Whats With All The Censorship? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Whats With All The Censorship?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Threads are usually merged where the topic pertains to the same issue. An engine replacement is an engine replacement. Why have a thread for each one even if the underlying cause is different. The same can be said for the water leak thread. The causes of the leaks are not all the same but why have 4 or 5 threads on Water Leaks when it is easier to read through one and perhaps see a resolution to your own issue already posted. Most mergers occur because members are not aware of or simply do not use the handy "Search" function that the Forum provides. When a thread is merged with an existing one, the poster is advised and more often than not, the answer they were looking for is in the existing thread. It also 'bumps' the older thread back to the current page so newer members will see it. This has happened on several occasions and suddenly new posts popped up in the thread from newer members who were not aware of certain issues/concerns. I am not here to make things more difficult for members but hopefully to make things easier. If you feel that certain things I'm doing are not beneficial to the overall membership, by all means please send a PM to Rick, the site Admin and I am sure he will get in touch and provide me with his advice on how to better manage the task.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Forum Censorship: Swearing, flaming, whatever, Ya sure, but disagree with the Moderators or mention Ford's poor quality or poor customer service and it is wide open as: "Simply the modern electronic equivalent of "book burning". best regards Plum

As stated before in this thread the "disagreement" point of view is incorrect. Have never deleted a post because of a disagreement with a member. I've stated several times in various posts that members are free to express their opinions and points of view as long as they fall within the Forum guidelines.
Also, I have never deleted any posts that criticized the Ford reps or Ford, again, as long as the post was within the Forum's guidelines. I have, however, on several occasions jumped to their (Reps) defence. Seems to be quite a bit of misinformation going around.:eek:

Peter

EGUY4

I also looked into your posts and find none were deleted. ( Moderators see all posts, deleted or not)

While this forum is public, you do have to be a member to post, and, the content is purely at the discretion of the owner and his admins. It might be worthwhile to read the forum rules and guidlines, FAQ's before posting.

Can we just delete this thread please?

Turdle,

I've had posts deleted for taking umbridge with one of Peter's comments in a particular thread. He and I replied back and forth on a point, and my posts were deleted. Peter's original post and comment which I disagreed with still stood. I never received any notification that any of my posts were being deleted, when the entire discussion could have been forked into a new thread (if that was even necessary). A number of users (myself included) have also had their posts EDITED by peter, with no explanation or notification given.

I think what a few of us are complaining about is that Peter, the seemingly only active mod in the 5th Gen Explorer Subforum, acts with impunity. If he has carte blanch to move, delete, and edit as he wishes - an explanation should at least be given where such action takes place. Example: "Mod edit: moving discussion on [forked discussion] to a new thread. [link to new thread]" and message the user informing them of the fork. The edits and deletions also seem to be over minor disagreements with Peter. Many of us don't think we need to have a thread edited over a minor shift from topic unless the off-topic discussion goes on for several pages.

Turdle,

I've had posts deleted for taking umbridge with one of Peter's comments in a particular thread. He and I replied back and forth on a point, and my posts were deleted. Peter's original post and comment which I disagreed with still stood. I never received any notification that any of my posts were being deleted, when the entire discussion could have been forked into a new thread (if that was even necessary). A number of users (myself included) have also had their posts EDITED by peter, with no explanation or notification given.

I think what a few of us are complaining about is that Peter, the seemingly only active mod in the 5th Gen Explorer Subforum, acts with impunity. If he has carte blanch to move, delete, and edit as he wishes - an explanation should at least be given where such action takes place. Example: "Mod edit: moving discussion on [forked discussion] to a new thread. [link to new thread]" and message the user informing them of the fork. The edits and deletions also seem to be over minor disagreements with Peter. Many of us don't think we need to have a thread edited over a minor shift from topic unless the off-topic discussion goes on for several pages.

I think a person needs to have some knowledge of a vehicle design before knowing if a post is off topic. Several threads on this board have gone well off in the past. Personally I have not even driven a 5th gen so I am clueless.
However, If Peter's moderation style is reflecting on keeping threads clean, I for one am all for that. I seriously doubt he meant to offend anyone. Try to keep in mind someone will come along and read a thread, and act accordingly. Sometimes without reading the whole thread. ;)

Sounds like y'all should get second gens. I never have any issues with any of those mods. :thumbsup: ;)

While I don't have any first hand experience with these removed posts, I will say that as a reader it is annoying to have to dig through arguments to find the information I am looking for. Which thankfully I rarely have to do. And as a poster I try to keep things on topic and not start arguments. However, what amd2800barton just said about mods writing short explanations with a "Mod Edit: " is a good idea, in my opinion. But it will put more time into their job, and they are just volunteering (as far as I understand), so there is only so much we can ask of them.

As previously mentioned, in most cases an explanation is given some regrettably have been missed and I apologized for that. This never seemed to be a big issue until this thread was begun and I don't see a whole lot of members complaining. If my post was left, it likely is an indication that it was relevant to the thread. I know that some of the posts I deleted were also my own because they were 'off topic'. I have received many more posts of appreciation than complaints. I have also sent PMs to other mods and the admin requesting any advice or direction.

Peter

I'm fine with keeping threads clean, and think almost everyone would agree with that. What I'm not cool with is having posts deleted or edited arbitrarily. Why do I say arbitrarily? Because no explanation was given at the time.

Edit: I should've post-quoted Turdle. Couple posts slipped in, but I'm replying to him.

I'm fine with keeping threads clean, and think almost everyone would agree with that. What I'm not cool with is having posts deleted or edited arbitrarily. Why do I say arbitrarily? Because no explanation was given at the time.

Edit: I should've post-quoted Turdle. Couple posts slipped in, but I'm replying to him.

In the past, just about every time I have sent PM to a member to explain why I deleted a post it turned into a defensive argument from both sides.

Peter has been moderating in this forum for several years. This is the first hint of a problem.

Peter, also got caught by a setting I didn't properly set when I created his moderator account. He had the option to physically delete posts, which no other moderator had. Peter never realized no other moderator had that function until he contacted me about the permanently deleted posts today.

Honest mistake, he thought that members could see "soft deleted" posts and that he had to use the physically remove option.

Going forward he will only be able to soft delete which will leave a record of deleted posts and or threads for review if the situation warrants.

I have no problem with Peter deleting infighting which does nothing to contribute to the conversation. Such infighting serves no purpose and is not helpful to those looking to solve a problem here.

Ford had no say in this forum's moderation. The most they have ever done is ask for me to look at a post which was a personal attack against one of their reps, something that is against the rules no matter who the attack was aimed at.

The best way to deal with issues such as this in "Real time" is to contact me via PM directly.

I see no reason to leave this thread open. If you have any issues please contact me.

Thanks,

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back