Rearview Camera Problems | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

...didnt that OP replace his cam and all was working again? I could have sworn thats what happened...?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone else having the error "Camera is Unavailable Please Contact Your Dealer"?
Mine comes and goes, It was not working for 2 weeks and now its back working again.

Hi cpurx,

Welcome to the forum! If that message pops again, I'd recommend getting it in front of your dealership so they can diagnose. What's the current mileage on your Explorer?

Crystal

46000 Miles, It is off again, I will wait until it stays off for good, my luck it will be working perfectly at the dealer.

So aggravating-chock up another rear view camera not working!

We just brought it into the Ford Dealer just over a month ago because we were having problems with the entire display not coming on all of a sudden at random times. It's a 2011 XLT with 43500 (at time of service) miles so it was out of warranty, but they ended up replacing the APIM because the warranty had been extended on that part apparently, so at least it was replaced for free.

Now, one week ago we got the error message saying "Camera is unavailable please contact your dealer". The first time the camera came back on itself, but that only lasted one car ride. Now, the message stays on and the camera doesn't work at all. The backup sensors do still work. Right now it had 44063 miles on it. This is ridiculous.

This clearly has to be a known problem to Ford since there's several examples on this very page of people's cameras giving troubles around the 40k mile mark.

I'll see about bringing it into the dealership, but there's no way I'm paying $90/hour for diagnostic when it seems to be a problem that is popping up now.

edit: I don't know if it matters or not, but I think I'm on the latest Sync version as well:

DA5T-14D544-BD
Gen2-V3.6.2

So aggravating-chock up another rear view camera not working!

We just brought it into the Ford Dealer just over a month ago because we were having problems with the entire display not coming on all of a sudden at random times. It's a 2011 XLT with 43500 (at time of service) miles so it was out of warranty, but they ended up replacing the APIM because the warranty had been extended on that part apparently, so at least it was replaced for free.

Now, one week ago we got the error message saying "Camera is unavailable please contact your dealer". The first time the camera came back on itself, but that only lasted one car ride. Now, the message stays on and the camera doesn't work at all. The backup sensors do still work. Right now it had 44063 miles on it. This is ridiculous.

This clearly has to be a known problem to Ford since there's several examples on this very page of people's cameras giving troubles around the 40k mile mark.

I'll see about bringing it into the dealership, but there's no way I'm paying $90/hour for diagnostic when it seems to be a problem that is popping up now.

edit: I don't know if it matters or not, but I think I'm on the latest Sync version as well:

DA5T-14D544-BD
Gen2-V3.6.2

The back up sensors and camera are unrelated other than they both should activate when in reverse (actually the camera is always active, its just not displayed until your in reverse). My guess is the camera has been penetrated by contaminants which does happen over time (after all the camera is exposed to the elements - anyone that thinks a vehicle camera is 100 percent sealed for life is dreaming) or the harness at the camera itself is corroded or making a poor connection. I would get to the harness and use some spray contact cleaner or sometimes just unplugging it and plugging it back in may cure it for a little while. Give it a try and see if that fixes it. Replacing the camera is a dealer visit as it requires vehicle programming.

As far as your display going bad...if that was APIM related great as yes that is under warranty for 5 years but if it was the display itself then you go lucky that it was covered as the display is not the same part as the APIM.

I will let you know what response I get from dealer, I have had several Fords as company cars with Ford Fleet Care and I usually have to do all the trouble shooting myself. This is my first Explorer since my 1995 XLT which was a workhorse in itself, 135K with no issues other than routine maintenance. I have had three Edge's 10, 12 and now a 14, my 12 was the worst for "Known Issues" before the recalls were posted, namely the door lock and the hardest one to convince there was a problem was the Brake Booster with 4 trips before it was resolved.
I did buy an extended warranty also, so I will be taking it in for the power steering recall, the backup camera issue and the keyless entry pad not working properly.

And of course it decided to come on just once earlier today, and then go right back out...I'm guessing bad connection or something.

Same issue here

I have been getting same message about "camera unavailable contact dealership) off and on over the last year or so (I bought the 2012 new at the end of 2011). Generally it would happen 1 time and then not again for several weeks or months even. I had it at the dealership on Friday for the power steering recall and asked about the camera issue. Service Tech said they have had this issue several times and they often have to replace the camera which should be covered under the 3 year / 36,000 mile warranty but of course I have 54,000 miles so not covered. Anyway, today it worked just fine several times while running errands and then the last time I got back in my car, that dang message again. Usually it just starts working again but no such luck. I have been out to the car several times several hours later hoping it would magically work again as it has in the past, but no. I tried getting to the fuse box to pull fuses as suggested in another post but I have no idea how anyone can even reach that! I certainly can't and I tried several different positions. Oh and suddenly the left hand side of my 3rd row won't move. Motor running, chair not moving. It has also done this before about a year ago but magically fixed itself and I had no other issues - until today.

Just this morning I was researching new cars and decided that despite the issues I have had with this vehicle and 2 prior Explorers (bad transmission, failed water pump, bad radiator, and on and on), there seems to be some improvements coming with the 2016 (and/or have been made since I purchased this one ). After today I just cannot see why it makes sense to make this decision again. It seems to me that Ford makes so many Explorers or they are making them with horrible parts and they just flat out don't care to produce a quality product. While the Ford Explorer fits my needs best, in the end I would prefer a vehicle made by a manufacturer that actually lasts and that I have in the shop less. Am I just expecting too much? Do all vehicles now days break this often??

When you say the 3rd row seat won't move, is it in the folded position? I had that issue once and found that the seat mechanism had become detached from a part under the seat. Once I got it back in place it worked fine.
Not all Explorer have the constant issues that some do. My 2011 was virtually trouble free during the 3 years I had it with the exception of a faulty right front sensor, the uncommanded windshield wipe and a battery replacement.
I'm looking forward to possibly getting the 2016 model after my current lease expires.

Peter

Thanks Peter. I will look at that. It was in the upright position and I was trying to lay it flat (stow seats). Hopefully it is a simple fix as you suggest.

Good to know not all Explorers are this way. I have just had really bad luck twice in a row I guess. They can't be the best sellers that they are if everyone was having the same issues I have I suppose! :)

So aggravating-chock up another rear view camera not working!...

...I did buy an extended warranty also, so I will be taking it in for the power steering recall, the backup camera issue and the keyless entry pad not working properly.

...Anyway, today it worked just fine several times while running errands and then the last time I got back in my car, that dang message again. Usually it just starts working again but no such luck...

Hey, folks!

Don't forget to reach out to me if you need assistance. In order for me to research options, I'll need a private message (PM) from you with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Hey, folks!

Don't forget to reach out to me if you need assistance. In order for me to research options, I'll need a private message (PM) from you with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

I just didn't think there was anything you could do for me if out of warranty. I will send you a PM. THANK YOU!!

back up cam

explorer Limited, back up cam will shut off every once in a while as I am in reverse, shift into p or n and cam will come back on most of the time. Any ideas why this is happening?:salute:

I have the same problem with my camera. Every time I put the vehicle in reverse it says my camera is unavailable. I took to the dealer and they said they have to replace the camera and its $450 to be replaced. Is there anything I can do since it seems a lot of ford customers are having this same issue?

I have the same problem with my camera. Every time I put the vehicle in reverse it says my camera is unavailable. I took to the dealer and they said they have to replace the camera and its $450 to be replaced. Is there anything I can do since it seems a lot of ford customers are having this same issue?

Let's see how I can turn this (and your camera!) around, nlopez2518. How many miles are on your Explorer?

Crystal

Well, we brought the Explorer into the dealership for a diagnostic check. It was a pretty ridiculous experience, all told.

We dropped it off the first day, and they couldn't get to it then, so we figured another day and it would be done. Nope-finally on the third day they were able to tell us that it is a problem with the camera and No, it wouldn't be covered. They said it would cost around $300 to replace the part and get it working.

There's no way I'm paying that, especially not when other people are reporting the exact same problem right around the exact same mileage. It's extremely frustrating, but hopefully the customer service techs here will take note and maybe they can push something up the chain.

You haven't stated what the mileage is. It does seem odd that the majority of failures are now occurring on the 2011 models. On the bright side, $300 is a lot less than what an ESP would have cost you.

Peter

You haven't stated what the mileage is. It does seem odd that the majority of failures are now occurring on the 2011 models. On the bright side, $300 is a lot less than what an ESP would have cost you.

Peter

I was told the ESP wouldn't cover it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok so I'm on the intermittent camera post now because my 2013 xlt is showing the unavailable message since it's last visit to the dealer. It's under warrantee and I will see if I can get the camera replaced.

Unfortunately there is no bright side of the adventures of visiting the dealer and the sad part is that there are enough things going wrong with this car that I am afraid NOT to buy the esp.

So this week the camera is intermittent, the A4 nav chip is erroring, and the battery failed on a thanksgiving trip in perfect weather,,,,,

This car I may add is also bubbling paint on the hood (see my profile photos) and avatar.

This explorer is parked in a garage out of the hot sun and driven by only an adult ....

Gawd help us all

Ford is not listening

RN

Back