2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue | Page 40 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

That's crazy, I got an appointment this morning for Wednesday the 6th.
It all depends on how busy certain dealers are and the number of customers they have although Sept. 9th does sound a little excessive in regards to waiting time. It is also possible that some of the mechanics have holidays scheduled. There are many things that can affect booking times.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Realize this recall doesn't fix the underlying problem with the steering rack (ribbon cable wear / pin misalignment). It's a software patch to prevent the system from disabling itself if it detects a problem. The possibility still is there for a failure, and a $2,000 repair out of warranty. Ford is not exactly stepping up to the plate on this one.
I think everyone on here needs to realize that. I had mine repaired a couple months ago prior to the recall and the parts in steering box were shot. Luckily I had warranty because it was an $1800 repair. The software was repaired also.

I got the recall done on our ex. We never have had a problem with the steering, so the tech found no fault codes, based on that, they simply reprogrammed the software. They told me that if a error code was found, they would have replaced out the steering gear.

Beware! I got mine " fixed" the first week of the recall and it just failed AGAIN!!!! I am terrified! Now where am I supposed to turn for help?

If you haven't done so before, send a PM to Crystal (FordService) the Ford rep that monitors this sub forum using this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.

Peter

Beware! I got mine " fixed" the first week of the recall and it just failed AGAIN!!!! I am terrified! Now where am I supposed to turn for help?

Hi Wild Valley,

Definitely get in touch with me via PM as Peter suggested; I want to see what I can do to assist. Be sure to include all of the information that he listed: your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and preferred servicing dealership. I'll keep an eye out for your message.

Crystal

Power steering continues to fail even after recall fix

Hi Wild Valley,

Definitely get in touch with me via PM as Peter suggested; I want to see what I can do to assist. Be sure to include all of the information that he listed: your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and preferred servicing dealership. I'll keep an eye out for your message.

Crystal

Thanks, Crystal. I just sent you a PM. However, when I have done that in the past and received a case number, the dealership didn't really seem to care, so it didn't help me at all. I really need to know that Ford acknowledges that the recall fix is not working and what they will do to fix it immediately. This is very serious.

This just happened to me over Labor Day weekend. Was pulling a 2500 lb. trailer and got the warning lights for power steering and lost my advance trac as well as turn signals. Got it to a dealer the next morning and they say it's a power steering gear. I will be picking it up this weekend and we will see if it solves the problem. This is the 5th time in 2 years it's been in the shop. Ridiculous.

Power steering rack

I recently took my 2011 Ex in as per recall for power steering. I experienced power steering light, advance trac and terrain management faults and lost power steering all together. Took it in and they reprogrammed. The next day the Power steering light comes back on. Took it back in now waiting since 9-12-14 for new power steering rack. The dealer wants to charge me warranty deductible and alignment cost. Isn't this part of the recall? Or is it just the programming issue recall issue. No loaner, no free rental... WTH Ford!

You should absolutely NOT pay for that. It means that when you took your vehicle in for the recall, the dealership was - allegedly - lazy and/or cheap and only did a software fix, but that does not fix it. If you still have the failure after the fix (like I did), then they should replace the power steering rack. I think Ford has - allegedly - realized that the software fix doesn't work. You need to push them on this, and also report to the NHTSA that their fix doesn't work. How many other people will go through the same thing?!?

I recently took my 2011 Ex in as per recall for power steering. I experienced power steering light, advance trac and terrain management faults and lost power steering all together. Took it in and they reprogrammed. The next day the Power steering light comes back on. Took it back in now waiting since 9-12-14 for new power steering rack...

How many miles are on your Explorer, On The Bcyde? I'd like to look into this further.

Crystal

Crystal, I have about 58K on my Ex. I actually just picked up my vehicle last night and ended up paying the deductible. I needed car back to get around. If the steering rack is the issue. I definitely want my money or some type of credit. Seems like Ford wanted to cut cost claiming the recall is a programming issue vs. An expensive steering rack.

Crystal, I have about 58K on my Ex...

Thanks for following up, On The Bcyde. Send me your information in a PM and I'll see how I can help. Please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Power Steering lost while driving

Lost power steering while driving and the steering wheel locked right up. couldn't even pull over. Good thing we were comming to a stop and didn't have to turn to avoid anything. We already had it in for the recall in August, but whatever they did, either didn't fix this issue or made it worse.

Called the dealer and they recommended that I dont drive it and should have it towed in - at my expense. They said if the recall didnt fix it then it must be something else. With 55K miles and warranty expired, this is going to be an expensive fix.

Maybe I should just let it ride and ignore it like Ford has been doing and trust their luck that I wont get in any injury accident. Let the lawyers hash it out.

Not sure that you can say Ford has ignored it. There is a TSB and recall on the issue. Perhaps your current problem is a different one. All others who have had this problem still had functional steering. From what I gather from your post, you didn't. The steering mechanism locked up and did not allow for any steering at all. If that is so, I believe this is the first post of that nature that I recall reading.

Peter

...They said if the recall didnt fix it then it must be something else. With 55K miles and warranty expired, this is going to be an expensive fix..

Did you decide to have your Explorer towed to the dealership, Ott23? Once you've had this diagnosed I'll be able to look into some ways to help.

Crystal

As I posted in March of 2014:

To those of you who think that it is only "power assist" that fails and that you can still steer the car with some extra effort, I hope you never experience the terror of having the wheel jerked out of your hands and the car going the direction it chooses. We was very lucky that all of our failures were at low speed, and we were able to stop the car safely.

One can play the semantics game all you want, but in all of the failures before Ford bought back my car, the wheel jerked out of our hands and locked in the direction it wanted to go. Maybe the Hulk could have done something about it but neither I or my husband had any control of the car. It is the same behavior of the steering rack issue and not some other mystery. If you have not had it happen, you cannot imagine the fear that follows.

I have the utmost of sympathy for each of you that have had to continue driving the car while you wonder if you or your family are going to lose control again. I well remember driving the car at 5mph on side streets for 15 miles to the dealership in fear that it would go out again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow!! Just had the thrill of steering locking up. Was in a parking lot at the time. I couldn't even begin to 'muscle' the steering. Turning the Explorer off and restarting brought it back to a functional state. Dash display showed the "Power Steering Fault". Called local dealer and they agreed to take it at 7:00 am Monday morn, 12-22-14. Surprised this hasn't happened at speed with someone and no resulting major damage or deaths. I can see it happening on a curve in my dreams now.

Back