How to change intake on 4.6L V8 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to change intake on 4.6L V8

FYI

Have the same issue with my 2002 Explorer. Called my local dealer and he quoted $225 for labor plus parts. The parts dept quoted me $400 for the intake. So $625 plus coolant. The service mgr said the labor price holds even if I buy the parts but then there is no warranty. So with the Doorman part it would be $225 plus about $160 for the intake. Plus coolant. So maybe $400 total

Called a local top independent and they quoted $550 incl coolant with their parts.

For $225 it might be worth it to have a Ford mechanic do it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Excellent post with great pictures.

I chose to go with the OEM intake, as I read a lot of bad things about the Dorman intake on several other forums, not sure if I'm allowed to mention which.
I got it for $184 at this link:
http://www.gefracing.com/index.php?act=show_part_datail&part_id=590

I would love to get one of these all aluminum intakes some day, as I am starting to build a collection of busted 4.6L SOHC intakes. http://amzn.com/B001R1UB0U

I would also like to suggest that this is also a great time for soaking your injectors overnight and then blowing them out: http://oldfuelinjection.com/?p=82

This post seems to be installing 615-175 dorman part yet it has the nipple for the pcv heat. Dorman states 615-175 does not have pcv valve heat. What it the deal here? Mine is leaking and has the nipple beside the thermostat. Does 615-175 work then?

would bad plenum gaskets cause skipping or a misfire? i have oil seeping into two of my spark plug holes and it isnt from the valve covers around 2000rpm my montaineer hesitates and skips while going up hill on light throttle i already changed the air and fuel filters and all the spark plugs and coils

just curious why does dorman/amazon 615-175 says this dosnt fit 2003 explorer v8 4.6l?

I've even called them on this and their answer was there was a clearance problem at the throttle body. After reviewing many posts on this subject I went ahead and ordered it anyway and assure you I have absolutely no problem with the fit whatsoever. Only thing is if you have the hose on passenger side that is at forward end you leave the dorman cap on the passenger rear side. Before installin. I had to clean up a little surface corrosion on the pass side water port to make sure the seal would not leak. Skimmed a little JB weld over the corrosion too for a.flat surface. Dorman fit fine

DickyDanger, that is probably not oil. It is probably coolant that is leaking slowly and mixing with grit/grime/dirt/whatever to make it dirty in color. I thought mine were leaking oil as well but it turned out to definitely be coolant. Once I did the repair I no longer had the stuff in my spark plug wells that I initially thought was oil.

Trust the experience on this board. It is more than likely coolant.

Edit: Nevremind, I didn't think it through before posting. However, now that it's all back together, I have white smoke (didn't have it before) and it's running the same as when the plug wells would fill with coolant and cause a misfire.

I'm finishing up my manifold replacement on my '02 and am wondering if I need to use the new alternator bracket or if I can use the original. This was not detailed in the included instructions.

I replaced the manifold with my 2002 Expl with the 4.6 eng about a month ago. I used the Dorman part purchased from O'reillys Auto Parts. If we are talking about the same manifold part, then use the new alternator bracket, and you will find they supply an extra bracket which I assume is for a different application. Also, with that new bracket, I had to go get a couple of spacers and a couple of longer bolts/screws for attachment as needed. I got those parts at a lumber/hardware store.

Successfully replaced the intake on an 02 4.6L but have a question on the engine cowl bracket. I'm not exactly sure if it is called an "engine cowl" but it is the large curved cover that covers the throttle body and makes the engine box look cleaner.

The Dorman kit I used had a replacement alternator bracket that I used when putting things back together. I used the new bolts that came with the kit instead of the oem bolt studs. In fact, when putting it back together I didn't even think about the oem bolt studs vs the new bolts.

When trying to install the cowl I discovered that there were no bolt studs to attach the front of the cowl to. Since a couple weeks passed from when I installed the manifold (to insure it was running ok) and when I installed the cowl, I had discarded all the extra and old parts. I just assumed the cowl install was a simple last step.

So, I don't have the front bolt studs any longer and I discovered that even if I still had them they don't line up with the holes in the cowl anyway! And there are no holes in the new brackets where a bolt stud could be installed. I zip tied the front of the cowl for now.

Is there a better more permanent solution?

I just checked mine, the front studs for the engine cover came attached to the new alternator bracket provided by Dorman. Check yours? Maybe call Dorman, maybe they'll send you a proper part if there is a problem.?

Good suggestion. Thanks, I'll do that. The bolt holes are not even close to being aligned.

intake manifold

Why in the world would they make the intake manifold plastic and can u change it over to an aluminum one? Mines a 03 explorer eddie bauer with v8

Also, fyi, to anyone using the Dorman part -- if yours came with a rubber stop and spring hoseclamp in the back passenger side of the manifold, replace that hoseclamp to a worm type. Getting on the freeway one day, I floored it due to some semi trucks. The water pressure shot off that rubber stop, coolant went everywhere, and I was stuck on the freeway.

What does the plastic part under the intake do? Mine has a crack in the front, maybe more that I don't see. As the OP's pix showed, the underside piece falls apart. Will it create a vacuum leak?

Mines not leaking any antifreeze, but at times, the PCM is having to add fuel. Just found this when replacing the alternator, again.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 254

When I replaced my intake manifold, a big plastic shield that surrounds the bottom of the old manifold came off -- in easy to break off pieces. I couldn't figure out what it was or where to buy a new one, so I called Dorman since I was using their new part. They said it is a noise reducer/insulator. He also said to throw it away. It won't hurt a thing.

When I replaced my intake manifold, a big plastic shield that surrounds the bottom of the old manifold came off -- in easy to break off pieces. I couldn't figure out what it was or where to buy a new one, so I called Dorman since I was using their new part. They said it is a noise reducer/insulator. He also said to throw it away. It won't hurt a thing.

Thanks! That's what I'd read in the 4.0 post, but wanted to verify. I touched the lip on mine and it just fell off. Was kind of hoping it had something to do with my positive fuel trim, oh well.

05 Explorer 4.6L manfold

Thanks for all the pics and replies to this job. I have a dealer with my local dealer, (shop foreman) that I pay roughly 50-60% of Dealer price. $1500 my dealer quoted. So the $1400. that's mentioned above is right depending where you're located in the country. I'm having my shop foreman contact run the job with the discounted cash price. No Receipts Produced. All Cash.

I now know what to ask and what the job entails and might consider doing it, but weather is not the best at the moment. Mountain living with strong winds and other weather and no garage yet. :)

I'm in the process of replacing my intake manifold using the Dorman product. I took off the factory original and also noted the noise reducer/insulator is falling apart. Per your comment I will throw it away but I'm curious to know if anyone has noticed the engine being louder or hearing new "unwelcomed sounds" since the noise insulator is no longer in place.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Syber, I will say if u replace the intake with the Dorman and have the port capped on passenger side rear, cap it with something other than the rubber cap that comes with intake. Mine recently rotted the rubber cap and it leaked after a few years. I had a spare cap from autozone but it was the exact same type rubbber cap so I did permanent replacement with 3/4 inch heater hose and plugged end of hose with a short steel pipe (nipple) and a pipe cap. That rubber cap won't take the heat and degrades.

Back