Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise | Page 62 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise

Thanks,I will check out "cowl" and call dealer.

I am new to this blog and blogging in general..Much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not a problem. We are here to help in anyway we can. There are Ford reps that monitor these forums. Rebecca (FordIVTteam) looks after the IVT (In Vehicle Technology) issues and Crystal (FordService) looks after the other issues. They don't deal directly with the dealerships but send your case to your Regional Customer Service Manager for follow up. You can send Crystal a private message (PM) using the following link if you wish;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.

Peter

i am happy to report that the dealer was able to verify my concern and had a bulletin on the issue...the dreaded "wiper cowl"....i picked it up last night drove on the highway for a bit noise seems to be gone hopefully gone forever!! thanks for you help!!

I just purchased a 2015 Explorer Sport and just the other day noticed the issue. Does not always happen and seems to only occur when there is a cross wind. Will the dealer fix this under a warranty claim even if they do not experience the issue?

Windsheild Noise

Yes, there is a bulletin out on this issue and they knew about it. In my case, they were able to hear it as well...I do need to report that i still have the issue when i hit a pavement groove or bump on the highway...I have not been able to find the time to get back to the dealer yet...but yes, you should be able to get this fixed free of charge.

Welcome to the Forum BlitzKrieg71.:wavey:
In most cases now, it seems that the noise created by crosswinds etc, is because of the plastic cowl that runs along the bottom of the windshield. Some members have been able to eliminate the noise by taping the cowl down. If that cures the issue then you can go to the dealer and explain it to them. In any case, a dealer visit is probably the thing to do.

Peter

Confirming the fact that the 2015s still have this issue, appeared today on the I-95 (lucky to even hit freeway speeds!). Brand new '15 LTD with 1000 miles on it. I found working the wipers made it more quiet, guess it pushed the cowl down or affected the air flow? I had the wife take a video so the dealer would not think I am crazy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZceppAx_1Y

Going to take the car in anyway on Tuesday to repair a scuff, will know to call it a cowl issue and refer to the TSB rather than talking cryptically about some bees. Thanks, Explorerforum!

My explorer hood vibrates so much that it sounds as if the car is about to take off!

I got my 2015 explorer a month ago and did not drive it at a decent speed until recently when we went on a trip along the freeway from Houston to San Antonio. On this drive whenever I exceeded 70/72 MPH, I noticed strong vibrations and a very annoying noise which originated at the base of the windshield on the passenger side. The car literally sounded like a jet engine in the distance about to take off!

The car was brand new when I purchased it, has only done 1,500 miles, but nonetheless it has consistently vibrated at every occasion I have exceeded the 72 MPH.
My husband initially thought it was the windshield wipers on the passenger side but even when these are switched on the vibrations and noise are still there.

Do I need to take the car back to the dealership, and could you please help me here?
My dealership is Joe Myers on the 290 west in Houston

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the Forum Mughia.:wavey:
If you've read some of the recent posts you will find that several members have had an issue with the cowl that runs along the bottom of the windshield. If it was the hood, I think you would see the vibration. I have suggested to several members that if you tape down the cowl and try the running the vehicle at the higher speed again and the noise is gone, then you have isolated the problem.
If you want help getting this looked at you can also send a PM to Crystal, the Ford Service rep on here. See my post #261 for info.
Also, for future issues, it would help if you added the model (Base, XLT, Sport, Limited) to your profile so that it shows in the margin.

Peter

A-Pillar seals done yesterday, hope to have feedback on my noises being eliminated tomorrow after a drive down the freeway. I still have the hood vibration which I suspect is due to broken epoxy between the top and the cross bracing near the cowl area. I guess tomorrow should tell me if the cowl molding is also needing some attention.

Haven't had too many of the 'A' pillar issues lately. It was common on the earlier models.

Peter

Peter,
That was what I was thinking too, but they insisted this was the problem. Due to heavy traffic I was not able to have that nice open air around me to see if there was a fix. I still have the hood flexing, but not enough time to eval the A-Pillar repair.

I brought mine to the dealership yesterday to have the windshield noise looked at. I have the 2015 model. They looked at the windshield pillars. They said that previous years had the windshield issue. He looked in the door seal and noticed that my vehicle was built in August and may have not received the new pillars. I bring it in Tuesday for a mechanic to take a look.

Took the explorer in for service and had the cowling replaced and since that, the noise has not returned. Looked to be a quick fix.

3587, I've found that techs or service advisors use those TSB as rules rather than suggestions. In other words, if it only effect 12-13 models, it must not be true for a 15 model. I got the same response from service saying its not the cowl b/c that effected earlier models.

I recorded a video; I will try to tape along the top horizontal gap of the cowl; and I have a service appt this saturday.

2015 Ford Explorer Windshield noise

I have a 2015 Explorer and noticed a vibration noise coming from passenger windshield area at 70 mph. It sounds like a bee buzzing. I let my Ford Dealer know about it, but they stated that the issue had been resolved re. pillar clips on previous years and the 2015 should not have any issues with this noise. I checked this Forum and found out about the rubber cowling vibration where the cowling meets the windshield near the wipers. I checked mine and it was not resting securely against the windshield which appeared to me to be capable of causing a vibration at high speed ( much the way a strap will vibrate when subjected to high wind). I'm going to pick it up now and will post to notify if the problem is resolved.

UPDATE: Just picked up the Explorer and the new cowling is in place. The new one fits much tighter against the windshield and so far I have not been able to duplicate the buzzing noise that I heard previously.

I have a 2015 Explorer and noticed a vibration noise coming from passenger windshield area at 70 mph. It sounds like a bee buzzing. I let my Ford Dealer know about it, but they stated that the issue had been resolved re. pillar clips on previous years and the 2015 should not have any issues with this noise. I checked this Forum and found out about the rubber cowling vibration where the cowling meets the windshield near the wipers. I checked mine and it was not resting securely against the windshield which appeared to me to be capable of causing a vibration at high speed ( much the way a strap will vibrate when subjected to high wind). I'm going to pick it up now and will post to notify if the problem is resolved.

UPDATE: Just picked up the Explorer and the new cowling is in place. The new one fits much tighter against the windshield and so far I have not been able to duplicate the buzzing noise that I heard previously.

Funny how everyone thinks it was resolved. Ford tells everyone it's fixed even though it isn't? Brutal. Hopefully I can replicate the issue for them tomorrow.

Brought my 2015 to the dealership and they couldn't replicate the issue. So of course they said there is nothing they can do. No TSB for the 2015's they said, yet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back