Debadged and Grayed Out XLT 2012 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Debadged and Grayed Out XLT 2012

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Finally decided to fully debadge the rears too. :)

20140822_112746_resized_zps9005baf3.jpg

20140822_112801_resized_zpsd7ff88c6.jpg

Awwww ya beat me LOL. Great job!

I'll be doin' the same before the year's end..... concurrently with the mirrors :D

Awwww ya beat me LOL. Great job!

I'll be doin' the same before the year's end..... concurrently with the mirrors :D

did some traveling and used that opportunity to leave my car in the garage to have this done.

What's your plan with your mirrors?

did some traveling and used that opportunity to leave my car in the garage to have this done.

What's your plan with your mirrors?

De-"Explorer" the mirrors--just like we've done on the rear trim. I did the filling and smoothing work on rear lamp shield trim a month ago and have it sitting and waiting.

I got an extra pair of OEM mirrors for $30.00 (from a totaled Ex) and disassembled those (which was a PITA). Those are waiting as well.

After the body work on the rear, everything (body, rear shield, and mirror) will be painted all in one "session."

Now, what in the heck am I gonna do with these black Ford badges I spent a hefty coin on??

De-"Explorer" the mirrors--just like we've done on the rear trim. I did the filling and smoothing work on rear lamp shield trim a month ago and have it sitting and waiting.

I got an extra pair of OEM mirrors for $30.00 (from a totaled Ex) and disassembled those (which was a PITA). Those are waiting as well.

After the body work on the rear, everything (body, rear shield, and mirror) will be painted all in one "session."

Now, what in the heck am I gonna do with these black Ford badges I spent a hefty coin on??

Cant wait to see the turnout of your project :) as for the badges, you could probably sell them on ebay.

Cant wait to see the turnout of your project :) as for the badges, you could probably sell them on ebay.

Same here, but I'm just coasting along and not rushing things. I find it therapeutic (almost) to do some of the mods.

After I've completed the body mods, I'll be tackling some of the electrical/lighting mods--too many to choose from, but again, no rush.

Once all is done, I'll post pics.

Wow, you did a great job. Your Ex looks amazing. I'm sure it keeps people guessing too. LOL

Somebody answer me this. Once you have done all this debadging and painting, what happens when you go to sell the car? I would think it would certainly devalue the vehicle. Unless there is a small contingent of folks wanting something like this, I think most folks would shy away from a purchase like this.

I'm thinking resale or trade-in value.

Not sure about resale, would think someone would appreciate the work and quality involved in removing them.

That is one of the Finest looking new Explorers I have ever seen. Awesome work!

Somebody answer me this. Once you have done all this debadging and painting, what happens when you go to sell the car? I would think it would certainly devalue the vehicle. Unless there is a small contingent of folks wanting something like this, I think most folks would shy away from a purchase like this.

I'm thinking resale or trade-in value.

Hi Halwg, I have debadged my previous cars and have sold them at a better price than the same year model car due to the added extras (body kits, interior kits, better audio, and a lot more) At the end of the day, what matters is that my ex is 100% being seviced and taken care of by the Ford service centre here, and my full warranty for the vehicle is not affected.

For me thats what matters, the next buyer will surely see that this car has been well taken care of.

By the way, if you're already thinking of resale and trade in now with your new car, my advise is to keep it stock and stay away from modifications.

mine is a 2012 and i am enjoying it for myself and my liking! Selling it has not crossed my mind yet.

After waiting for so long to wear off my stock tires, I decided to stop waiting and go ahead with upgrading my wheels.
After a lot of reading thru this helpful forum, I was thinking of going from 18 (stock rims) to 22 aftermarket wheels because the photos here with 22 rims looks so nice and aggressive, and that was the look I was looking for.

But I went with 20 X 9 rims and 265/50/20 tires because I was not sure if I would like or enjoy the roughness of the ride if I went with 22's. And I must say that I am happy with my choice as I was able to get the aggressive sporty look and keep the ride quality as close to if not the same as stock.

Here are some photos:

This is the rims I chose unbranded replica of American Wheels (Dodge srt8 rims)
20140929_104109_resized_zps43e28dcf.jpg

Fitted in:
DSC_4920_zps8fa180ce.jpg

DSC_4919_zps584f8b00.jpg

DSC_4917_zps3d483dda.jpg

DSC_4911_zpse903665a.jpg

How did you get the eyeliner trim around the headlights?

What did you use to tint the taillights?

How did you get the eyeliner trim around the headlights?

Those are dark smoke vinyl film for the amber lens tint and gloss black vinyl 3/4 inch strip stickers for the headlight contours

What did you use to tint the taillights?

Used VHT niteshades and gloss paint for the tail lights.

Nicely done bro! I've been wanting to paint my wheels in gun metal color too.

Thank you so much! I love the way it looks and your car is nicely done!

Complete debadging & smoothing of front grill and back... very nicely done.

Mind me asking what that cost to do? I have no clue what body work like that runs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Complete debadging & smoothing of front grill and back... very nicely done.

Mind me asking what that cost to do? I have no clue what body work like that runs.

Hi! do to all the job (body color painting of the lower body, side mirrors, and door handles, modification and painting of front grill/back trim/back logo, painting of the stock rims) cost me only $600 here in Dubai, but it took almost 2 weeks to have it done. not sure how this kind of work will cost there in your area though.

Back