new SYNC Software V3.7 update | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

new SYNC Software V3.7 update

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/tonybra...s-market-share-but-apple-makes-all-the-money/

The most recent data from IDC shows that for Q3 of 2013 Android made up 81 percent of devices shipped. You read that right—four out of every five smartphones shipped in Q3 were built on Android. Meanwhile, Apple’s iOS scraped by with a sad and distant second place figure of only 12.9 percent.

Sorry for thread hijack but I'm going to suggest this is outdated data.

No Android device sells 3000 every SECOND like the iPhone6 did the first 3 days it was available. Ten million total for 72 hours. I just don't see Androids going out the door that fast.

Nobody camps overnight to buy an Android.

And then there's this..........

iPhone 6 Reservations Reportedly Top 4M in China
With the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus headed to China next week, MacRumors is reporting that preorders in that country may wind up matching or even exceeding those of the US and other countries. According to Tencent, the devices have racked up four million reservations in the first day, nearly double the estimated two million in the first six hours on Friday. Despite continued shortages here in the US (particularly for iPhone 6 Plus), Apple plans to put the new smartphones on sale in China next Friday, October 17.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BTW it's not faithfulness its the Apple KoolAid we drink!

Ya think? :D I've had iPhone since the 3 when they came out to public. The only problem I ever had was on my 4, the on/off button became useless after a year. Carrying my regular 5 now for 2 years and I'm thinking about a regular 6,,, just waiting for the new to wear off. I have an S3 as my work cell phone and hate it so that I fwd my business calls to my iPhone. :biggthump Reason? I program industrial machines for a living and the last thing I want to do is have to mess around with my cell to get it to work. iPhone just works, all the time, every time.

Okay, enough of the cell phone wars, it's almost like politics and religion.

1200 miles on my '14 Sport with the V3.7 MFT update and no gripes. I keep expecting stuff to pop up but it doesn't.

I'd wager to say that I'd be a bit miffed too if I had a 2011 - 2013 and wasn't issued an update. I read one post that the APIMs are the same, that is, the hardware is the same and that may be but how about the firmware on those chips? Analogy,,, our V-6 engine maybe the same (APIM, hardware) but the on the newer model, the cam timing/grinds, ignition timing, et.al. may be different (Firmware). I don't know if that's the case or not but it's just for trying to maybe explain why there isn't an MFT update for the 11 - 13.

FWIW, FMC does owe the 11 - 13 owners an explanation and possible release date of forthcoming updates with respect to your issues.

Sorry for thread hijack but I'm going to suggest this is outdated data.

No Android device sells 3000 every SECOND like the iPhone6 did the first 3 days it was available. Ten million total for 72 hours. I just don't see Androids going out the door that fast.

Nobody camps overnight to buy an Android.

And then there's this..........

iPhone 6 Reservations Reportedly Top 4M in China
With the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus headed to China next week, MacRumors is reporting that preorders in that country may wind up matching or even exceeding those of the US and other countries. According to Tencent, the devices have racked up four million reservations in the first day, nearly double the estimated two million in the first six hours on Friday. Despite continued shortages here in the US (particularly for iPhone 6 Plus), Apple plans to put the new smartphones on sale in China next Friday, October 17.

Yes, it might be true there is no "ONE" Android device that sells like the iPhone, but several manufacturers that sells many different Android devices that add up & DO sell much more than the iPhone.

I think the delay in releasing the iphone 6 allowed for some catch up, but since the release of the 6 I would suggest things are back the other way.

They may have had loads of Apple users ready for an upgrade to a bigger phone which the rest of us have been able to enjoy for years, but they certainly have not surpassed Android devices in market share.

Yes, it might be true there is no "ONE" Android device that sells like the iPhone, but several manufacturers that sells many different Android devices that add up & DO sell much more than the iPhone.

Exactly.

Android operating system has out sold iPhone, for years now

Is there an explanation of why 11-13 vehicles don't get to benefit from the update? Have we hit our end-of-life with sync updates, or is there something specific about this one that keeps us from having it applied? I think telling us that our vehicles are up to date is rather inaccurate.

I'm with you 13Sport. I'd like an explanation as to why exactly this update doesn't apply. I understand what Rebecca said, but some more details would be nice.

Calling it 3.7 is strange as well. If there are going to be two forks, one for 2011-2013 models and one for > 2014 models, then calling it 3.7 makes no sense - what new software version would 2011-2013 get? It only makes sense if 2011-2013 are EOL with no new updates.

It's not like version 3.6.2 is bug free. I still have duplicate POIs for everything.

EDIT: Pure speculation, but I just had an idea - perhaps version 3.7 requires the A6 map card (which is on all new 2014s) and Ford didn't want to have to buy everyone a new map card AGAIN.

I'm running 3.7 with an A4 card. There are posts in another thread where a version 3.7 was discussed but it was deemed to be an "international" version not meant for us to use. It is discussed in the last few pages of the following thread; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348386

Peter

I'm with you 13Sport. I'd like an explanation as to why exactly this update doesn't apply. I understand what Rebecca said, but some more details would be nice.

Calling it 3.7 is strange as well. If there are going to be two forks, one for 2011-2013 models and one for > 2014 models, then calling it 3.7 makes no sense - what new software version would 2011-2013 get? It only makes sense if 2011-2013 are EOL with no new updates.

It's not like version 3.6.2 is bug free. I still have duplicate POIs for everything.

EDIT: Pure speculation, but I just had an idea - perhaps version 3.7 requires the A6 map card (which is on all new 2014s) and Ford didn't want to have to buy everyone a new map card AGAIN.

When did the A6 Map Card come out?.....I just got the A5 a few months ago.

It only makes sense if 2011-2013 are EOL with no new updates.

Bumper to Bumper warranty is out for most of these vehicles. So, if Ford releases an update for an out of warranty vehicle, and the APIM gets bricked requiring a trip to the dealer to fix, who pays? I can see Ford's logic.

APIM has a 5 year no mileage warranty.

Peter

APIM has a 5 year no mileage warranty.

Peter

You missed my point. Perhaps its some other issue, or the APIM needs reloading with the Ford service tool....not replaced. You are generating a trip. Who pays? What is the expectation?

At some point, you have to create EOL for products.

Bumper to Bumper warranty is out for most of these vehicles. So, if Ford releases an update for an out of warranty vehicle, and the APIM gets bricked requiring a trip to the dealer to fix, who pays? I can see Ford's logic.

Like Peter said, the APIM has a 5year unlimited mileage warranty, so, Ford Pays. Ford also said we'd get updates for the warranty period also in the notice they sent out.

You missed my point. Perhaps its some other issue, or the APIM needs reloading with the Ford service tool....not replaced. You are generating a trip. Who pays? What is the expectation?

APIM on 2013 and 2014 is the same piece of hardware. Same part number, etc. There is no hardware difference between 2014 and 2013. Many have installed 3.7 on their 2013- vehicles w/ no issue, this is purely a marketing/business decision. There are no technical limitations (unless someone from Ford corrects me) to using 3.7 on 2013 and lower vehicles.

You do need to EOL things eventually. IMHO, less than 1 year after the models calendar year when you could still find a few '13s new on the lot this year is too soon. For example, windows XP wasn't ended until 12 years after its release date 4 years after windows 7 was released.

I guess they started building vehicles that the wheels don't fall off at 100,000 miles any more, this is the latest attempt at engineered obsolescence. Build a car that after 3-4 years all the electronics are obsolete, or worse, shortly after you buy it. Eventually it won't work with any gadgets you have so it makes you feel like you need a new one. I guess I'll tape an iPad over my MFT screen eventually.

APIM on 2013 and 2014 is the same piece of hardware. Same part number, etc. There is no hardware difference between 2014 and 2013. Many have installed 3.7 on their 2013- vehicles w/ no issue, this is purely a marketing/business decision. There are no technical limitations (unless someone from Ford corrects me) to using 3.7 on 2013 and lower vehicles.

Engineered obsolescence.

In response to some other posts:

First, as already pointed out, this is not a system you can just replace with an aftermarket solution if you don't like it or if it continues to be problematic.

Second, this isn't a cellphone that you can replace every two years (unless you like leasing and having a continual car payment). I feel that automotive telematics should be something that is supported by Ford for an extended period. If they have a bug, it needs to be fixed. While I understand this doesn't continue to perpetuity, if you are a 2013 owner, you'd have to be pretty ticked - especially when there appear to be NO hardware differences that would logically explain why the 2014's get the update and the others dont. From that perspective it appears to be an incredibly cruddy move by Ford.

Third, if they EOL it, be honest about it. I've been an owner since 2011 and have seen the huge problems the early adopters of this system have had. While I personally have had decent luck with it, I've seen the utter frustration of many who used to be members here (search for posts by a user called LoganFilm for example) and Ford owners who left Ford and left this forum because their systems were unusable. While subsequent updates have made the system decently stable, there has been a bevy of features and functionality that Ford had promised many customers that they have yet to deliver (3 years later).

While Ford has fixed many of the software issues, in all honesty, the lasting impression from the MFT debacle that Ford still has not fixed is Ford's lack of honest communication with customers. Nobody is told what is being developed, when, and how. Bottom line is that Ford has never been forthcoming with its customers with respect to MFT.

As a counter example, Motorola was honest with me and said that my Razr HD MAxx would get Android KitKat and that was the last release they would support. They told me that they would provide KitKat 6 months before they did and then they followed through. Ford tells us nothing.

Rebecca's statement says that they will continue to develop for all cars, but this release itself seems to contradict that as I've pointed out. Also, the fact that others have loaded 3.7 on their pre 2014s also contradicts her statement. I'm not blaming Rebecca, she's just repeating what Ford tells her, but Ford itself should be giving her better information.

For those that have 2014's - enjoy the updates while you can. Remember that Ford is moving toward Blackberry QNIX. Will you be included in that update? Honestly I wouldn't buy a Ford product right now with so much uncertainty. If they came out and said "X model years will get the QNIX update," I would be more inclined, but right now, why would I pay $50k for something that is going to be EOL in 6 months? Moreover, one might add, why would I pay $50k for something that was obsolete compared to competitor systems 2 years ago?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back