02 Tranny swap from 04 parts vehicle. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Tranny swap from 04 parts vehicle.

Joscibo

Reaction score
City, State
Central Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer
Looking for any tips on this swap? I have the tranny almost ready to pull the Trans out of the parts vehicle and I am concerned with the exhaust manifold bolts on the good rig. I tried to get the manifold bolts off the header pipe with an impact that didn't even budge. I have the good rig soaking with penetration oil for a few weeks now hoping they will break free. Any ideas for pulling it off a little easier would be great.

Try to heat the bolts up to where they are cherry red and use the impact. I had two that broke on me and I was lucky that the stud threaded out. My local parts store did not have studs that would fit so I had to purchase them from the Ford Dealer. They were not too expensive.

Good luck

Kroil is a great penetrating oil, try that. I would be hesitant to swap a used 5R55 transmission that I was not sure to be in incredible shape, though. They are way too problematic and too much of a pain to swap for the risk of a used one dying any time soon.

Kroil is a great penetrating oil, try that. I would be hesitant to swap a used 5R55 transmission that I was not sure to be in incredible shape, though. They are way too problematic and too much of a pain to swap for the risk of a used one dying any time soon.

I plan on using some heat to get the stubborn bolts out. I have a good tranny to swap out and my plan is to swap and sell this rig. I bought this rig to flip because I had a good parts vehicle that had a fatal timing chain ordeal. I agree it's plenty of work I already have the tranny out of the parts vehicle with the transfer case as well. The tranny is good and it's worth rolling the dice for saving a few thousand dollars on a rebuild. If I was going to keep it I would definitely spend the money on it. I have the intake off and plan on fixing the valve cover gasket leak at the same time.

Back