Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
VanBC/GoodyearAZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer ST
Callsign
PRINCE51
Last week I was at Chicago Assembly and then up the street to Troy Design and Manufacturing (TDM) a Ford owned subsidiary that does all the upfitting for the Interceptor Program equipment. They allowed me to take photos so I thought I would show some highlights of the upfit process. The Plant Manager gave me permission to share the photo's.

Vehicles are driven up the street from CAP and delivered to TDM by the CAP drivers.

(lost photos)

Then they go to each station to get interior stripped and whatever equipment installed. "A" Pillar spot lamp pre drilling procedure. Drilling in Boron steel. They get 15-20 installs out of one drill bit then they send it for sharpening or junk it. Each bit is $200+

The Utility's come from CAP with the "A" pillar black applique not installed so they dont have the hassle of stripping it off and breaking more clips given how sensitive that applique is.

If ordered the Utilities get the OEM skid plate that still allows for cooling but protects the undercarraige.

This shows the extra bracing that's engineered for the 75MPH rear crash rating that the competitors like to say is "Just Marketing BS." The wiring harnesses get attached to these anchor points.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks awesome, thanks for sharing.

This is the station that installs the emergency lights in the rear hatch and tail lamps

(lost photos)

This station removes the front clip, installs siren speaker, grill lights, and skid plate.

The BLS ballistic panels get inserted in the front doors after everything is stripped out.

All Interceptors get a keylock entry in the back liftgate, kinda old school but lots of agencys want this so they all get it. Major bracket reinforcements.

So very Cool. Thanks for Sharing. Even as a DD I can see some of the MODS could come in handy. I like the fabric door hinge and the skid plate.

Very cool. I've been buried in the upfitter's guide for a week now, since I'm doing some mods to mine for work. Some people balk at the Ready for The Road package, but as long as you read and call Michigan once in a while, it makes installing gear on these a little easier for smaller shops and individuals.

That said, it irks me to no end where Whelen is mounting these speakers, and not provisioning for a second pigtail. I've ran code twice in mine and people cannot head the siren unless you are almost about to hit them.

Thanks for sharing...

Yes thanks for sharing and that is great.

And I agree the siren speaker location sucks. Sound doesn't get out. I know they don't want it behind the grill from the factory because that restricts airflow to the radiator but lets get realistic!!

Do the Explorers that come in already have the beefed up suspension already installed?

I also have to admit I had no idea they take the vehicles back apart to put that stuff on. Especially the front bumper cover. I always tend to break a tab or two on the retainer clips. :(

Do the Explorers that come in already have the beefed up suspension already installed?

Yes the Interceptors essentially have the SPORT suspension set up. Only difference is the AWD, EPAS, and engine programming is much more aggressive.

And I agree the siren speaker location sucks. Sound doesn't get out. I know they don't want it behind the grill from the factory because that restricts airflow to the radiator but lets get realistic!!

Your right and I argued this with the engineers for a long time. Most agencies are now putting dual 100watt speakers out front on the pushbar. Ford Legal Dept wont let TDM install pushbars because of potential liability.

Your right and I argued this with the engineers for a long time. Most agencies are now putting dual 100watt speakers out front on the pushbar. Ford Legal Dept wont let TDM install pushbars because of potential liability.

I would think the legal dept would realize sticking a siren speaker behind something with no direct sound outlet is a liability. Id love to have a chance to sit down and give some input wow. lol

If ordered the Utilities get the OEM skid plate that still allows for cooling but protects the undercarraige.

There's a skid plate on the civilian version? So new, I hadn't even looked. Good to know, though.

This shows the extra bracing that's engineered for the 75MPH rear crash rating that the competitors like to say is "Just Marketing BS." The wiring harnesses get attached to these anchor points.

That explains what those center studs are for on the cross brace.

Would have been even cooler to see the whole third-row delete components going in for those of us contemplating removal of everything back there!

Very cool pictures:thumbsup:

Whelen makes a siren speaker bracket just for the Explorer that puts the speaker more center of the vehicle behind the openings below the bumper. Not sure why they dont use it, instead of where they put it behind the closed portion of the fascia. I always removed them and put them on the push bumper.

http://www.whelen.com/_INSTALL/x_install.php?model=SAK51

What liability would there be? Would agencies sue Ford if the pushbars fell off or something?

Whelen makes a siren speaker bracket just for the Explorer that puts the speaker more center of the vehicle behind the openings below the bumper. Not sure why they dont use it, instead of where they put it behind the closed portion of the fascia. I always removed them and put them on the push bumper.

I am aware whelen makes mounts for better locations but ford advises against it because a restricted air flow. I agree the factory should use those but I am sure ford is worried about "reduced" air flow. I sense the legal dept chimed in with the liability word lol.

Glad I'm not the only one who agrees on the speaker. When I get the gumption to pull everything back off, I'm adding a second speaker to my Utility for sure.

I've also wondered, why Ford went with a neutered and proprietary-software-controlled version of Whelen's Cencom siren, then decided it was a bad idea half-way through the 2013 model production

There's a skid plate on the civilian version? So new, I hadn't even looked. Good to know, though.

That explains what those center studs are for on the cross brace.

Would have been even cooler to see the whole third-row delete components going in for those of us contemplating removal of everything back there!

Very cool pictures:thumbsup:

No skid plate for civilian Ex, its a Police component only. Not to say you cant order it and install yourself.

I would think the legal dept would realize sticking a siren speaker behind something with no direct sound outlet is a liability. Id love to have a chance to sit down and give some input wow. lol

Yes I agree, they say that it meets California Title 13 Siren Requirements for sound DB reading at the specific Title 13 distances out front of the vehicle so they wont change.

My suggestion was the Cali Title 13 requirements are somewhat dated, they dont take into account new vehicle acoustic design and how vehicles block out so much more sound now so you need better siren penetration into the new vehicles.

Thats why my department has installed the Federal Signal Rumbler sirens on top of the dual 100w siren drivers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could have 10 sirens, and people will still hit police cars. Hell, they run into fire trucks all the time, and say "I didnt see it".

Back