Debut of 2016 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Debut of 2016 Explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford will introduce updated Explorer SUV at Los Angeles Auto Show

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-ford-new-explorer-la-auto-show-20141029-story.html

Ford Motor Co. will debut an updated version of its Explorer sport-utility vehicle at the Los Angeles Auto Show in November.

The refreshed SUV will go on sale next year as a 2016 model.

The automaker isn’t providing many details except to say the Explorer will get new styling and additional driver-assist technology. Car companies are starting to equip vehicles with high technology safety systems that use sensors to prevent front-end collisions, alert drivers to hazards when backing up and keep drivers from drifting out of their lanes.

Ford is on track to sell more than 200,000 Explorers in the U.S. this year, the most since 2005, during the boom years for the model. The Dearborn, Mich., automaker has sold nearly 7 million since it debuted in 1990 and cemented the SUV segment in the consumer market.

The model is the best-selling midsize SUV but faces increasing competition from the Jeep Grand Cherokee, Toyota Highlander and Honda Pilot. Volkswagen, Chevrolet and Chrysler all plan new models for the same segment in the coming years, making the competition even tougher, said Stephanie Brinley, an analyst for IHS Automotive.

The Explorer, which seats seven, slots into a Ford SUV lineup that includes the massive Expedition, the five-seat Edge and compact Escape.

The update builds on what is Ford’s fifth-generation Explorer. The current model was introduced four years ago and marked a change from the boxy, traditional SUV look built onto a truck frame to the current crossover style of SUV, which uses the same unibody construction process employed in building passenger cars.

The current model could use some improvements, said Jake Fisher, the automotive test director for Consumer Reports.

The Explorer lags rivals in both visibility from inside the cabin and lacks the “roominess’ of other mid-sized SUVs, he said.

Fisher also said that Ford needs to upgrade both the Explorer’s powertrain and fuel economy.

Ford is bullish on the sport-utility market. The automaker said its utility vehicles accounted for 23% of the brand’s global sales in 2013, up from 17%. By the end of the decade, Ford projects utility vehicles will make up 29% of its global sales.

When Ford Philippines introduced the all-new Escape and a variant of the Explorer this week, we thought the big story of the night would be the American carmaker’s compact SUV. We had certainly waited long enough for it. But we did a double take when the new Explorer Sport's power figures were flashed on the event screen.

The award-winning EcoBoost technology now makes it to Ford’s popular SUV in V6 form, and with twin turbos, the 3.5-liter mill generates 365hp and 475Nm. That is a monumental amount of power. The outgoing 3.5-liter Explorer Limited with no turbocharging had 75 less hp, and 129 less Nm. Its nearest competitor, the Dodge Durango, actually has a bigger engine (3.6-liter V6), but makes only 290hp and 352Nm, not to mention costing a lot more.

Pardon us for gushing about the numbers--it's a car-guy thing. To complement all the added power, Ford fitted its new Explorer with sport-tuned springs and suspension. Power-adjustable pedals and speed controls make it easier to drive.

On the outside, the Explorer Sport is distinguished by macho 20-inch aluminum wheels and a blacked-out three-layer grille.

To help justify buying this SUV to the wife, point out that the Explorer Sport’s cabin is as comfortable as ever. There are PowerFold third-row seats, dual LCD screens with DVD playback mounted in the front headrests, 12-speaker Sony audio system, and the Ford SYNC control system.

SYNC replaces several traditional buttons in a vehicle, and controls the Explorer Sport’s multimedia and climate settings through simple clicks, voice command or touchscreen taps. But since it’s powered by Microsoft, it’s best to adjust your expectations of its real-world usability.

The Ford Explorer Sport with EcoBoost will be available at Ford dealers nationwide next month, and will sell for P2,799,000. The colors to choose from are Tuxedo Black, White Platinum and Magnetic Metallic. We have to say the white looks rather stunning.

We hope Christmas comes early. We hope we get to drive this powerful SUV soon.

The Sport with its 365 HP Ecoboost has been available as described above since the 2013 model year. That info seems to be a couple years late.
I have the same engine in my MKT.

Peter

Ewwwww are those reflector housings?!?!?! EWWWWWWWW

If you're referring to the picture linked in post #1 , I believe that is the current Explorer, not the 2016.

Peter

Based from the pictures, FORD finally listened to the people who noticed that the fog lamps for 2010-2015 model sit a little too low for good visibility. I don't see projector style headlamps so the Limited version might have a different design cue.

From reports/posts I've read it seems the Explorer will have LED headlights. Not sure if that applies to all models or not.

Peter

Edge got LED headlights, why not Ex? Keep fingers crossed! The only thing is that Ford may postpone it for next generation?!

offtop, but...
Looked on the Edge images available on Ford website... Apparently, there will be an Edge Sport with rectangular exhaust and modified bumpers! I guess that is where 2.7l Ecoboost comes to action!

offtop, but...
Looked on the Edge images available on Ford website... Apparently, there will be an Edge Sport with rectangular exhaust and modified bumpers! I guess that is where 2.7l Ecoboost comes to action!

2.7L Ecoboost should be the base engine of EX and not 2.0L Ecoboost I think. 2.0L Ecoboost feels sluggish for the weight of the EX and probably will be overworked thus faster wear and tear.

2.7L Ecoboost should be the base engine of EX and not 2.0L Ecoboost I think. 2.0L Ecoboost feels sluggish for the weight of the EX and probably will be overworked thus faster wear and tear.

Agree that 2.0l Ecoboost seems to be not enough for Ex, but 2.5l would already be good, not sure about 2.3

Edge got LED headlights, why not Ex? Keep fingers crossed! The only thing is that Ford may postpone it for next generation?!

Where did you hear the Edge will get LED headlights? Standard halogen with HID optional on the Titanium and Sport. The '16 Explorer will get LED headlights across the board.

Sure hope they fix the dreaded leaky roof. I've been making bi weekly payments on my Explorer and I haven't had it for over a month. :(. Sure hope this is the last time they have to bring it in to fix it.

Sure hope they fix the dreaded leaky roof. I've been making bi weekly payments on my Explorer and I haven't had it for over a month. :(. Sure hope this is the last time they have to bring it in to fix it.

Looks like they considered the roof leak;
rail assembly is different,
rails look to be on par with other brands-low, minimal structure up on top, sealed all along the rail line on roof.

Ill bet the new mount points for the rails are not the same junk as in all prior 5th gen models, and likely the channel under the rail assembly isnt a gutter-if it is I bet its redesigned with the new rail system.

Where did you hear the Edge will get LED headlights? Standard halogen with HID optional on the Titanium and Sport. The '16 Explorer will get LED headlights across the board.

I've read on several sources that 2015 Edge will come with LED headlights like new Mondeo (Fusion) in Europe.

Caption: "The Edge has fared well in safety tests, and this year it adds a new airbag mounted in the glovebox frame, to better protect passenger knees. Bluetooth is standard across the board, while a rearview camera is standard on most models. Available safety features include LED headlamps, forward-collision warnings, parking assist with perpendicular parking now factored in, and rear-seat inflatable seat belts. A new front- and rear-camera system and parking sensors should make this the easiest Edge to park, ever."

Full text: http://www.thecarconnection.com/overview/ford_edge_2015

ill take my 2nd gen 5.0 AWD EB over these wannabe trucks anyday

I've read on several sources that 2015 Edge will come with LED headlights like new Mondeo (Fusion) in Europe.

Caption: "The Edge has fared well in safety tests, and this year it adds a new airbag mounted in the glovebox frame, to better protect passenger knees. Bluetooth is standard across the board, while a rearview camera is standard on most models. Available safety features include LED headlamps, forward-collision warnings, parking assist with perpendicular parking now factored in, and rear-seat inflatable seat belts. A new front- and rear-camera system and parking sensors should make this the easiest Edge to park, ever."
Usually when it says "Available safety features" it indicates that the features are optional, not standard. As with the Limited built for Canada, HID headlamps are 'Standard' whereas for the U.S. market they are 'Available' or optional as part of a package.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ill take my 2nd gen 5.0 AWD EB over these wannabe trucks anyday

+1

I've test driven the newer Sport every year . . . . it just feels like a momma's minivan to me.

To those of you who like it - I look at you and think you're a momma. :salute:

Back