Transmission "bump" aka "hard shifting" TSB | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission "bump" aka "hard shifting" TSB

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it does and I believe this is currently being done to my vehicle under it. I will confirm.

Thank you blwnsmoke!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Transmission issues and reflashes are powertrain.

Transmission issues and reflashes are powertrain.

So if I am having my transmission flashed on my CPO 2011 EX I shouldn't have to pay for it?

EDIT: Spoke to the dealership again and because they cannot duplicate the issue they cannot submit it for warranty purposes. I opted to pay for the flash to stay ahead of any problems.

Did it fix the problem? If so, then obviously it was required and should be covered.

Peter

We have not picked it up from the dealer yet. Problem is there was never really a problem other than the yellow warning showing on the dash and the terrain button being black. I have seen the error message 3 different times since purchasing back on Oct 27th. It was very random so to gauge whether or not this has resolved the problem will be hard.

Transmission Jolt

If you have a new model Explorer and you notice the transmission jolt, particularly when you decelerate and then accelerate, at around 15-20 mph, get in to the dealer now, this jolting will ultimately destroy your transmission, repair bill is approx. $3,000-$4,000. Thats right a 4 year old car needs a new transmission because of a badly designed and engineered transmission, and yet we the owners yet stuck paying.
Be warned if your transmission jolts or hard shifts, it will ultimately destroy your tranny.
Oh and Ford Canada's official email answer , to put it bluntly, "Oh well, too bad"I as much as we love the car, I guess our next vehicle will not be a Ford. I guess they don't see having to buy or rebuild a tranny in a 4 year old car was not acceptable, especially when this is clearly a manufacturing defect straight from Ford itself.
If you have a warranty and your explore is doing this get it serviced now, before you get hosed.

i have experienced this twice where i came to a red light then turns green so i go back to gas and feel a "jolt' like the gear gets slammed down now that i am pressing the gas and this is occurring at low speed and not aggressive acceleration.

There is a TSB for this with an updated transmission calibration that fixes this jolt.

Has nothing to do with a badly engineered transmission, all software. The transmissions/power trains in Ford vehicles are actually quite good compared to the competition.

A search of TSB's in the sticky at the top of the forum lists the solution.
"
TSB 13-3-18
03/26/13
3.5L TI-VCT OR 3.7L ENGINE - 6F50 OR 6F55
TRANSMISSION - SLUGGISH ACCELERATION FROM
A ROLLING STOP - FOLLOWED BY A HARSH BUMP
OR SLIP
FORD:
2011-2012 Edge, Explorer
LINCOLN:
2011-2012 MKX
ISSUE
Some 2011-2012 Explorer, Edge and MKX vehicles equipped with 3.5L Ti-VCT or 3.7L engine and 6F50 or 6F55 transmission may exhibit sluggish acceleration from a rolling stop, followed by a harsh bump or slip.
ACTION
Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 83.05 and higher. Calibration files may also be obtained at the website."

Thanks i will bring by the dealer to check on this !!

Hey everyone!

The first step is making an appointment with your dealerships so they can take a look. Additionally, you can reach out to me so I can see how I can assist; all I need from you is a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name. I'll get to work!

Thanks,

Crystal

The challenge is replicating the symptom at the time of the dealer appointment. I have the same issue starting to appear with my 2016 XLT. I've had it happen a few times, and yesterday was the worst yet. My car has 5900 miles. So, absent a TSB I am left to luck if it appears at the dealership or to live with it until it happens on a predictable basis then take it to the dealer with fingers crossed.

So, the Explorer went in and the dealer couldnt recreate the issue checked fluid its was clean as there was some work done to it last year and no filings seen, i will continue to monitor and video tape some trips to see if i can capture this. warranty up in 2000 km so running out of time here.

It is the dealership that decides if the the TSB pertains to your vehicle, which obviously does. Since it it a simple software update, don't know why they didn't do it instead of you spending your time jumping through the hoops for something that is obviously a known fact.

I believe it took 20 mins on my sisters Ex, no hassle at all, they new totally fixed the problem.

You are not the 1st one with this problem.

It is the the dealer that can make or break a company's reputation.

Good luck with that dealership, hope all goes better on the next trip in.

Completely agree with tinner. I would have told them to do it.. my dealer performs TSBs if the complaint matches regardless of whether they can duplicate it. If there is no TSB then they won't throw parts at something if they can'take duplicate.

I would discuss with the service manager or GM of the dealership. Worst case, pay the 1 hour of labor to get it done to protect your transmission BUT you should not have to pay for it.

I purchased the used ford in 2010. I had never had an SUV before, so I didn't really know this was as abnormal as it was. I thought SUV's were just rough drivers. However, when my dad came to visit he asked why it was jerking like that. I said, " I thought it was supposed to". After that, I took it to the dealer and asked them if there was something wrong with my transmission, they assured that there was nothing wrong with it. I'm not car expert so I left it at that.

Well, it was under an extended warranty and I wanted to ensure that it gets fixed before it expired. Every time I would take my truck in for any type of service I would ask about the jerking, they would say it was fine. I recently met someone who has a 2006 Ford Explorer who described the problem and stated that he had the same problem with his which is why he got rid of it.

Now what I don't understand is why Ford isn't recalling this transmission. Are they waiting for deaths to be reported like Chrysler? This is ridiculous. If they know it's a problem, why wait? Whenever you put the car in gear, it stalls for a few seconds then it gives a hard jolt. That can't be safe. I understand saving money, but at the risk of lives? How can you sleep at night knowing this is a problem that can cause someone danger or even their lives. I wonder how many of them would drive the 2006 Ford Explorer on a road trip.

Welcome to the Forum jncrowe12.:wave:
As indicated, your thread has been merged with this one found using the Forum's 'Search' function. You start off by saying you bought the vehicle in 2010 but your profile shows it is a 2014????:dunno:
To my knowledge this 'jolt' is in no way a 'safety' issue and therefore does not fall into the 'recall' category. There is a TSB that was released to address the issue with the 2011 models. If you are not getting any where with the dealer, I suggest you send a private message to FordService to see if they can assist. You can use this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?conversations/add&to=FordService
Be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.
Good luck.

Peter

i had this TSB perform by my dealer last year, but claim that there is no available higher/new
  • Calibration files for my EX 2011 XLT fwd :(

Newbie and first post so bear with me! ;)

I bought a 2011 Explorer Limited from dealer in fall of 2011 that currently has 46,000 miles. Besides the 3 visits and 2 replacements of my screen module, the car overall has been good. (passenger mirror light went out too and the bulb isnt replaceable, and the windshield trim rattles on the passenger side-- But I was NOT going to pay the $200/$450 to solve those "issues"

I went to the dealership in May '15 to have the transmission issue looked at. I was experiencing both the circumstances discribed in this thread. Both a delayed/sluggish acceleration, and "red light then turns green so i go back to gas and feel a "jolt' like the gear gets slammed". On May of '15 FORD SERVICE performed and I paid for TSB 13-03-18, but given the older vehicle construction date, can anyone answer why they would not have performed TSB 11-12-10?!

I clearly want to avoid a $3,000 transmission replacement but at the same time, dont want to pay $135 for them to "look" at it AGAIN and then the estimated 9.1 hours the TSB 11-12-10 estimates.

I did confirm my model has the MERCON LV dipstick, which makes the model eligable for TSB 11-12-10.

I bought this car with the hopes of driving it for a decade without major repairs, and now I am starting to get nervous based on the continued transmission issues.

Any guidance, assistance, recommendations would be great! Appreicate all the help!

Welcome to the Forum KGDIII.:wave:
Was your Explorer built before 4/15/11? TSB 11-12-10 seems to have been superseded twice before 13-03-18 came out.
BTW, the bulbs in the visors are replaceable. See your Owner's Manual for part number.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum KGDIII.:wave:
Was your Explorer built before 4/15/11? TSB 11-12-10 seems to have been superseded twice before 13-03-18 came out.
BTW, the bulbs in the visors are replaceable. See your Owner's Manual for part number.

Peter
Hi peter-
Thanks for the quick response. It appears my explorer was completed 6/23/11. How can i find where a TSB has been suspended?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi peter-
Thanks for the quick response. It appears my explorer was completed 6/23/11. How can i find where a TSB has been suspended?
It is likely because of your build date that they did TSB 13-03-18. The other TSB was for vehicles built before 4-15-11.
Did you mean 'suspended' or 'superseded'? I don't know if a TSB is ever suspended. If you meant superseded, there is a thread on TSB's in the "List of Useful Threads" at the beginning of this 'Discussion' sub forum. Note: that thread is not to be taken as up-to-date as we are only adding to it when we find out about a TSB.

Peter

Back