Aftermarket wheels | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket wheels

"Might consider tinting your headlights also..."

Just keep in mind that tinting any lighting feature will also reduce the light output.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Whats up new member John here. Just picked up my 2015 white Sport today and was planning on getting some wheels. Either 22" or 24" Lexani Css 7 in black/machined or some Dub Push wheels.

If I'm lowered on H and R springs will 24" look way to big? Should I stick to the 22?

Opinions welcome.

Welcome to the Forum John925.:wavey:

Peter

Whats up new member John here. Just picked up my 2015 white Sport today and was planning on getting some wheels. Either 22" or 24" Lexani Css 7 in black/machined or some Dub Push wheels.

If I'm lowered on H and R springs will 24" look way to big? Should I stick to the 22?

Opinions welcome.

My personal opinions is that 24's look too big on the Ex. 22's would be perfect IMO.

If you went with 24's, you would have to start to wear your belt below your ass cheeks, and of course baseball cap sideways yo! :D

I have 22's, size is just right IMO.

frank

Opinions welcome.

here is mine:

20 x 9 rims / 265/50/20 tires

DSC_4919_zps584f8b00.jpg

DSC_4920_zps8fa180ce.jpg

here is mine:

20 x 9 rims / 265/50/20 tires

DSC_4919_zps584f8b00.jpg

DSC_4920_zps8fa180ce.jpg

Are you planning to put springs to lower it a little???? I am thinking to put springs in mine with the 20" factory rims.

Has anybody done that yet???

Are you planning to put springs to lower it a little???? I am thinking to put springs in mine with the 20" factory rims.

No plans to lower it, I like it the way it is right now, not really sure if I will like the stiffness of the ride when its lowered as per the feedback of those who have done it.

Im planning on lowering mine with the stock rims next week. At least until Im 100 percent decided on which 22's I want.

[MENTION=211657]mhikeboy[/MENTION] on the front grill, how'd you get the middle bar flat/smooth?

MyEx_zpsd99ec1f2.jpg

22x9 front
22x10.5 rear

285/40
265/40

I haven't checked the Ford manual but I know on my AWD Nissan they specifically stated not to mix match tire sizes front to back going so far as to say never to replace just the front or rear tires and replace them all at the same time if tread difference is X amount different between front to back.

Did some digging online and further found that this was due to the way AWD systems in general are calibrated in needing to account for close to the same rotational mass and weight on all 4 corners.

I say all this to ask does anyone know for sure if this is an issue on our vehicles? I see some have changed sizes front to back and am curious if anyone looked into that OR if its just fodder for the tire biz to make more money replacing 4 tires instead of 2....

Assuming the OEM was 255/50R20 then the 265/40R22has a diameter variance of 1.02% and the 285/40R22 has a variance of 3.12%. The generally accepted difference of 3%.
It is never a good idea to mix tire sizes, especially on a vehicle with AWD and can cause possible damage.

Peter

There are plenty of AWD vehicles that come with staggered setups from the factory. Examples have already been mentioned on this very forum. Peter this is also not the first time you have made this statement without any evidence to support your claim.

Your calculations are also probably off if you did not take into account rim width and the tire stretch involved. I believe I am way below the 3% range, but math has never been my strong suit. I did use a wheel/tire size reference book before making my choices.

There are plenty of AWD vehicles that come with staggered setups from the factory. Examples have already been mentioned on this very forum. Peter this is also not the first time you have made this statement without any evidence to support your claim.

I did check this out on the Internet before posting.
http://www.souzastireservice.com/tires-101/tire-matching-awd-4wd.aspx
http://www.pepboys.com/tires/treadsmart/replacing_tires_on_allwheel_drive_vehicles/
http://www.3si.org/forum/f35/different-tire-sizes-awd-car-will-hurt-please-inform-100022/index3.html

And there are plenty more.

Peter

Did you read them? They all come to the same conclusion. Outside diameter. If you achieve the same diameter then the rest is just theory until proven otherwise. Show me one example of someone damaging their transmission caused by a staggered setup within tolerance.

Hey, if you're happy then I'm happy. It's not my vehicle. Enjoy.:thumbsup:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ben Sport what kind of wheels are those? Can you post a side pic?

Back