Help 2002 Explorer V6 4.0L SOHC 180,000 KMS | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help 2002 Explorer V6 4.0L SOHC 180,000 KMS

sslinn

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
Hi Folks,

First I want to thank you for your replies as this forum is a life saver.

I took my 2002 Explorer to the shop to have the springs and struts replaced as I didn't think I would be able to do it myself. Pricey to say the least.

They also have suggested I have the following done/replaced:

Fuel filter, PCV valve, plugs and wires, fuel injection service and brakes all the way around. I am not really liking the estimate given and I think with your help I can do pretty much all of it myself.

I rate myself with below average mechanical ability and I wanted any tips, tricks, suggestions or cautions about doing these things myself. Reading here and Youtube have given me some good information but I wanted to ask the group of advice.

And I can't find the proper replacement pcv valve.

Thanks again for your help, I appreciate it.

Shayne

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would defiantly without question do the fuel filter, and the plugs/wires. Especially if they are all original.

If you have never done these services before, for the fuel filter, plugs, wires, and certainly brakes, PLEASE for your wallet's sake, make sure you have someone with you who has done these repairs before. Definitely the brakes. You don't want your audition for brake jobs to be on a 4700 lb truck which takes forever to stop at the best of times. We will help out with tips etc but again, please have someone with you to do these.

If you have never done these services before, for the fuel filter, plugs, wires, and certainly brakes, PLEASE for your wallet's sake, make sure you have someone with you who has done these repairs before. Definitely the brakes. You don't want your audition for brake jobs to be on a 4700 lb truck which takes forever to stop at the best of times. We will help out with tips etc but again, please have someone with you to do these.

My wife is already a big fan of yours.

After the experience with the pcv valve today I will have my buddy assist me with everything else. Looks so easy on youtube. :D

It always looks easy on YouTube.

The more you do the easier it gets. You will need to buy tools as you go. You will skin/scrape/scratch/smash and otherwise abuse your hands. You will make mistakes. You will break things. You'll get pissed off. You'll get frustrated.

You will also have a sense of accomplishment when you are done. You will learn a great deal, and be better for it. You will learn a ton about your vehicle and have more confidence when things go wrong in the future. You won't be at the mercy (financially and time wise) of service shops.

Finding someone to help you is an excellent idea. Good luck!

Back