Debut of 2016 Explorer | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Debut of 2016 Explorer

The "Expanded Metal"-look grill is awful.

No need to replace my '13

Seems like Ford got their hands on some discount prison barb wire and chicken wire recently.

I do like the interior improvements as well as the new exhaust tips. They seem to also have changed the roof rails as well. They don't stand out as much anymore.

Wheels are a little transformer-like for me.

Chairs look incredibly soft, like that of an Escalade.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmmm...

"Interior changes help enhance quietness in the cabin. There are new door seals, and an enhanced sound package includes engine subframe mounts specially tuned to reduce vibration, as well as a specially tuned exhaust for the 2.3-liter EcoBoost engine. Acoustic glass is used on the windshield and front doors on XLT and higher trim levels."

Are these answers to the problems many of us faced with our EX? Door seals, exhaust, and windshield? Just a thought...

Can't say I am a fan at all. Much prefer the look of the current years front and rear ends. Those fog light cutouts are crazy - looks too "toy car" to me. I do like that they added a front cam as well as the kick activated rear hatch though it still appears to be super slow up and down.

Hopefully the SPORT is packaged a bit better this go round with options available on Limited/Plat also optional on Sports.

Looks like no powertrain enhancements on the sport side - hopefully they at least provide a refined tune offering more power and torque, maybe we'll find out tomorrow?

All and all, nothing to be envious about here, at least thus far. Maybe if they announce a 400+HP sport tomorrow, I will change my mind a bit - but that front bumper...iiick

Hopefully the SPORT is packaged a bit better this go round with options available on Limited/Plat also optional on Sports.

You realize they aren't going to do this, because to offer those options across the line, does not keep each model unique. Anyone could order a lower model and get everything offered on the top models. Not gonna happen!

BTW, I'm probably one of the few people on this forum that drives the "lowly" XLT. I like the Explorer, but I'm not going to pay $50,000+ for a Ford!

When will Ford start accepting orders and when will the vehicle actually be available?

When will Ford start accepting orders and when will the vehicle actually be available?
According to the current schedule, the last date to order a 2015 is January 30, 2015. Initial order acceptance for the 2016 model will begin on November 19th, 2014. Production scheduling will begin on March 12th with production start up to begin on April 20th. Keep in mind these dates are all subject to change. Production of the 2015 did not begin until June 2nd, 2014.
I'm guessing that they will likely start appearing in showrooms sometime in June.

Peter

.........Hopefully the SPORT is packaged a bit better this go round with options available on Limited/Plat also optional on Sports......
As Halwg pointed out it, offering all the options across the models would not be a sensible thing to do, looking at it from Ford's end. I took a quick glance at the Order Guide and see that the Sport still does not have the Rain Sensing or Active Cruise Control with Brake Support options along with a few others. I find the ACC to be a very useful feature that I used almost daily. Think I'll start saving for the Platinum.

Peter

As Halwg pointed out it, offering all the options across the models would not be a sensible thing to do, looking at it from Ford's end. I took a quick glance at the Order Guide and see that the Sport still does not have the Rain Sensing or Active Cruise Control with Brake Support options along with a few others. I find the ACC to be a very useful feature that I used almost daily. Think I'll start saving for the Platinum.

Peter

Yea, agreed, the way manufactures force you to choose 1 thing over the other in packaging is somewhat upsetting but not specific to just Ford. It does appear from the order guide that ACC is still an option at least but still no lane keep assist.

I wonder how difficult or if even possible it would be to integrate '16 the front cam unit and MFT system into current model cars. It appears you can switch to the front view while driving in likely a more seamless way than using the lockpick workaround...Not sure where the "brains" MFT live and if simply swapping out said brains and wiring in the cam unit would work or if its more to it than that.

However it works out, good luck to whoever gets

The APIM (Accessory Protocol Interface Module) is the 'brains' of the MFT system.

Peter

Has anyone heard if the police version will follow the new design or stick with the most recent version? Sorry if i missed it if it was already discussed.

Yea, agreed, the way manufactures force you to choose 1 thing over the other in packaging is somewhat upsetting but not specific to just Ford. It does appear from the order guide that ACC is still an option at least but still no lane keep assist.

I wonder how difficult or if even possible it would be to integrate '16 the front cam unit and MFT system into current model cars. It appears you can switch to the front view while driving in likely a more seamless way than using the lockpick workaround...Not sure where the "brains" MFT live and if simply swapping out said brains and wiring in the cam unit would work or if its more to it than that.

However it works out, good luck to whoever gets

There is no $imple remedy to work around MFT and the APIM and integrate a front camera.

BM

If any of you folks are old enough to remember, back in the 60's & 70's you would go to the dealer to order a car, you would pick the model and then they would give you a book of all the options. You could go through the book and pick all of the things you wanted. There were basically no "packages" offered back then. The first two cars I bought were optioned this way.

In effect, you could build yourself a custom car. I'm sure that got too expensive, and by the late 70's, I wasn't able to do that anymore. But it was nice to be able to do that.

In the 60's and 70's all my vehicles were used cars. First one was a 1961 Rambler Classic, standard shift. :D

Peter

I'm sorry but the headlights are just ugly, I love the current one which had details like the word "explorer" inside of it. These are lazy and ugly and don't do it for me at all.

Agree. The front of the previous looks better but the details of the interior are a beast...

I have no issues with the headlights at all. It's all part of why some people buy one thing and others buy something else. You can't please everyone so the manufacturers just hope they can please enough to sell a vehicle and make a profit. I have no doubt the Explorer will continue to be a very big success story for Ford. Many also didn't like the 5th gen models when they came out either. I think the days of the sealed beam are coming to an end.;)
The thing I can really do without is the wire mesh look on the lower facia.

Peter

Attachments

• PB200308_001.JPG
    PB200308_001.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 561

You realize they aren't going to do this, because to offer those options across the line, does not keep each model unique. Anyone could order a lower model and get everything offered on the top models. Not gonna happen!

BTW, I'm probably one of the few people on this forum that drives the "lowly" XLT. I like the Explorer, but I'm not going to pay $50,000+ for a Ford!

Having a lowly XLT isn't all that bad :D ....
]
20141106_110053_zps1850be0b.jpg
20141106_110108_zps0a30882b.jpg
20141112_153937_zps1b364c7a.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Loving the new front end over the current gen due to it looking more tough over the current one.

Back