Remote start smart phone app ? | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remote start smart phone app ?

All my info is that we will not be left behind we just may not have the full functionality of the next gen QNX version. When the top guys at Ford recognized that MFT was released too early they gave strong indications they would make it right to customers.

I seriously thought we were going to see one more update before that change though.

So based on your info do you think we will see QNX in 2015 or will it roll out with the 2016?

I have always thought it would be ideal if a system such as MFT was developed in a manner that made it just an extension of what ever device the owner used be it IOS, Android, Windows, etc. MFT would simply be an extension of that device for functions such as Nav. The basics are there since as an example you can control music play from an iPhone or iPod. IMHO that would be great. I use TomTom for nav on my iPhone and love it if I could use it and display the map on the MFT screen. Others may like Google maps, etc.

Just thought I would throw that out there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So based on your info do you think we will see QNX in 2015 or will it roll out with the 2016?

I have always thought it would be ideal if a system such as MFT was developed in a manner that made it just an extension of what ever device the owner used be it IOS, Android, Windows, etc. MFT would simply be an extension of that device for functions such as Nav. The basics are there since as an example you can control music play from an iPhone or iPod. IMHO that would be great. I use TomTom for nav on my iPhone and love it if I could use it and display the map on the MFT screen. Others may like Google maps, etc.

Just thought I would throw that out there.

Well they start pre production builds of the 16MY Ex in the next few months so I would suggest the next gen MFT would be coming with those but that's pure speculation on my part. My info was the 16MY update would be shown to the public this November at the LA Auto Show. But before that current MFT owners would get another update.

So I purchased the "Amazon kit" -
http://www.amazon.com/2011-2013-For...ote access&tag=viglink20460-20#productDetails

It came in the mail today. I feel like I am missing pieces.

It comes with what is labeled as the VSS Control Module, what looks like an antenna of some sort (long skinny device with one square grey plug", 2 key fobs (I dont have to use these things right?) and another item specifically labeled as the antenna receiver, along with 2 cable harness and 1 cable for the actual labelled antenna. The only instructions that came are labelled "Remote start system".

No shock sensor (unless that is what the long skinny thing is - but its just a circuit board?) and nothing else. Did I get the right stuff?

*added photo of what I received*
remote.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/2011-2013-For...ote access&tag=viglink20460-20#productDetails

It comes with what is labeled as the VSS Control Module, what looks like an antenna of some sort (long skinny device with one square grey plug", 2 key fobs (I dont have to use these things right?) and another item specifically labeled as the antenna receiver, along with 2 cable harness and 1 cable for the actual labelled antenna. The only instructions that came are labelled "Remote start system".

No shock sensor (unless that is what the long skinny thing is - but its just a circuit board?) and nothing else. Did I get the right stuff?

remote.jpg

That looks like a kit someone put together for the remote start. From your picture it looks like you got the VSS, the extended antenna which from what I have been told you only need if you have the 2 way remote fobs. It also looks like you may have a hood switch kit as well.

On my VSS the shock sensor is in the VSS and there is a sensitivity knob on the side. What I do not see is the "Y" cable which ties into the ODBII connector.

I wonder if you might have one of the older kits.

Peter.....
There are two sets of instructions actually. The sticky is for the original one which required running cables to the rear of the center console and disassembly.

Benny, in post 197 posted the part numbers for the new modules and if you click on them there is a link to installation of the new modules with the ODBII "Y" cabling. Much easier to install and do not have to disassemble the console. Maybe we could sticky those instructions as well??

That looks like a kit someone put together for the remote start. From your picture it looks like you got the VSS, the extended antenna which from what I have been told you only need if you have the 2 way remote fobs. It also looks like you may have a hood switch kit as well.

On my VSS the shock sensor is in the VSS and there is a sensitivity knob on the side. What I do not see is the "Y" cable which ties into the ODBII connector.

I wonder if you might have one of the older kits.

Peter.....
There are two sets of instructions actually. The sticky is for the original one which required running cables to the rear of the center console and disassembly.

Benny, in post 197 posted the part numbers for the new modules and if you click on them there is a link to installation of the new modules with the ODBII "Y" cabling. Much easier to install and do not have to disassemble the console. Maybe we could sticky those instructions as well??

Thanks. I have mailed the seller to see what the deal is. On this VSS, there is no gain knob. Nothing has a sim card or access to a card (opened everything up completely). Pretty sure this is the incorrect kit. The part # referenced on the amazon link I purchased from matches that which was listed as the "complete kit" on previous posts.

I'll update when I hear from the seller.

Thanks everyone.

I have the iphone kit and they sent the wrong thing. TOTALLY WRONG!!!!

Thanks. I have mailed the seller to see what the deal is. On this VSS, there is no gain knob. Nothing has a sim card or access to a card (opened everything up completely). Pretty sure this is the incorrect kit. The part # referenced on the amazon link I purchased from matches that which was listed as the "complete kit" on previous posts.

I'll update when I hear from the seller.

Thanks everyone.

Look at post #197 in this thread. Benny posted 2 links to the parts needed to be installed for the smart phone app remote start. one of the links also has the install instructions for those modules.

Best of luck.

Look at post #197 in this thread. Benny posted 2 links to the parts needed to be installed for the smart phone app remote start. one of the links also has the install instructions for those modules.

Best of luck.

Thanks. I am curious, has anyone else purchased the kit from the Banner Automotive folks via Amazon? Hoping to receive a response from them later today but all indications are they just sent me the wrong stuff... Nothing related to remote app access was included so far as I can tell.

Thanks. I am curious, has anyone else purchased the kit from the Banner Automotive folks via Amazon?

I did, and I received the correct kit. They probably just made a mistake with yours. Their phone number is listed on their Amazon profile page.

remote.jpg

It looks like you received the old kits that are no longer supported and extra fobs too? The kits we sell are the latest available and plug into the OBD port, No antennas are need with an RMU installation.

-Benny

It looks like you received the old kits that are no longer supported and extra fobs too?

That's not even the old kit. It looks like that's some kind of kit for adding a full remote start system to a vehicle that doesn't already have it at all.

That's not even the old kit. It looks like that's some kind of kit for adding a full remote start system to a vehicle that doesn't already have it at all.

Yeah perhaps a 1-way extended range kit. If you are looking to add the cellular remote access to your Ex I would return those and purchase these 2 items:

http://www.levittownfordsupercenter...mote-start-system-cellular-access-p-2270.html

http://www.levittownfordsupercenter.com/ford-explorer-vehicle-security-system-p-1881.html

Installs in approx 20 minutes and I will activate it over the phone for you:thumbsup:

-Benny

Thanks Benny, I will probably do just that but I want to wait until I get confirmation from Amazon/vendor that they will do a complete refund. I haven't received a response yet.

Yeah perhaps a 1-way extended range kit. If you are looking to add the cellular remote access to your Ex I would return those and purchase these 2 items:

http://www.levittownfordsupercenter...mote-start-system-cellular-access-p-2270.html

http://www.levittownfordsupercenter.com/ford-explorer-vehicle-security-system-p-1881.html

Installs in approx 20 minutes and I will activate it over the phone for you:thumbsup:

-Benny

Installed my Cellular Remote Access today.

I ordered the two parts from Benny at Levit Town Super Center before my Explorer even arrived.

The dealer turned on Remote start in the software for me for free because I waited for delivery from Last Thursday to this Tuesday because they were swamped with the Labor Day Sale Prep. (Just as a note, I ordered my new Explorer through a leasing company my Franchise home office has set-up for us. So the local dealer was doing a courtesy delivery)

So this morning I began the task of installing it.

First, There is a plastic panel under the dash and it is easier to work if it is removed. 3 hex head screws and slide one end off a plastic keeper above the emergency brake.

There are two hex head screws that hold the ODBII connector under the dash. Pull them and the connector is free. Plug the connector to the 'Y" cable in the VSS kit and tie wrap as shown in the instructions. Plug the small connector into the VSS and it is connected.

Here is where I varied from the instructions.

The instructions say to secure the VSS to the wiring loom under the dash, program it to the cars system via the key off/on sequence and then test and adjust the shock sensor. The issue is the instructions do not make the assumption you are also installing the RMU (Cellular Modem). So I programmed the VSS with the key sequence before I secured it or tested the shock sensors. Once it was programmed I plugged in the RMU and tie wrapped the two cables together. (Note! Once you plugin the RMU you can verify power by looking at the cable end you will see a red led lit.)

Now I secured the VSS as directed in the instructions (This to me is the most time consuming making sure it is secured snug) make sure you orient it so you can reach the adjustment knob for the sensitivity. At this point I set the sensitivity per the instructions. Lastly I secured the RMU and the cable as directed.

I sent Benny a PM letting him know I was ready for activation and provided the information listed in the instructions.

I went back outside secured the new ODBII connector and reinstalled the plastic shield under the dash. I had just walked in the house to grab a coke and Benny called. It took maybe 7-10 minutes and it was done including Benny testing all functions from his office. (Must say it is very cool to stand in your driveway in Northern Calif and have your car locked, unlocked, remote started, etc. by a guy on the east coast.

Once done Benny provided the 4 digit PIN both verbally and via text. I already had the iPhone app on my phone so logged in and inserted it and I was controlling my car from my iPhone.

All said I spent less than an hour including setup and cleanup. As I said the securing the two boxes in the right position took the most time.

I love the app and have it on both my iPhone and my wifes.

Thanks a bunch to Benny for answering questions before the purchase and being so responsive on the activation request. My sincere recommendation for you guys considering the install is to contact Benny.

I hope this helps someone.

Happy Exploring all.......

Thanks Benny, I will probably do just that but I want to wait until I get confirmation from Amazon/vendor that they will do a complete refund. I haven't received a response yet.

Yes of course I completely understand

Installed my Cellular Remote Access today.

I ordered the two parts from Benny at Levit Town Super Center before my Explorer even arrived.

The dealer turned on Remote start in the software for me for free because I waited for delivery from Last Thursday to this Tuesday because they were swamped with the Labor Day Sale Prep. (Just as a note, I ordered my new Explorer through a leasing company my Franchise home office has set-up for us. So the local dealer was doing a courtesy delivery)

So this morning I began the task of installing it.

First, There is a plastic panel under the dash and it is easier to work if it is removed. 3 hex head screws and slide one end off a plastic keeper above the emergency brake.

There are two hex head screws that hold the ODBII connector under the dash. Pull them and the connector is free. Plug the connector to the 'Y" cable in the VSS kit and tie wrap as shown in the instructions. Plug the small connector into the VSS and it is connected.

Here is where I varied from the instructions.

The instructions say to secure the VSS to the wiring loom under the dash, program it to the cars system via the key off/on sequence and then test and adjust the shock sensor. The issue is the instructions do not make the assumption you are also installing the RMU (Cellular Modem). So I programmed the VSS with the key sequence before I secured it or tested the shock sensors. Once it was programmed I plugged in the RMU and tie wrapped the two cables together. (Note! Once you plugin the RMU you can verify power by looking at the cable end you will see a red led lit.)

Now I secured the VSS as directed in the instructions (This to me is the most time consuming making sure it is secured snug) make sure you orient it so you can reach the adjustment knob for the sensitivity. At this point I set the sensitivity per the instructions. Lastly I secured the RMU and the cable as directed.

I sent Benny a PM letting him know I was ready for activation and provided the information listed in the instructions.

I went back outside secured the new ODBII connector and reinstalled the plastic shield under the dash. I had just walked in the house to grab a coke and Benny called. It took maybe 7-10 minutes and it was done including Benny testing all functions from his office. (Must say it is very cool to stand in your driveway in Northern Calif and have your car locked, unlocked, remote started, etc. by a guy on the east coast.

Once done Benny provided the 4 digit PIN both verbally and via text. I already had the iPhone app on my phone so logged in and inserted it and I was controlling my car from my iPhone.

All said I spent less than an hour including setup and cleanup. As I said the securing the two boxes in the right position took the most time.

I love the app and have it on both my iPhone and my wifes.

Thanks a bunch to Benny for answering questions before the purchase and being so responsive on the activation request. My sincere recommendation for you guys considering the install is to contact Benny.

I hope this helps someone.

Happy Exploring all.......

Thank you very much Willy for the recommendation, Best of luck with the new truck and enjoy it!

-Benny

Thanks. I am curious, has anyone else purchased the kit from the Banner Automotive folks via Amazon? Hoping to receive a response from them later today but all indications are they just sent me the wrong stuff... Nothing related to remote app access was included so far as I can tell.

I bought from Banner with no issues. As others have said, that is not the correct kit. I have talked with Banner via phone a few times, instead of waiting for an email, pick up the phone and call them.

I bought from Banner with no issues. As others have said, that is not the correct kit. I have talked with Banner via phone a few times, instead of waiting for an email, pick up the phone and call them.

Just bought from you Benny - finally got a hold of someone over at QuirkParts... After being on hold for 10 minutes while they tried to figure out what happened and where the proper part was and hearing about how the guy "wished cars didn't have all these gizmos and do-dads" AND "How he hates the way Amazon makes them list their items" I was over it and told them to send me a RMA and I'll locate another option.

As an aside, while we were on the phone I realized the part # I was shipped was CL3Z***** instead of DL3Z* - so they simply shipped the wrong box. Why it took so long to get that figured out and communicated - beyond me.

Happily waiting for new pkg to arrive, hopefully with correct parts :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you for your order :)

Once you get everything installed shoot me a PM.

Please note I will be on vacation next week though and may not have access to perform the activation.

Thank you for your business,
Benny

Back