Debut of 2016 Explorer | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Debut of 2016 Explorer

In my opinion either Sport or Platinum should've got more power. Like GM 3.6l turbocharged engine delivers about 420 ponies!!!

Would require a new tranny. Present tranny can only handle 365hp/350torq in order to last 150k+ miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In my opinion either Sport or Platinum should've got more power. Like GM 3.6l turbocharged engine delivers about 420 ponies!!!
I still haven't used all the ponies my Ecoboost has!

Peter

My initial reaction is that the current model looks better than the 16. To me, Ford has gotten lazy with their designs. Instead of using the Mustang and Explorer to lead an all new design, they instead followed the Fusion and Edge styling cues.

I love my 13 Sport, luckily my lease isn't up until 02/16. I may consider refinancing and keeping it unless the trim package on the 16-17 Sport looks badass. As of now, to me, it is boxy and clunky.

This (and the Mustang) are big steps backward in design.

Right now I'd prefer a Grand Cherokee or a Charger in terms of design and styling.

Disappointed....

Here's 1 more gripe: why did Ford "forget" to update the tail light design? Now you have an updated front end with an outdated rear end. The tail lights needed a refresh to better match the front headlights in my opinion.

The tail lights have been updated. They are not the same as the ones on the earlier models. How much the have changed is difficult to tell without seeing them in a working condition.

Peter

I see that the new Explorer 160 MPH speedometer brand, will you have unlimited speed control ?, the previous model has an electronic governor which regulates the speed to 110 MPH, the question is out of curiosity, I never passed 80 mph

To each his own. I for one am glad they didn't. Other may disagree. Just proves that no matter how hard you try, you'll never please everyone. :)

Peter

I think the new 2016 its awesome...now let remember that ford use to own land rover, so don't you think that all designs of the rovers were ford's and they can't through everything out right now there's more to come a good magician keeps its secrets in its hat....!

Would require a new tranny. Present tranny can only handle 365hp/350torq in order to last 150k+ miles.

disagree, F-150 delivers more ponies and torque having same tranny, moreover there is always reserve...

To each his own. I for one am glad they didn't. Other may disagree. Just proves that no matter how hard you try, you'll never please everyone. :)

Peter

+1
"You'll never please everyone" So true!

disagree, F-150 delivers more ponies and torque having same tranny, moreover there is always reserve...

The 3.5L Ecoboost V6 in the Explorer is mounted transversely for a FWD based setup. In the F-150 its mounted longitudinally. It's NOT the exact same powertrain setup in both vehicles.

No where near the same tranny...fwd bias vs rwd bias, awd vs 4wd, heavy towing vs light towing, major vehicle lb differences and load diff., transverse engine vs east/west, unibody vs full frame, etc,etc,

Has anyone heard if the police version will follow the new design or stick with the most recent version? Sorry if i missed it if it was already discussed.

Yes Police will copy retail, the 16 Interceptor is much easier to upfit.

I think the new 2016 its awesome...now let remember that ford use to own land rover, so don't you think that all designs of the rovers were ford's and they can't through everything out right now there's more to come a good magician keeps its secrets in its hat....!

So everyone agrees this is simply a refresh? When does the next generation come out?

It's a nice car, and a more comfortable ride than my last 4 Explorers, but I question the durability of this generation when used as a work truck as mine is. I haul a lot of equipment to job locations that require me to travel unpaved roads and in some cases, pipeline rights-of-way. The older Explorers were built "Ford Tough" and could handle it. This one I think is more "soccer mom" plush, which I doubt will be a good match for doing work.

The base model is probably more attuned to the work mode, but I usually go for the XLT because it has some features I want. Time will tell, this one is on a 3-year lease.

Probably right after you buy your next Explorer.:D

Peter

No where near the same tranny...fwd bias vs rwd bias, awd vs 4wd, heavy towing vs light towing, major vehicle lb differences and load diff., transverse engine vs east/west, unibody vs full frame, etc,etc,

well, yeah, I was mistaken, Explorer has 6F while F-150 has 6R transmission, but anyway, 6F transmission is developed with cooperation of GM, so essentially new GM 420hp rated turbo engine has same transmission as Explorer. There is a space for some juice...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Saw some previous posts about the tranny in the Ex, and wanted to give some accurate numbers for you all. The transmission is rated for a max torque of 630 Nm. Or about 465 HP.

Back