Truck Haven Hills, CA in October 25 - 26 | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Truck Haven Hills, CA in October 25 - 26

Alright, so now that I'm dedicated to coming out one of these trips, it's time to start my wishlist. My baby is stock right now, so keeping in moderation and mind that it's a 4,000 mile round trip:burnout:, what "add-ons" best suit truck haven, or what do you guys think would make it more fun in general? I've lurked plenty, so I know there's a laundry list of things I "could" do, but if you had to pick just a couple, what would they be? :scratch::sawzall:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Alright, so now that I'm dedicated to coming out one of these trips, it's time to start my wishlist. My baby is stock right now, so keeping in moderation and mind that it's a 4,000 mile round trip:burnout:, what "add-ons" best suit truck haven, or what do you guys think would make it more fun in general? I've lurked plenty, so I know there's a laundry list of things I "could" do, but if you had to pick just a couple, what would they be? :scratch::sawzall:

You will have a ton of fun in stock form out there. Lockers or at least one locker would increase the fun factor quite a bit but it puts more stress on your driveline. At bare minimum I'd have some spare parts and tools to install them with. Things like hubs, u-joints, serpentine belt...these are small enough you can tuck away somewhere. From there it's up to you how carried away you want to get with spare parts.
Full sized spare and a dependable jack is essential. I had a sidewall split open on me on the way to Truckhaven. It was a good feeling to have the spare, a jack and the tools to get me going again.

I'd hate to tell you not to go to Truckhaven but if you are looking for the off road trip of a lifetime i'd plan on going on the Moab run. Look at past threads on here if you haven't already and you'll see why. It will also be closer for you and you'll never regret it.

I agree with DB, a locker or good LS would be the best mod. Sliders and a decent tire size would be my next thing but 31s would be good. Full size spare would be a must for me anyways. But if you like the crawling mtn style I would consider Moab just like DB said. Unless you came down for MLK and just wanted some warmth in the winter. HAHA

Unless you came down for MLK and just wanted some warmth in the winter. HAHA

After the last Minnesota winter? Yes please, SIGN ME UP! :D And thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll see what I can bang out sometime soon for mods.

MLK is far enough off to get a T.O. request in, which is really quite tempting... What's the weather like during that run? Similar to this one, or another animal completely?

I'm not certain, and I'm probably over thinking it, but the feeling I've gotten from Moab is they take it pretty seriously. I'll be honest and say I've had very little off-roading experience, more like ripping around in some plowed up cornfields and such, and the Truck Haven runs seem super laid back and inviting. Maybe I'm being extreme to drive 4,000 miles for some wheel time, but I think it would be awesome to finally plan a trip of my own that isn't just "going up north" or "going to the cabin". Plus, I've got family in San Diego should, God forbid, things go really south during the trip.:roll:

"typical" winter desert weather will have highs in the low 60's to mid 70's. Could be warmer, could be colder... That's just a generic rough average range. Lows will dip to freezing, probably high 20's at worst at night. Typically though, more like high 30's/low 40's. Again, obviously depends on current weather pattern and luck.

Some agressive tires and a locker in the rear would make for a pretty capable Truckhaven rig! Could always go more but those two things alone would make it so you could likely do just about every trail you would want. The terrain is like nothing else out there! Having been to northern Minnesota a bit... Definitely a different world then you're used to! LOL

Personally, I'd say it's an excellent excuse to get a winter weather break!

its cooler. This run was 90s during the day. MLK would be like maybe 60s-70s in the day and could get down to 30s at night.

Didn't see your post when I typed mine. haha atleast we match.

LOL, funny, was thinking the exact same thing! Must be truth!

Put it this way, it will be warmer than Minnesota in Jan. and you won't be shoveling snow:p:

Beautiful sunsets there.

DSCN0247_zpsd7c02dee.jpg

And a "huh'? and blurry pic of the CB light glow on the night run

DSCN0251_zps16a38500.jpg

After the last Minnesota winter? Yes please, SIGN ME UP! :D And thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll see what I can bang out sometime soon for mods.

MLK is far enough off to get a T.O. request in, which is really quite tempting... What's the weather like during that run? Similar to this one, or another animal completely?

I'm not certain, and I'm probably over thinking it, but the feeling I've gotten from Moab is they take it pretty seriously. I'll be honest and say I've had very little off-roading experience, more like ripping around in some plowed up cornfields and such, and the Truck Haven runs seem super laid back and inviting. Maybe I'm being extreme to drive 4,000 miles for some wheel time, but I think it would be awesome to finally plan a trip of my own that isn't just "going up north" or "going to the cabin". Plus, I've got family in San Diego should, God forbid, things go really south during the trip.:roll:

Any run you decide to go on with the Explorer Forum group will be a good time for you. Newbies with stockish rigs are taken care of and helped out where needed. But, you might get the bug and be hooked for life.

Put it this way, it will be warmer than Minnesota in Jan. and you won't be shoveling snow:p:

I think nearly anywhere is warmer than Minnesota in January.

..Update from the photographer..

..The Editor is very interested but wants more..This is a very good sign but it also means it will be slightly delayed..

..Right now there are series championships ending, SEMA starting this week, and Baja launching next week which means we should know more just after Xmas.

Stay tuned as this updates..:popcorn:

Stuff I have to fix before I take the Explorer out again (and the RV):

Replace alternator (lifetime warranty so no biggie).

Need to replace the rear shock mounts sooner than later as one of the single sheer bolts is bent.

Need to pull the leaf springs anyway to replace a broken guide bolt (noticed while sitting around with Rick on Monday).

This morning I noticed the RR outer dual tire is flat on the RV. I have a spare I pulled off the front when I replaced them last year that still had very good tread so I just need to find someone to dismount/mount/balance.

RV fridge was not working very well so I need to get it serviced before it is used again.

RV toilet flusher pedal gets stuck occasionally (seems like only with the wife;)), so I need to become a RV toilet repairman.

..So what was th issue with the tranny? :scratch:

Stuff I have to fix before I take the Explorer out again (and the RV):

Replace alternator (lifetime warranty so no biggie).

Need to replace the rear shock mounts sooner than later as one of the single sheer bolts is bent.

Need to pull the leaf springs anyway to replace a broken guide bolt (noticed while sitting around with Rick on Monday).

This morning I noticed the RR outer dual tire is flat on the RV. I have a spare I pulled off the front when I replaced them last year that still had very good tread so I just need to find someone to dismount/mount/balance.

RV fridge was not working very well so I need to get it serviced before it is used again.

RV toilet flusher pedal gets stuck occasionally (seems like only with the wife;)), so I need to become a RV toilet repairman.

Check your exhaust vent on the fridge, they get clogged and will stop your fridge from working, get an air hose and blow that puppy clean!

Check your exhaust vent on the fridge, they get clogged and will stop your fridge from working, get an air hose and blow that puppy clean!

Did that a few trips ago, vent was fine. It has gotten progressively worse over the past two years. The flame used to be very small and quiet. Now its bigger and louder. Its almost like the nozzle is blown out.

Thank you for the advice guys, I'll definitely keep it in mind. I've been looking into Moab a bit, and it honestly looks just as fun as this does. I'll have to decide if the excuse of "warmer weather" ;) (and visiting family) warrants the extra miles, or if the crawling at Moab is too tempting to resist. Either way, I think I'll have a blast running around with some fellow Explorers! :D Looks like it's time to start collecting parts... :bounce:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I took my Explorer out to Truckhaven for the first time with nothing but AT tires and enthusiasm and had a ball.

With my Explorer back to life I should be able to make it to the MLK run and might be bringing a buddy of mine out with his new Frontier. Hoping to bring my gf out with me to this run as well. She had a blast last time we did Main Divide Rd with Tbars and Ritsui.

Starting to put together a list of things I wanna throw on the Ex as precautions or upgrades

Big one is a Tcase skid plate. Hopefully new tires and a power inverter will make its way onto that list as well.

Back