Adding Remote Start | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding Remote Start

I have an 2011 Limited and wonder if there is any way to improve the remote starter. In my old Moutaineer the remote start would heat to where you left the settings. My Exp seems to barely warm the car at all? Any thoughts on this or fixes?

TIA!
Kim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an 2011 Limited and wonder if there is any way to improve the remote starter. In my old Moutaineer the remote start would heat to where you left the settings. My Exp seems to barely warm the car at all? Any thoughts on this or fixes?

TIA!
Kim

What do you have the remote start climate settings in the cluster set to?

Hi Jason, it's set to auto. If I select last ignition would that mean it would remote start at what I left it at? 90 degrees preferably

Hi Jason, it's set to auto. If I select last ignition would that mean it would remote start at what I left it at? 90 degrees preferably

I believe that would be correct and if it is set on quiet mode the fan will not blow at full speed. Check the owner's manual. It has all the info. Remember its not going to blow hot air until the engine starts warming up.

Thank you for your input, I will test it out now: ) It's very cold here in Boston and the last 2 mornings I got into a cold car!

Thank you for your input, I will test it out now: ) It's very cold here in Boston and the last 2 mornings I got into a cold car!

I pulled up your owner's manual and quiet operation apparently is an idle control. If off the engine will idle at a higher RPM (probably to warm it up faster). If in quiet mode it will be at a lower RPM.

What was the outcome?

You didn't tell me it was a X-Mas present! Your welcome. I was happy to help you out.

Hi Jason-

I visited your site and noticed "2013" seems to be the oldest MY listed for this functionality; am I interpreting this correctly?

My wife has a 2011 XLT and I, too, wanted to have remote start installed as a Christmas gift. Was considering just going to the dealer to see what, if any, factory add-on setups they offer, but ran across this post first.

Any info you can provide would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Tim

2011-2015 are all the same as far as remote start go. PI's Utilities didn't come out until 2013 but the Explorer is the same in regards to remote start from 2011-2015.

2011-2015 are all the same as far as remote start go. PI's Utilities didn't come out until 2013 but the Explorer is the same in regards to remote start from 2011-2015.

Wow, appreciate the fast response, Jason.

I did get a chance to read through a few other threads on this topic--including what several owners' local dealers had quoted for the system + installation.

Guess I need to decide now whether I am willing to "doing battle" with my service department in trying to get them to read the information you've posted about the installation (and charge me accordingly), or just "bend over" and pay them the $500 (+/-) MSRP others have been quoted. Ugh.

Anyway, thanks again for your guidance ;)
Tim

Wow, appreciate the fast response, Jason.

I did get a chance to read through a few other threads on this topic--including what several owners' local dealers had quoted for the system + installation.

Guess I need to decide now whether I am willing to "doing battle" with my service department in trying to get them to read the information you've posted about the installation (and charge me accordingly), or just "bend over" and pay them the $500 (+/-) MSRP others have been quoted. Ugh.

Anyway, thanks again for your guidance ;)
Tim

The $500 dollar option would be either installing one of the long range remote kits or the smart phone kit. Funny part is the instructions for those tell them to enable remote start if it hasn't been done already.

As quoted from the manual for vehicles without Factory Remote Start

"34. Connect IDS.
• Follow the prompts to select new vehicle session.
• Enter VIN.
35. Activate the remote start using the IDS.
• Select the Tool Box icon.
• Select Body.
• Select Security.
• Select Remote Start.
• Verify that the information on the IDS screen is correct and all procedures have been followed.
• Select Yes. This will enable the remote start function on the vehicle."

The $500 dollar option would be either installing one of the long range remote kits or the smart phone kit. Funny part is the instructions for those tell them to enable remote start if it hasn't been done already.

As quoted from the manual for vehicles without Factory Remote Start

"34. Connect IDS.
• Follow the prompts to select new vehicle session.
• Enter VIN.
35. Activate the remote start using the IDS.
• Select the Tool Box icon.
• Select Body.
• Select Security.
• Select Remote Start.
• Verify that the information on the IDS screen is correct and all procedures have been followed.
• Select Yes. This will enable the remote start function on the vehicle."

Hey Jason-

As predicted, my dealership just quoted me the following to have remote start enabled on my 2011 XLT with power rear liftgate:

-$298.57 for the "kit"
-$170 for "installation".

I had him confirm for me that the kit is nothing more than 2 new key fobs and keys to be cut, and that the "installation" consisted of nothing more than 10 minutes of shop time to enable the option via IDS. Ridiculous.

Any course of action you can suggest I take with my dealer? Do you see any value in my asking Crystal or Cory @ Ford for their assistance in escalating this?

Thanks,
Tim

Hey Jason-

As predicted, my dealership just quoted me the following to have remote start enabled on my 2011 XLT with power rear liftgate:

-$298.57 for the "kit"
-$170 for "installation".

I had him confirm for me that the kit is nothing more than 2 new key fobs and keys to be cut, and that the "installation" consisted of nothing more than 10 minutes of shop time to enable the option via DIS. Ridiculous.

Any course of action you can suggest I take with my dealer? Do you see any value in my asking Crystal or Cory @ Ford for their assistance in escalating this?

Thanks,
Tim

That is the SRP for the kit which is only two keys. Contact me directly. $170 to activate it....that's robbery. Go to a different dealer. The Ford reps here can't do anything about what a dealer charges unless it would fall under a warranty claim which adding remote start does not.

TimGinCentralNJ, I just got the remote start activated in my 2011 XLT this morning. Bought a key from Jason, took it to a locksmith and got it cut for $2 and programmed it myself. Dealer charged $55 to turn on remote start and it worked flawlessly. Hopefully your dealer will know how to enable it as mine did not, had to tell them what to do based off Jason's instructions. I'd go that route instead of getting ripped off having the dealer do everything.

TimGinCentralNJ, I just got the remote start activated in my 2011 XLT this morning. Bought a key from Jason, took it to a locksmith and got it cut for $2 and programmed it myself. Dealer charged $55 to turn on remote start and it worked flawlessly. Hopefully your dealer will know how to enable it as mine did not, had to tell them what to do based off Jason's instructions. I'd go that route instead of getting ripped off having the dealer do everything.

Thanks Burnsy-

I've been exchanging emails with Jason offline (who's been very helpful).

Since my dealer seemed to be aware of the fact it just needs to be "turned on" and has already quoted me a price for the keys and labor, I'm unsure what the outcome would be if I then showed up with everything else done, and simply asked them to do the coding. Obviously, they stand to lose a lot of money, but the question is, would they still do it--or would they be ok letting me walk away.

Frankly, I'd rather give Jason my money, but it's of no value to me if I can't find a local dealer willing to enable it for less than $170.

Stay tuned.
Tim

I'll add I had my PI in for some warranty work, and after getting a key from jmr061 and the hood switch from the parts dept (takes literally 10 seconds to install), my tech activated the OEM remote start on his IDS box for $20 since he had to clear some codes anyway. Programming the key was the basic turn the key to ON 8 times and press a button on the remote, and the system works as it should.

I'll add I had my PI in for some warranty work, and after getting a key from jmr061 and the hood switch from the parts dept (takes literally 10 seconds to install), my tech activated the OEM remote start on his IDS box for $20 since he had to clear some codes anyway. Programming the key was the basic turn the key to ON 8 times and press a button on the remote, and the system works as it should.

Don't forget that the PI's don't use the transponder chip in the key so programming between PI's and civilian Explorers is different.

Hi Guys,

I had the Series 100 remote starter installed two days ago on my 2014 EX XLT but I seem to have much less options in the left cluster settings than I am supposed to have.

I only have : Climate Control (Auto or Last)

I have no Heated Seat option (car has heated seats)
I have no Rear Defrost option
I have no Temperature option.

Any clue ? Is that a problem of software version on my EX or is it because it is an XLT and only Limited and Sport have these options ??

Please help...

Thanks

Answer to TIMGIN CENTRAL NJ

My Dealer managed to find an employee that had already done the procedure and they charged me 69.95 $ (Canadian Dollars) for cutting the 2 new keys, programming them and releasing the option on the car.

Apart from problems mentioned in my previous post about missing options in the settings it works great.

I did a distance test yesterday while exercising my dog at the dog park and I was able to start it from around 100 yards away. I am sure I can go further if I stick the remote on my chin.. :)

Don't let them charge you 170 $ for the procedure, it takes literally 15 minutes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Guys,

I had the Series 100 remote starter installed two days ago on my 2014 EX XLT but I seem to have much less options in the left cluster settings than I am supposed to have.

I only have : Climate Control (Auto or Last)

I have no Heated Seat option (car has heated seats)
I have no Rear Defrost option
I have no Temperature option.

Any clue ? Is that a problem of software version on my EX or is it because it is an XLT and only Limited and Sport have these options ??

Please help...

Thanks

Sounds like something got messed up. There is no "temperature" setting by the way. Its just climate. If you know how to get into engineering mode on the instrument cluster I would like some data from it. That will tell me some details. I know on the PI Utility rear defrost doesn't seem to come up so maybe the guys that have had it done can chime in.

Back