Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise | Page 63 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise

I have a 2015 Explorer and noticed a vibration noise coming from passenger windshield area at 70 mph...

Hi gang,

If you're experiencing this concern, your next step should be to have the dealership document and diagnose it. Need my help after you've been to your dealer? Just send me a PM with your info and I'll see what I can do. In your message, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey all,

New to the forum, lots of great info on here. I recently purchased a 2011 Explorer privately and noticed that I have this whistling coming from the windshield on the highway. Unfortunately I'm out of the warranty period, wondering is this something the dealership would cover or what might I be looking at to fix this?

Thanks

Welcome to the Forum Burnsy20.:wavey:
On the 2011 models the more common cause of whistling/rattling noises was caused by the 'A' pillars. The cowl might be the problem but it didn't seem to that big an issue compared to the 'A' pillar. Just check out the beginning of this thread. Not much of a chance this would be warranty covered in any way now.
You can also try sending a Private Message to Crystal (FordService), she is the Ford service rep that monitors this forum. You can use this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.
Good luck.

Peter

Well after 3 trips to dealership, they have not fixed it. First time, they didn't have enough time to fix it, so I had to come back. Second time, they attempted to fasten the cowl down with some black sticky adhesive, but still buzzed around 75mph. Took it back for a third time, but they said the TSB that shop foreman referenced earlier on his drive along didn't apply to this issue. They replaced the rubber cowl piece, but the buzz noise was still there at highway speeds. In fact the replaced piece was worse then the original piece and had more variations in the fitting. For now I have folded it down below the bracket and I will attempt to fix it myself by reshaping the cowl bracket closer to the windshield. <sigh>

Does anyone basic steps to remove the cowl cover and/or reference site? I can probably figure it out myself, but was hoping to save some time.

Well after 3 trips to dealership, they have not fixed it. First time, they didn't have enough time to fix it, so I had to come back. Second time, they attempted to fasten the cowl down with some black sticky adhesive, but still buzzed around 75mph. Took it back for a third time, but they said the TSB that shop foreman referenced earlier on his drive along didn't apply to this issue. They replaced the rubber cowl piece, but the buzz noise was still there at highway speeds. In fact the replaced piece was worse then the original piece and had more variations in the fitting. For now I have folded it down below the bracket and I will attempt to fix it myself by reshaping the cowl bracket closer to the windshield. <sigh>

Does anyone basic steps to remove the cowl cover and/or reference site? I can probably figure it out myself, but was hoping to save some time.

I just folded the top edge down under itself all the way across for about a week. Put it back and have not had any buzzing since.

I spoke too soon. After dealer applied a "fix" about a week ago the issue is back and in my view worse than it was. I have a video taken today and will share with the Regional Service Manager from Ford as this needs to be corrected. When you pay as much as Ford is charging for the 2015 or earlier model this quality issue is troubling.

I will post more as the process moves forward and what the eventual fix will be.

I spoke too soon. After dealer applied a "fix" about a week ago the issue is back and in my view worse than it was. I have a video taken today and will share with the Regional Service Manager from Ford as this needs to be corrected. When you pay as much as Ford is charging for the 2015 or earlier model this quality issue is troubling.

I will post more as the process moves forward and what the eventual fix will be.

Do you have the 2015?

I have the 2015... I can't get it to make the noise that the one poster has posted... I would assume it is very noticeable?

According to his profile, he has a 2015 Sport. The cowl noise isn't restricted to just 2015 models. I believe it has been around since 2011 but for some reason seems to have been more of an issue lately. In all cases it does not seem to affect the majority of Explorers.

Peter

Yes, I purchased 2015 Ford Explorer Sport about a month ago. The dealer replaced the plastic piece between the windshield and the hood. The detail on the service ticket refer to what was replaced as the cowl.

Yes, I purchased 2015 Ford Explorer Sport about a month ago. The dealer replaced the plastic piece between the windshield and the hood. The detail on the service ticket refer to what was replaced as the cowl.

Not sure I'm hearing that noise... I've heard some wind vibrations at times, but it doesn't happen enough to replicate at the dealership. I sure hope the 2015 doesn't have the same issues as the previous ones... I hope that I'm not disappointed and end up kicking myself for switching from Hyundai.

Windshield wind noise?

Here is a 15 second video of the noise that I hear when driving at speed in the 2015 Ford Explorer Sport. I received a PM this morning from Ford Service and looking forward to addressing this issue once and doe all on a vehicle that I have owned just about 30 days now....

http://youtu.be/wA0-aWHEf30

I think there are two threads discussing the same issue. Here is the other.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=411044

My 2015 X Sport is doing the same thing, went in three times to dealer to try to fix with no success. I ended up folding down the rubber cowl cover below the bracket until a long term fix is applied or I have the time to remove the cowl bracket and reform it.

I think there are two threads discussing the same issue. Here is the other.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=411044

My 2015 X Sport is doing the same thing, went in three times to dealer to try to fix with no success. I ended up folding down the rubber cowl cover below the bracket until a long term fix is applied or I have the time to remove the cowl bracket and reform it.

It appears to be very similar. Sad that a new vehicle has this issue and I am beginning to seriously reconsider my purchase. I spent the better part of 12 hours on the road this weekend, and the buzzing or vibration sound is more than annoying and is not what one expects when paying good money for a vehicle.

-Steve

It appears to be very similar. Sad that a new vehicle has this issue and I am beginning to seriously reconsider my purchase. I spent the better part of 12 hours on the road this weekend, and the buzzing or vibration sound is more than annoying and is not what one expects when paying good money for a vehicle.

-Steve

I'm not getting a buzzing noise, but I am hearing the wind vibration noise... It doesn't happen all the time and therefore impossible to replicate for the dealership. It is about the same sound a car makes with the windows down at high speeds. It is very loud and hurts the ears. I love the vehicle very much, but for $47K, there should be zero issues. Might have to go back to Hyundai.

I have my second appointment with the Service department on Friday (03Oct2014) to address this issue. I will be posting my experience and what actions were taken to resolve the noise issue seen in my earlier post.

-Steve

I have my second appointment with the Service department on Friday (03Oct2014) to address this issue. I will be posting my experience and what actions were taken to resolve the noise issue seen in my earlier post.

-Steve

Just got off the phone with the Ford Dealer Service tech regarding the 2015 Explorer Sport vibration noise concern. The dealer tech He indicated they believe the issue is related to the windshield wiper and motor and will be placing an emergency order for those parts and target install to occur 06Oct2014. The good news is they were able to reproduce the issue, lets hope the "fix" resolves the annoying issue.

-Steve

Hey Steve. If the noise occurs when the windshield wipers aren't being used, then I don't see how it can be the motor. To my knowledge, no one with the wind noise has had it cleared up by replacing the wiper motor. It is more than likely the cowl but then I'm not an expert and haven't actually experienced your particular problem. In any case, good luck. I hope they get it fixed for you.:thumbsup:

Peter

I am fairly certain the noise everyone is hearing is coming from the edge of the rubber cowl cover that attempts to fold close/flush with the windshield. I have taped it, fastened this down, folded it below the bracket and the noise goes away. When it is not, the noise eventually resurfaces.

However..... drum roll please....I was looking at it with someone else to get their opinion today and noticed something I hadn't noticed before. A "V shaped" male clip under the cowl bracket that appeared to line up with a opening on the body frame below the windshield. This was about 8-10 inches from A-pillar and approximately in the middle of the rigid bracket, 2-3 inches down from the top edge. I pressed firmly at that spot on the cowl and "click" it snapped nicely in that opening, securing the bracket very snuggly against the windshield similar to the driver side, which never has produced the buzzing sound on that side. I will drive it home tonight and let everyone know. <cross my fingers>

Long time lurker first time poster, my sister bought a 2013 took it in windsheild was making noise, the dealer foud out the wiper arms and motor were not right and there is some defect, hers has not made the noise since, I'm about royale my sport in for the same thing

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Blownby.:wavey:
That is indeed interesting to hear about the motor.
Although you stated, "I'm about royale my sport", I think I know what you meant to say.;)

Peter

Back