Push button start can be turned off while driving!,, | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Push button start can be turned off while driving!,,

barney6

Reaction score
City, State
Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
Today I was driving my 2015 sport. I was listening to a podcast with my head phones, the radio in the car was on for the kids and then one of the kids started talking to me. Let's just say I had too much stimulation going on. I went to turn the radio off but pushed the push button start the car instead. Honestly i know it is totally crazy that I would accidentally push that button, but like I said, I had too much stimulation and I was just wanting some of the noise to stop!

Much to my surprise, the car turned off, while I was driving!!! Fortunately I was in a parking lot and not going 70 down the freeway when this happened.

This seems like a major safety issue to me. The car should have to be in park in order for it to turn off! You would think that button would never get pushed while driving, but I am hear to tell you that it can happen! If I was on the freeway that could have been deadly.

SO FYI TO EVERYONE WITH A PUSH BUTTON START..... IF IT GETS PUSHED WHILE DRIVING IT WILL TURN THE CAR OFF.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats interesting you would think the button would be disengaged when VSS signal detected vehicle was moving over 5mph kinda like auto door locks feature.

I havent driven a car with actual key ignition for a while can you pull the key out while vehicle over 5mph?

Insert your own GM Ignition recall joke here!

On the other hand, cars have had ignitions that can be turned off at any given time for how many decades? Now its no longer considered safe?

To me, having a car which doesn't allow you to turn off the ignition when you'd like to is more unsafe. What about a "stuck throttle" situation? Floor mat jammed up under the brake pedal..etc.?

The Push Button start is just like the keyed ignition except that you don't need a key. You can also turn off a keyed ignition while driving although it would require a more decisive movement.
In your case all you would have to do is shift to 'N' and push the start button again.

Peter

I think this falls under 2 headings. Distracted driving and driver error. I don't think the car manufacturer is to blame.

I agree with the distracted driving and driver error, but considering you have to have the car in park with the brake engaged to start it, you would think you would have to do the same to turn it off. I will have to try and see if it is possible to restart it with it in neutral. Otherwise regardless of what you all say this is a huge safety issue. If you can turn your car off while driving down the freeway and have no way to turn it back on unless it is stopped, in park and with your foot on the brake, then that IS a problem.

I agree with the distracted driving and driver error, but considering you have to have the car in park with the brake engaged to start it, you would think you would have to do the same to turn it off. I will have to try and see if it is possible to restart it with it in neutral. Otherwise regardless of what you all say this is a huge safety issue. If you can turn your car off while driving down the freeway and have no way to turn it back on unless it is stopped, in park and with your foot on the brake, then that IS a problem.

But it's not a safety issue on all the millions of vehicles with actual keys that can also be turned off while driving? It's been this way since the beginning of automobiles themselves. And how does one accidentally push the start button while driving? It's around the steering wheel and no where near the radio.

And yes, it will restart while at speed if you put it in neutral.

...all I know is that if the doors lock at 12mph then why will
-they fricking unlock while moving?
-tailgate open or close while moving?
-mirrors fold/unfold while moving?
-3rd row buttons will activate 3rd row seats if pressed
regardless of contents or position while car is moving?

What did you think was going to happen?

How did you think you would shut off the engine if you needed to?

I am in the camp of being glad to hear this. Even if you were doing 70 on the highway, the car would not come to an immediate stop. Going to test the MKT out and see if it works the same way.

From the owners manual!

Stopping the Engine When Your Vehicle is Moving
WARNING: Switching off the engine when the vehicle is still
moving will result in a loss of brake and steering assistance.
The steering will not lock, but higher effort will be required. When the
ignition is switched off, some electrical circuits, warning lamps and
indicators may also be off.
1. If your vehicle has an ignition key, move the transmission
selector lever to position N and use the brakes to bring your vehicle
to a safe stop. When your vehicle has stopped, move the transmission
selector lever to position P and turn the key to the off position.
2. If your vehicle has a keyless start system, move the transmission
selector lever to position N and use the brakes to bring your vehicle
to a safe stop. When your vehicle has stopped, move the transmission
selector lever to position P and switch the ignition off by pressing
and holding the button for one second, or pressing it three times
within two seconds.
3. Apply the parking brake.

...all I know is that if the doors lock at 12mph then why will
-they fricking unlock while moving?
-tailgate open or close while moving?
-mirrors fold/unfold while moving?
-3rd row buttons will activate 3rd row seats if pressed
regardless of contents or position while car is moving?
From the Owner's Guide;

- The power fold seats work only when the transmission selector lever
is in position P and the liftgate is open

- The liftgate will only operate with the transmission in P.

Peter

Doesn't the push button start force you to hold the button to turn the car off? I'd doubt Ford would allow the push button to turn off the car with one push while the car was moving. Did you accidentally hold the button?

From the Owner's Guide;

- The power fold seats work only when the transmission selector lever
is in position P and the liftgate is open

- The liftgate will only operate with the transmission in P.

Peter

Peter,

What if the liftgate is open while the vehicle is in P, lets say you forgot about the liftgate is open, can you switch from P to D?

BM

Peter,

What if the liftgate is open while the vehicle is in P, lets say you forgot about the liftgate is open, can you switch from P to D?

BM

You probably could but the warning would be on your screen that it was open. You can drive with the door open so what is the difference?

BobbyMarks, yes, you can go from Park to Drive. There is nothing to prevent you driving with the liftgate open. In fact I did it once unintentionally.
I dropped my dogs off at the vet and came out, pushed the 'Close' button on the liftgate and got in and started the Ex. I started driving down the street when I noticed the gate was wide open. When it began to close initially, it reversed before it was fully closed when I started the vehicle

Peter

The vehicle makes a chiming noise when you drive with the lift gate open. Same as if you leave a door open.

Never heard any alarm.

Peter

As far as I can recall, for several years at least, there is an interlock between the key and the gearshift lever that prevents the key from being turned wile the car is in "drive"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Off Topic>>> Push button start can be turned off while driving!

Back