3rd row electric seat back won't elevate. | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd row electric seat back won't elevate.

Second one to go

Just today the driver side 3rd row seat latch failed without any warning signs. I had replaced the passenger side almost two years ago...

Luckily this is quite easy to replace based on my past experience on the passenger side seat. Just ordered the part and waiting it to arrive.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just as a follow-up to this, I just cut through the bracket with an angle grinder, and removed the gearing, motor, and worm drive. Not hard at all once the bracket was cut.

So I tried it free-floating. Like you can just push it up and down with your hand. I wouldn't think it is a safety issue because the seat belt is attached to the wall, not the seat.

But at any rate, I don't like it. Apparently when you crank the seat to folding position, the bottom section actually lowers down into the floor. Well when you try to sit in it now, it wants to lower from your weight, and makes the back try to close up on you. So you can sit in it. But its annoying that everytime you lean forward, or try to get in or out of it, it tries to close up on you.

So I think I am gong to put the worm drive back in and do the socket thing. Once I figure out how to drill through the socket. I think I need a crappier socket or better drill bit. :-\

I'm guessing that the manual-fold rear seats must do the same thing (bottom cushion slides down and back). So it must have a latching mechanism to hold it in the upright position. There may even be assist springs (?). If you could figure out a way to latch the seat(s) upright, you might not need to bother with the crank thing.

06 Limited, drivers side 3rd row seat stuck in the "up" position. Motor turns, gear is apparently stripped. I'm leaving for vacation in a couple of weeks and really don't want to spend the money to repair. I won't need the 3rd row on vacation necessarily so is there any way to release the seat easily so it will go down for luggage and then I can repair when I get home?

Just used the passenger side seat this weekend. Now it is also stuck in the "UP" position. It will move back and forth a couple of inches at the most. Ford should most definietly have recalled these. Over $500 in parts alone to have power seats? Ridiculous.

It looks like I need to buy parts locally here in Dubai. don't know how much it will cost me and Im not sure if it is available. Its a 2009 EB ford explorer.. does the procedure for Mountaineer apply too

It looks like I need to buy parts locally here in Dubai. don't know how much it will cost me and Im not sure if it is available. Its a 2009 EB ford explorer.. does the procedure for Mountaineer apply too

I imagine that they would be identical in that respect.

Can't you have a friend or relative buy them in the States and send them to you?

I imagine that they would be identical in that respect.

Can't you have a friend or relative buy them in the States and send them to you?

Tha's the problem I don't have anyone to buy it for me I wll try some local store here to get the parts and see if I can DIY.. its bit expensive here if you take it to FORD dealer I remember they are asking me $150 for replacing drive belt. and it only cost me $25 for the belt and 3mins to replace it.

Tha's the problem I don't have anyone to buy it for me I wll try some local store here to get the parts and see if I can DIY.. its bit expensive here if you take it to FORD dealer I remember they are asking me $150 for replacing drive belt. and it only cost me $25 for the belt and 3mins to replace it.

Don't know if this will help you?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/06-thru-10-...rd|Model:Explorer&hash=item27e925944a&vxp=mtr

The have left and right versions. I think ebay has some provisions to help sellers ship internationally.

This appears to be a common problem with the left side seat. I just spoke to my L/M dealer and they quoted me $250 for the replacement part. I have not seen anyone complain about the right side 3rd row seat motor breaking.

Until now!

The left (driver's side) still works on mine, it's the passenger side that sounds like it's stripped out.

Just expose motor, turn spiral pin with a wrench. Just did it in my '06.

3rd row seat motor

This appears to be a common problem with the left side seat. I just spoke to my L/M dealer and they quoted me $250 for the replacement part. I have not seen anyone complain about the right side 3rd row seat motor breaking.

Believe me, the right side breaks too, that is the case with mine. Is there ANY way the gears can be fixed? even jury rigged?

After not raising the seats for the last two years, I tried to do so today and the drivers side moved a half-inch then stopped. Tried it several times. Then it stripped the gear I guess because now the motor turns but no movement. Must be a binding in the mechanism that prevents it from moving in the first place, then resulting in stripped gears.
Thanks to all the previous posters for the pictures and the how-to. Should make this a fairly easy fix.

I know this is an old thread but I didn't see anyone share how to lock the seats upright yet so I wanted to share my experience. Both motors on my rear seats went out years ago. I cut the worm drives with a sawzall to make them manual like many have. To lock them upright I use a ratchet strap looped through one or both headrests and hook them to the D rings at the back of the cargo area. Takes only a few seconds to switch from down to up or vice versa and they don't budge when they're up. And i can use either seat or both. I'm lucky to have black interior so I have a black strap that blends right in.

I know this is an old thread but I didn't see anyone share how to lock the seats upright yet so I wanted to share my experience. Both motors on my rear seats went out years ago. I cut the worm drives with a sawzall to make them manual like many have. To lock them upright I use a ratchet strap looped through one or both headrests and hook them to the D rings at the back of the cargo area. Takes only a few seconds to switch from down to up or vice versa and they don't budge when they're up. And i can use either seat or both. I'm lucky to have black interior so I have a black strap that blends right in.

Good for you! The whole mechanism is unnecessarily complicated. A simple handle and latch, like the middle row seats, would be sufficient. I just saw the fifth generation third row solution the other day. Pull on a few straps in a particular order, and it's done!

Sparrow - Good, cheap, simple solution. And it's good to keep some ratchet straps around anyway.
Ornery - Agreed. If given a choice, I'd gladly trade my power 3rd row seats, AND the power running boards for manual/fixed units.

I removed motor and broken gears on my left 3rd row seat. Anybody found a smart way to manually actuate the seat?

I removed motor and broken gears on my left 3rd row seat. Anybody found a smart way to manually actuate the seat?

I think the solutions using hex-nut, socket and ratchet are pretty simple manual ways to do the job. That's my "backup" plan. First I want to see if I can adapt a sturdier gear motor to replace the prone-to-failure ford gears. If anyone has done that it would be nice to know about.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello, everyone. This is my first post on the forum, and I don't mean to revive an old thread, but, I noticed, as I was reading through it that some were asking for a "Manual Conversion" for this assembly.

I have a simple manual conversion mod, and I figured it might be useful to someone else who doesn't want to spend the $225 - $300 for the replacement part.

As you can see in the picture, I cut off the mount for the gear box, and removed (with some brute force) the gearbox itself from the assembly. (Basically, I used a reciprocating saw to make slices throughout the plastic gearbox and then busted it out with a screwdriver and hammer.) This leaves about 2 inches of shaft open for us to work with.

20130510130902.jpg

Then, I used a spare 1/4" drive socket and drilled holes through it. (I don't remember the exact size of the socket that I used) Then I drilled a hole through the end of the shaft, and fastened the socket over the shaft with a cotter pin.

20130510130823.jpg

Now, I just use a 3/8" drive speeder handle, with a 3/8" - 1/4" reducer to spin the shaft and raise and lower the seat. ($6 at harbor freight) I can actually raise and lower the seat about the same speed as the original motor does it. And, there is no need for any locking mechanism to keep the seat up or down. It stays in place with friction, just like it does with the motor attached.

20130510130924.jpg

I know this isn't a step by step guide on how to do this, but the fix is simple enough that you really shouldn't need one. If you have any specific questions on any of it, feel free to ask. You still have to take the entire seat apart to do this mod. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to maneuver the drill in the right spot to drill the hole through the shaft.

Anyway, I didn't see anyone else provide a permanent manual solution, so I figured I would share what I did. I could make a video of the functionality if anyone is interested. I found this thread by googling a fix for the seat not moving, so hopefully someone else will find this useful.

I would really be interested in seeing your video if ever you got to make it. Any pictures would be good too. Thanks

Back