Custom head light build | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Custom head light build

Here are some pics installed, looks clean!

20141006_171632.jpg

20141006_171653.jpg

20141006_171643.jpg

dentalpain Im going to take you up on your offer because I need to send the left head light back because the turn signal is out of sequence and they left an orange bulb in there. I ended up going to a shop though to get everything wired so Im planning to put the stock back for now and have everything just there in the mean time while they can try and help me sort out stuff

Kudos for trying something different for sure. Not exactly my cup of tea but if you love it, that is all that matters!

Interested to know how it looks at night, both as a driver and viewing as oncoming traffic.

Good work!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm actually still debating how crazy I am about it

Its doesn't really fit the vehicle. It looks like someone retro'd motorcycle projectors and takes away from the manly appearance of the front end. One other issue is your inability to aim these headlights. The OEMs (and modified OEMs) can be aimed to avoid on coming traffic. I had to do this procedure this weekend. I hate being "that guy". Man award to going outside the lines though! Call me whenever.

I like it.. But maybe it would look better if the lower portion was painted black instead of white? painting it black would blend in more with the black grill which for me is better than trying to blend it with the bumper color. Just my thoughts :)

Here is a fast photoshop of what I meant
20141006_171643_zps0dfe182a.jpg

Very Land Rover, white looks way nicer.

They just seem too small to me. I love the idea just not sure how it goes. Very cool mod none the less

any night pictures? do they light up the road good

I like it.. But maybe it would look better if the lower portion was painted black instead of white? painting it black would blend in more with the black grill which for me is better than trying to blend it with the bumper color. Just my thoughts :)

Here is a fast photoshop of what I meant
20141006_171643_zps0dfe182a.jpg

Actually making it black may be a an alternate solution to looking small. None the less not sure what I'm going to do with these yet. It is really bright though at night

I'm actually still debating how crazy I am about it

It is a clean job, though I understand your inner conflict.

I think custom body work on the bumper I had mentioned before would ease that a bit. What you're eyes are likely focusing on is not the white on the lens, but the fact that the lens and bumper separation is noticeable.

I love the idea and kudos for inspiring me. I'm gonna have to pay another visit to the junk yard and get a bumper to mod. I personally like the outcome, but would cover up the lower part of the headlight with body, not simply paint.

What projectors are these? Output shots?

I've been planning a custom headlight build for awhile. I may end up having a specialty shop do it for me ( [MENTION=234390]xbreaker[/MENTION] who did you use?), but I've already bought most all of the parts (except spare headlight housings)... so I think I'll try to do it myself first.

Can anyone confirm that the headlight housing is the same for all models from 2011-2015? For instance, if I bought a base 2011 headlight housing, will it fit my 2014 Sport without issue?

I know there's aesthetic differences (e.g. black trim, smoked lens)... but anything besides that? I'll be painting the trim and tinting the lens... so I think I can save a lot of money by buying a nonsport / older headlight. Thoughts?

Looks prett cool. I think I like it better with the bottoms black though on a white car.

I've been planning a custom headlight build for awhile. I may end up having a specialty shop do it for me ( [MENTION=234390]xbreaker[/MENTION] who did you use?), but I've already bought most all of the parts (except spare headlight housings)... so I think I'll try to do it myself first.

Can anyone confirm that the headlight housing is the same for all models from 2011-2015? For instance, if I bought a base 2011 headlight housing, will it fit my 2014 Sport without issue?

I know there's aesthetic differences (e.g. black trim, smoked lens)... but anything besides that? I'll be painting the trim and tinting the lens... so I think I can save a lot of money by buying a nonsport / older headlight. Thoughts?

I was in the same boat, and someone pointed out they are all the same. Even the Ford part numbers are identical. Just make sure the light housings you are buying are halogen models and not the factory HID assembly.

Cool. Thanks. Wonder what would make the HID housings different tho.

Anyone reason to guess what percentage tint would make non-sport headlights look as dark as the Sport ones? I'd like the same look with the lights off, but don't want to go too dark as to not drastically reduce the intensity of the light (I will however be installing 50 watt ballasts... so that should make up the difference plus some in light output).

My plan is to buy older housings on the cheap, perform a restoration, then apply a tint to darken and protect the plastic. Anyone see any flaws in this plan?

The difference is the interior reflector. The HID and Halogen have reflectors designed specifically for the OEM type bulb so hat they can be precisely focused. The member that opened the housing confirmed the differences. The fact that Ford parts have identical part numbers doesn't necessarily mean the parts are identical. This was proven a couple of years ago when a member had the front valance replaced. The one the dealership installed had the opening for the tow package although the Explorer didn't have that package. Dealer had to re-order the same part number and specify that there was no tow package so that the correct one would be sent.

Peter

If I was retrofitting with HID projectors and bulbs, then wouldn't I want the HID housing?

I'm still skeptical that there's a difference outside of the projectors/bulbs (i.e. in the actual plastic)... or that it would matter (especially since I'll be painting most of it black).

Is there any thread with pics showing/discussing the difference?

As I previously mentioned, one member, tonystewart, actually opened up the housings and confirmed that the interior reflectors are different. He is also not the only one to mention this. Since the HID and Halogen bulbs produce light in different ways, the internal reflector is designed for each type in order to allow for precise focusing.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412384

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397594
starting on page 9.

Peter

I believe I found the post(s) you were referring to by TonyStewart, and you either read him wrong, or haven't the experience to know the difference. The housing themselves {as I said before, only referring to the plastic structure / lens} are *NOT* different between models or years (besides cosmetically, or at the most possibly bulb socket fitment).

What *IS* different is the projector that sits inside the housing, which is what focuses the light. Since I will be replacing the projectors, this matters not. If anyone is looking to do a complete retrofit / headlight redesign, you can buy a housing from any model/year 5th generation Explorer and it will fit.

The confusion comes from the fact that usually the housings come with the projectors in them (since it takes baking/cutting the housing open to remove/replace them). If you can find a housing that has already been opened, buy it! They are extremely difficult & tedious to open.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is the internal projectors that are different. I mistakenly referred to then as 'reflectors' before. That was incorrect. The housings are the same.

Peter

Back