Terrain Management / AdvanceTrac System Errors | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Terrain Management / AdvanceTrac System Errors

Thanks Crystal, allow me to rephrase.

Given the similarities to my symptoms and the recalled vehicles, who can I contact to discuss my vehicle in relationship to the ETB customer satisfaction program?

Hi PEXOB2,

Your dealership's service manager will still be your best point of contact regarding your vehicle and whether or not a specific service action applies to it. If you'd prefer to speak to someone at our Customer Relationship Center, they can be reached at 1-800-392-3673.

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi All,

I've had my Explorer since April and I just got the Terrain Management System Fault message. I'm not able to have it look at until Monday according to the dealership. I'm really hoping it's as easy as getting the software update like my fellow Iowan.

Welcome to the Forum red1420.:wavey:

Peter

Hi All,

I've had my Explorer since April and I just got the Terrain Management System Fault message. I'm not able to have it look at until Monday according to the dealership. I'm really hoping it's as easy as getting the software update like my fellow Iowan.

Hi red1420,

Welcome to the site! I'm Crystal, the Ford Service rep on this forum. Be sure to come back and post how things went at the dealership. How many miles are on your Explorer?

Crystal

Hi red1420,

Welcome to the site! I'm Crystal, the Ford Service rep on this forum. Be sure to come back and post how things went at the dealership. How many miles are on your Explorer?

Crystal

Hi Crystal! My Explorer is just shy of 44k miles. This morning, I did not get the fault, but I will post what the dealership says after I take it in on Monday.

Hi Crystal! My Explorer is just shy of 44k miles. This morning, I did not get the fault, but I will post what the dealership says after I take it in on Monday.

Thanks for offering to keep us in the loop, red1420! Once you've been to the dealer, I'll be able to check out ways to assist, if needed. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Hi All,

The Lynch Ford dealership in Mt. Vernon is quite familiar with this issue and easy to deal with...

The Lynch Ford dealership in Mt. Vernon is quite familiar with this issue and easy to deal with...

I am taking it to Zimmerman since that is where I bought it, but if they cannot provide a fix, I will take it to Lynch. It's nice knowing there is someone in the area who has experienced the same thing.

I had the software update done over a month ago and haven't received another fault message. All seems to be well.

Add my 2013 EX Limited AWD, with 41,x.. miles to the club. This morning I got the Terrain Management System Fault message, Service AdvanceTrac, dark TMS dial, and two amber warning lights in the lower right part of the instrument panel. 4wd still seemed to work. After two restarts it cleared. I hope this is a simple software fix.

Add my 2013 EX Limited AWD, with 41,x.. miles to the club. This morning I got the Terrain Management System Fault message, Service AdvanceTrac, dark TMS dial, and two amber warning lights in the lower right part of the instrument panel. 4wd still seemed to work. After two restarts it cleared. I hope this is a simple software fix.

It sounds like there's a trip to the dealership in your future, dudefish. Are you planning on heading in soon?

Crystal

Crystal, I may pop in on the way back from lunch.

Terrain Management Error

This thread is certainly interesting but I'm still confused on the cause here. Mine had this error yesterday as soon as I picked my car up from the dealer after they installed a driveshaft. I originally took it in because hen battery keeps going dead. Of course they never found that problem but did find the vibration which ended up being a driveshaft. So....1 week later I have an Explorer that will likely still have battery issues and now this great error that somehow started at the dealer. I have had this vehicle for 40,000 miles and have never seen that error before.

If anyone has any solid answers I would be interested in hearing them.

Welcome to the Forum Bcarr.:wavey:
From your profile I see you have a 2023 Explorer. That is really a jump into the future!:D
It would be helpful if you added the model to your profile. I'm going out on a limb and say you likely have a 2013 Explorer (Base, XLT, Limited or Sport).
I've had several cases with a low battery indication but that is because I don't drive enough. My MKT is on the charger now. I'm not sure if a driveshaft change would cause a TMS fault. Yours is the first post to mention that.

Peter

I actually had this fault this morning right after a sluggish start. I think it may be related to a low battery. I had a similar issue when the original battery failed back in 2011. It is likely due for a new battery. I shut it down and restarted at the first stop light and every thing was clear. The message also stated the collision warning was not active.

TMS Error Update

For this to make any sense you will probably need to read my
previous post.

It has been about 7k-8k miles since the ETB was replaced on my 2012 Explorer. I have not had one TMS fault condition since that time. I am not a mechanic so take it for what it's worth but I am confident that MY Ex TMS faults were related to the ETB. A gradual decline causing intermittent TMS faults and ultimately resulting in a more significant failure of the ETB.

Could other issues cause intermittent TMS fault lights? Sure, but as you know from reading my previous post, there is an extended warranty of this ETB which inexplicably excludes the same part installed in Explorers. IMO, if you still have the original it is likely to fail. If you are getting intermittent TMS fault lights and you are anywhere near 40k it is worth your while to have this checked out.

My Ex still carried a warranty so I haven't been forced to have the drag out with my service manager as suggested by the Ford Rep. Although the warranty requires the part fail first AND it does not explicitly cover Explorers, you MIGHT have some luck convincing your service manager to take a preemptive strike possibly preventing a "limp home" event or worse.

This forum is for Ford Explorer owners/enthusiasts to share ideas and experiences about there vehicles. We can talk about anything but given the hectic pace of life most of us find casual conversation about our Explorers pretty low on the priority list. As a result a lot of what you read about are the problems we have with our vehicles as we attempt to find resolution. So I thought I would take a moment to mention that I love my Explorer. It is comfortable, reliable (ETB excluded) and drives well. I find the finish and amenities to be above par in it's class and right now I wouldn't trade my set of problems for another. I hope you are are enjoying yours as well.

PEXOB2

So I took my vehicle back to the dealer ( third trip) and they found a TSB 12-08-09, which reprogrammed the ABS Module. I will re-post if the fault shows up again.

Thank you Crystal for your assistance.

Well I am back again to report that the Terrain Management System Fault has reappeared twice within the last two weeks. I am going back to dealership to see what they say. Crystal I will let you know what I find out.

:(:(

Service AdvancTrac and Terrain Management System Fault

While backing out of the driveway during the blizzard yesterday my back tire got stuck in the snow and after neighbors came out and pushed while I accelorated I was able to get out. After all this service AdvancTrac and terrain management system fault lights both came on!!! Is it safe to drive my explorer this way?? I just want to get it to the dealership!?!?

It should clear when you turn the truck off, and restart.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have been getting this issue since I bought the truck 3 months ago. I have had a new battery AND a brand new power steering rack installed in the last month and I still can't use the 4-wheel drive because of this issue. This past blizzard the weekend I didn't have use of the system. I can't take it anymore i'm ready to trade the truck in.

Turning the car off/on is not the fix for the issue because mine stays on for days at a time. the new battery fixed the issue for about 3 hours.

It's the worst truck I've ever owned.

Back