Led Cargo light bulb replacement Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Led Cargo light bulb replacement Questions

I just ordered a set of the led bulbs on ebay to replace my map, dome, puddle, and licensce plate lights. My question is what bulb do i use for the cargo light in the rear. I took it out and its not a 194. Its basically a cylinder with two u type hooks on each end. I thought it was a sestoon bulb but they dont have hooks on the end just basically metal ends. Does anyone know what led bulb i can get for this light?

Edit: Ok I guess I will also use this thread to show off the lights just in case anybody was curious as to what they looked like.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

image_zps125273c8.jpg

This is the bulb that is is in cargo area it looks similar but it has those u hooks instaed of the pointed ends. Do you think it will still work?

On another note I got the first pack of leds in the mail and i put them in the puddle lights, license plate and second row dome light. Im pretty impressed so far. Ill get some night shots tonight.

These are the lights so far on where i got them installed

Puddle light

image_zps65966f30.jpg

Licensce Plate lights (Blurry but you can still tell brightness)

image_zps623f6c9a.jpg

Dome light (Didnt get MAP or cargo lights installed, helps tell the difference)

image_zps1b0da607.jpg

With the Cargo light the only option is to make your own. I searched for a while and couldn't find anything remotely close.

Actually, I assume the one with pointed ends should work, so long as you find a way to make it stay in the slot. Probably a little glue or tape to hold it in.

Superbrightleds.com has that bulb. Alternatively a 48 LED panel with mounting tape can be stuck on the outside with improvised wiring connection. Extremely bright lighting option.

Here's what I did.
Soldered in a festoon and it works great.

dizC7col.jpg

Here's what I did.
Soldered in a festoon and it works great.

dizC7col.jpg

I may have found on that works. My Firebird has the same type of bulb in the overhead lamp as found in the cargo area, but the firebird bulb when I did a search on superbright's website, came up with a festoon that had hooks. The bulbs look like they're the same length so I ordered 2. I will tell you all how it fits when I get it later this week.

Here is the link to it:

Firebird dome light

edit:

If you look at the length, it's identical so it should work. I'll let you all know when I get it.

Hmm, looks like it should work.
Mine has held up great though, so no complaints. :)

Hmm, looks like it should work.
Mine has held up great though, so no complaints. :)

Yeah, mine burned out 2 days after I bought the truck. I wouldn't have worried about going LED except I have done the fronts in LED's and got curious as to finding out if there was one out there.

Got mine on CARID.com. Festoon style is correct, and mine was able to simply "plug in" between the two metal clip ends to stay put. Looks great. No need to do any wiring.

I like the soldered conversion DJ, because of first, the loop type I purchased did not fit well, not at all without reshaping the loops. And a second it has to be slapped to turn on, the connection is that bad. The solder looks good, I'm going to solder mine and see if it will stop flickering. If not I'll just stick on a 48LED panel I have on hand.

Solder is the best. :)

I just installed a LED interior light from an RV, I think it is 7 LED. It made a huge difference, plus it has a switch built in to it, so if I don't want it to come on I can turn it off

I just installed a LED interior light from an RV, I think it is 7 LED. It made a huge difference, plus it has a switch built in to it, so if I don't want it to come on I can turn it off

Any pics?

RV interior 10 LED (not seven). May not be pretty but works awesome
100_1657.jpg

dome light only, LED switched off
100_1663.jpg

dome light and LED on
100_1664.jpg

My camera doesn't really show how bright it actually is. I'm also trying to get a couple of the round recessed ones to mount in the hatch panel so that I can see into the tool box drawers better.

RV interior 10 LED (not seven). May not be pretty but works awesome
100_1657.jpg

dome light only, LED switched off
100_1663.jpg

dome light and LED on
100_1664.jpg

My camera doesn't really show how bright it actually is. I'm also trying to get a couple of the round recessed ones to mount in the hatch panel so that I can see into the tool box drawers better.

Where did you get that? That's awesome!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I work in a RV manufacturing plant, I ordered it from them. They should be easy to get at any RV dealership. This one is from a Jayco, the 2014 and newer use the LED interior lights. If you get a Jayco part the white wire is the ground, so if you hook up black to black it wont work, not sure if it is the same on other RV lights.

Back