Roof Rack / Rail Removal | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Roof Rack / Rail Removal

Any progress on the parts number on the moulding that goes the full roof length?

The Roof Drip Mouldings (the two mouldings in the front):
- DB5Z-7851728-AA, Right, Police Version
- DB5Z-7851729-AA, Left, Police Version

The moulding that covers the entire length of the gutter:
- ???, Right
- ???, Left

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

RE: Comper's question:"Part numbers for the moulding that covers the entire length of the gutter: - ???, Right - ???, Left"

Again: "RH Less Roof Rack, Police Version", I found this website: http://www.fordpartsgiant.com/partli...-23701849.html

The full part numbers for the Police Interceptor Utility roof mouldings, that RUN FROM THE FRONT SEAT HEADREST AREA TO THE REAR WINDOW, are 5Z-7851728-AA (RH) and 5Z-7851729-AA (LH). They are ~$43/each.

HS2 Screw And Washer Assy **713232-S439 M6 x 22MM, Screw And Washer $0.60

I can't find anything for the two short front moulding pieces (the 50002 part numbers) (Retainer - Roof Trim, RH) 5Z-7850002-AA, and (Retainer - Roof Trim, LH) 5Z-7850002-AB. I don't have an EX with a roof rack to compare to the photos.

Try using this VIN, from a slicktop 2013 Police Interceptor Utility currently on eBay, on any parts page search: 1FM5K8AR8DGB16244 (click VIN for window sticker)

RE: Comper's question:"Part numbers for the moulding that covers the entire length of the gutter: - ???, Right - ???, Left"

Again: "RH Less Roof Rack, Police Version", I found this website: http://www.fordpartsgiant.com/partli...-23701849.html

The full part numbers for the Police Interceptor Utility roof mouldings, that RUNS FROM THE FRONT SEAT HEADREST AREA TO THE REAR WINDOW, are 5Z-7851728-AA (RH) and 5Z-7851729-AA (LH). They are ~$43/each.

HS2 Screw And Washer Assy **713232-S439 M6 x 22MM, Screw And Washer $0.60

I can't find anything for the two short front moulding pieces (the 50002 part numbers) (Retainer - Roof Trim, RH) 5Z-7850002-AA, and (Retainer - Roof Trim, LH) 5Z-7850002-AB. I don't have an EX with a roof rack to compare to the photos.

Try using this VIN, from a slicktop 2013 Police Interceptor Utility currently on eBay, on any parts page search: 1FM5K8AR8DGB16244

Thanks for all the help with trying to find the parts numbers [MENTION=240558]gitme[/MENTION], but the moulding you are referring to (5Z-7851728-AA) is coming up as "Roof Drip Moulding" when I do a search on google. Here is one that I found on eBay. The "Callout name" is also the same as in the picture of the Roof Drip Moulding that [MENTION=147473]ntoda00[/MENTION] is linking to above, from Ford Parts site.

It would surprise me if the retainer differs between the roof rack version and the less roof rack version. Its a snap on system for the front part of the moulding. The drip moulding itself looks pretty much the same, except the police version has holes for the bolts that otherwise holds the rail mount.

I really like the OEM solution and appreciate all the help and pictures you've contributed with to make it happen ...we're soo clooose now ;)

OK, comper- If you use the 2013 VIN that I provided above, and contact a Ford dealer's parts department, they can verify the part numbers for you.

In Ford lingo, the VIN above is NOT an Explorer VIN, it is a Police Interceptor Utility VIN. In a walk-in, with pictures that are posted here to show that you're looking for 4 mouldings and 4 HS2 bolts/washers (p/n above) for a slicktop Police interceptor Utility, they can provide full info on the O.E. mouldings.

I'm pretty sure the DB5Z-7851728-AA and DB5Z-7851729-AA 'roof drip' mouldings will be the long ones, as the short front ones appear to be the <50002 series parts, per this auction listing - BB5Z7850002AA (see part number 3).

Roof drip mouldings routinely are applied above side windows, from windshield to rear window. In earlier years, drip mouldings prevented water drips from entering the top of partially open side windows when driving in the rain.

UPDATED: 08/22/2014

Here's where I'm at with the understanding of all the parts needed to make a roof rack Explorer (or roof racked Police Interceptor Utility) into a slick top...

Part: DB5Z-7851728-AA (Roof Drip Moulding Police Version, Less Roof Rack; RH, Carbon Black) - MSRP $60.53 according to www.fordparts.com
Location: This is the black visible moulding/covering that runs in the roof gutter on the passenger side of the vehicle between the top of the windshield and runs toward the rear of the vehicle, stopping just short of the B Pillar.

Part: DB5Z-7851729-AA (Roof Drip Moulding Police Version, Less Roof Rack; LH, Carbon Black) - MSRP $62.05 according to www.fordparts.com
Location: This is the black visible moulding/covering that runs in the roof gutter on the driver side of the vehicle between the top of the windshield and runs toward the rear of the vehicle, stopping just short of the B Pillar.

Part: DB5Z-785002-A (Retainer - Roof Trim) - MSRP $5.93 according to www.fordparts.com
Location: This piece is used as the foundation for the "Roof Drip Moulding Police Version, Less Roof Rack". It's bolted to the A Pillar using one of the **713232-S439 (Screw M6 x 33). The "Rood Drip Moulding Police Version, Less Roof Rack" is then mounted to this piece.

Part: DB5Z-785002-B (Retainer - Roof Trim) - MSRP $26.25 according to www.fordparts.com
Location: This piece is used as the foundation for the "Roof Drip Moulding Police Version, Less Roof Rack". It's bolted to the A Pillar using one of the **713232-S439 (Screw M6 x 33). The "Rood Drip Moulding Police Version, Less Roof Rack" is then mounted to this piece.

*** NOTE: Regarding DB5Z-785002-A and DB5Z-785002-B, I forgot to identify which piece was for which side (driver vs. passenger) before I took it out of the bag and mounted it on my vehicle, therefore I wasn't specific regarding which side these two pieces belong on.

Part: EB5Z-7851728-BA (Moulding - Roof Drip Rail Fini) - MSRP $205.45 according to www.fordparts.com
Location: This piece is located in the roof gutter on both the driver and passenger side of the vehicle. This part fits between the rear end of parts DB5Z-7851728-AA and DB5Z-7851729-AA and runs the remaining length of the roof gutter toward the back of the vehicle ending near the D Pillar.

*** NOTE: Regarding EB5Z-7851728-BA, you will need two of these parts (one for the driver side and one for the passenger side). I have not physically ordered this part yet, therefore I don't exactly know what it looks like, however this is what the Ford dealer is telling me the part is and it matches the Police Interceptor Utility exploded parts diagram they have in their computer system.

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR SLICK TOP CONVERSIONS!

Here are some pictures of the parts I just previously described....

20140821_180418_zpstx5jyan8.jpg

Image Above: DB5Z-7850002-A and DB5Z-7850002-B still in it's bag.

20140821_180613_zpsxvfefcx4.jpg

Image Above: DB5Z-7850002-A and DB5Z-7850002-B size comparison.

20140821_181335_zpsjhdbhqvw.jpg

Image Above: DB5Z-7850002-A and DB5Z-7850002B-B size comparison against it's cousin pieces (for roof rack version).

20140821_181729_zpsmzshng5e.jpg

Image Above: DB5Z-7850002-A and DB5Z-7850002B-B installed into DB5Z-7851728-AA and DB5Z-7851729-AA.

20140821_181757_zps7cxahdrb.jpg

Image Above: Different view of DB5Z-7851728-AA and DB5Z-7851729-AA.

...all the parts needed to make a roof rack Explorer (or roof racked Police Interceptor Utility) into a slick top...

Thanks for the parts list!!! I will try to place an order at my local Ford dealer this week.

One question though. Do I really need DB5Z-7850002 (the shorter retainer) or do the rail version of this retainer fit underneath the new drip moulding? From your pictures it looks like it might fit. If you haven't mounted them yet, can you please try and see if they do?! Thanks!

Thanks for the parts list!!! I will try to place an order at my local Ford dealer this week.

One question though. Do I really need DB5Z-7850002 (the shorter retainer) or do the rail version of this retainer fit underneath the new drip moulding? From your pictures it looks like it might fit. If you haven't mounted them yet, can you please try and see if they do?! Thanks!

The rail version of the retainers does fit (sort of) under the roof moulding, however it will bulge and warp the less roof rack version moulding in several places if you do it. I had to learn this the hard way. I've got permanent unsightly bulges and warps in my less roof rack version mouldings even when using the correct shorter retainers. I'm going to be ordering my second set of the roof drip moulding less roof rack police version soon. Also FYI... I've used www.tascaparts.com for all my recent parts orders as they far out beat my local Ford dealer's prices. Plus Tasca ships USPS Priority Mail which saves on shipping buy still get the delivery at a decent speed.

The rail version of the retainers does fit (sort of) under the roof moulding, however it will bulge and warp the less roof rack version moulding in several places if you do it. I had to learn this the hard way. I've got permanent unsightly bulges and warps in my less roof rack version mouldings even when using the correct shorter retainers. I'm going to be ordering my second set of the roof drip moulding less roof rack police version soon. Also FYI... I've used www.tascaparts.com for all my recent parts orders as they far out beat my local Ford dealer's prices. Plus Tasca ships USPS Priority Mail which saves on shipping buy still get the delivery at a decent speed.

Then I'll add the proper retainers to my order. Better safe than sorry :)
I live on the wrong side of the border, so I'll get Canadian tax and brokers fees on everything I buy from the US. The plan is to get a quote from my local Ford dealer this week and compare it with the discounted prices from Tasca.

Wonder if I could swing Ford to replace these since Im starting to get rust on the bare spots around my bolts on my 2013.. Since they didnt include these on the first run Utilities

So if I'm adding this up correctly, this would be an approximately $400 upgrade? (from tascaparts.com)

Parts:
DB5Z-7851728-AA (Roof Drip Moulding Police Version- RH) - $40
DB5Z-7851729-AA (Roof Drip Moulding Police Version- LH) - $41
DB5Z-785002-A (Retainer - Roof Trim) - $4
DB5Z-785002-B (Retainer - Roof Trim) - $18
EB5Z-7851728-BA (Moulding - Roof Drip Rail Fini) - $136 (x2)

TOTAL: $375 + tax/s&h ($30 to southern California)

Hopefully I can make that back by selling the roof rails, for a no cost upgrade ;). Has anyone actually ordered all these parts and installed to verify they are correct, and that nothing else is needed?

Here are some pictures of the parts I just previously described....

20140821_180418_zpstx5jyan8.jpg

Image Above: DB5Z-7850002-A and DB5Z-7850002-B still in it's bag.

20140821_180613_zpsxvfefcx4.jpg

Image Above: DB5Z-7850002-A and DB5Z-7850002-B size comparison.

20140821_181335_zpsjhdbhqvw.jpg

Image Above: DB5Z-7850002-A and DB5Z-7850002B-B size comparison against it's cousin pieces (for roof rack version).

20140821_181729_zpsmzshng5e.jpg

Image Above: DB5Z-7850002-A and DB5Z-7850002B-B installed into DB5Z-7851728-AA and DB5Z-7851729-AA.

20140821_181757_zps7cxahdrb.jpg

Image Above: Different view of DB5Z-7851728-AA and DB5Z-7851729-AA.

I can't locate these parts online. Who did you order yours from?

----Nevermind just found them

Anyone interested in selling there roof rails let me know please!

@bill_5r How are the "faux" rails holding up?

I just picked up a '15 magnetic Explorer sport and the first thing I did was to remove the roof rack. If anyone is looking for some trim to fill in the channels I found some at Pep Boys that fits pretty good.

This is how I did it:

1) Remove roof rack

2) Using 6MM x 15-20mm long stainless steel set screws (need 12) plug bolt holes in roof. Install set screws a couple turns below flush.

3) Using the silicone sealer of your choice, I used Permatex black silicone adhesive sealant Part Number: 81158, fill in the area on top of each set screw so it is flush, make sure you cover the entire hole so you don't have any leaks. Allow 24 hours to dry.

4) Clean channels with Isopropyl alcohol and allow a few minutes to dry.

5) Install Cowles Products Style Guard Body Side Molding Part #S3311651 SKU: 8536701. I bought it at Pep Boys for $20, this part number is for the 16 foot long kit and I had less than a foot left over. They make a 14 foot kit also but it won't be long enough. I angled and beveled the front edge so it fit under the rubber seal on the windshield and also had to put a 1 inch or so long notch in to clear the tab this sticks up in the channel.

Pics aren't the best but you get the idea. The trim I used was matte black but they also make gloss black. Looks a lot better than an empty channel.

They have been on for almost 5,000 miles now with no issues. The molding has the good 3M adhesive and as long as you wipe the channel out with Isopropyl alcohol or something similar you won't have any problems.

I love the way it looks without the roof rack so for me it was $25 well spent.

Thanks Bill.

Did you stick the 3M adhesive to the rubber that was in the gutter, or did you remove that rubber first? The body paint was coated over that on mine.

p.s. do you see any way of making this a reversible mod? I'd like to be able to switch between the raised rail and this flat rail. Maybe I'm dreaming, but I'm trying to come up with two interchangeable setups- one for winter and another for summer (including wheels & tires, rails, mats, etc).

Mine was painted over also, I just cleaned it good and put it on over it.

I don't think this is the way to go if you want to switch back and forth, it will eventually end up pulling all of the paint off the bottom of the channel. I think your best bet is to go with the Ford trim pieces, maybe look for a wrecked police Explorer at a salvage yard.

Yea, I'd like to find the OEM flat rails at a decent cost... no way I'm paying $400! Cant seem to find a "salvage yard" around me tho.

What I was thinking in order to make the Pep Boys ones interchangeable was to not tape them down, but drill through and bolt them down. Do you think this would be viable?
[MENTION=252674]comper[/MENTION] - I see you did the same thing as Bill - any input?

Bolting it down would not work so good.

This place has the entire roof from a police Explorer for $300, you might be able to talk them into selling the trim pieces.

http://www.nordstromsauto.com/

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yea, I'd like to find the OEM flat rails at a decent cost... no way I'm paying $400! Cant seem to find a "salvage yard" around me tho. What I was thinking in order to make the Pep Boys ones interhangeable was to not tape them down, but drill through and bolt them down. Do you think this would be viable? [MENTION=252674]comper[/MENTION] - I see you did the same thing as Bill - any input?

I ordered the Ford OEM gutter rails and received a $400 trim moulding, similar to the aftermarket I'm still using and bought for less than $50! The piece from Ford was back ordered 6 weeks, so you can imagine my disappointment when I finally received it by mail. I returned it.
It looked exactly the same as the gutter rail from pictures in previous pages. I just assumed that it was a plastic trim piece like the front part, not an overpriced trim moulding.

From what I've learned, there's no easy reversible solution to a complete slick top.

Back