leather, you would think it would include more than just the seats....

Welcome to the Forum Crankykjun.:wavey:
I think they only way to properly have this addressed is by replacing the door panel. This is what was done for other members.
Good luck.

Peter

I had the same tear. Dealer replaced the door panel
after getting approval from Ford.

Let us know how things go today, Jeradn325. I'm always just a PM away if you need me to step in and help.

Crystal

Dealer took photos and sent to Ford. Ford denied claim due to being out of warranty. Was 4-5 days over warranty period outside of three years and only have 27,000 miles on vehicle. Spoke with dealer while in warranty and could not get in until after 3 years was up. Also have the extended warranty and I guess that doesn't matter.

They replaced the entire GPS module as the truck would be on one road and glide across many different street as other reported. I left dealer and it continued this process.

Am done with this car but thanks for follow up. Went to Toyota this weekend and bought a 4Runner.

Same

Pretty much the same situation & dealer response here.

May%2020%20Service%20Record%20copy.jpg

door panel splitting on armrest

I have a 2011 limited with 44K on it and have taken very good care of the vehicle. I am very disappointed to see that my drivers door armrest has startet to split just like all the other ones I have seen on this site. I have no extened warrenty and hope Ford will take care of this problem.

I have a 2011 limited with 44K on it and have taken very good care of the vehicle. I am very disappointed to see that my drivers door armrest has startet to split just like all the other ones I have seen on this site. I have no extened warrenty and hope Ford will take care of this problem.

When are you headed in to your dealership, cbx1047? Once you get this diagnosed, I'll be able to look into ways to help. Keep us posted! :)

Crystal

Thanks Crystal for your concern; I did take my explorer into the ford dealership yesterday regarding the split in drivers door armrest. They took pictures of it and said they would submit them to Ford for review and they would call me when they heard back. Hope this works out..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Crystal for your concern; I did take my explorer into the ford dealership yesterday regarding the split in drivers door armrest. They took pictures of it and said they would submit them to Ford for review and they would call me when they heard back. Hope this works out..

Thanks for following up, cbx1047. PM me with your information and I'll see what I can do to help from my neck of the woods. When writing, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Back