Explorer hood vibrates | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer hood vibrates

I would expect that it is the plastic cowl that is the culprit.

Peter

I had a humming noise too and they had to replace the PTU. There is another thread where I posted a pic of the actual service report on it. My ex is just below 10K miles

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok some good news. Service writer said yep the epoxy holding hood to cross brace looks like it popped and the wheel damage is most likely going to be covered. Unfortunately he would not write it up right now without leaving the Expy with him. ALL DAY due high volume if traffic. I could not as we are leaving for vacation Thursday and I am working up til then. So hopefully when I get back it will be taken care of.

Now a new problem, the stitching on the right front seat just came undone. Stitches popped where the leather meets cloth over the outside hinge/mount area. Less than two months and 2000 miles and stitching popped? Hmm, well looks like I will get a new seat when I get back too.

I see wind vibration in my hood as well. However there is no noise it.

Ok some good news. Service writer said yep the epoxy holding hood to cross brace looks like it popped and the wheel damage is most likely going to be covered. Unfortunately he would not write it up right now without leaving the Expy with him. ALL DAY due high volume if traffic. I could not as we are leaving for vacation Thursday and I am working up til then. So hopefully when I get back it will be taken care of.

Now a new problem, the stitching on the right front seat just came undone. Stitches popped where the leather meets cloth over the outside hinge/mount area. Less than two months and 2000 miles and stitching popped? Hmm, well looks like I will get a new seat when I get back too.

Reach out to me via PM, Mulletmobile; I'll get this in front of your regional customer service manager. To make that happen, I'll need your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership.

I see wind vibration in my hood as well. However there is no noise it.

Have you brought this up to your dealer, Andrewtre? What's the current mileage?

Crystal

About 23.5kmiles. No I haven't because I actually thought a small amount of wind vibration was normal. Like I said, no noise, only slightly annoying if you watch it. Should there be zero movement on the center section of the hood?

Honestly I am more concerned with the brake issue I am having, and what Ford will do to satisfy that issue. Have to wait until the truck gets on the rack in 2 weeks.

I don't recall having any flutter on the hood of my 2011.

Peter

...Honestly I am more concerned with the brake issue I am having, and what Ford will do to satisfy that issue. Have to wait until the truck gets on the rack in 2 weeks.

Keep us posted on how things go, Andrewtre; I'll be here if you need my help. :)

Crystal

I have my appointment this Wednesday for the issues. After a 2500 mile trip on vacation, I can say the vibration humming was a little annoying, but hey just turn up the radio and jam on right?! Seriously though, this Explorer was just awesome to drive through the mountains on the West Coast and around Vancouver Island. Even ran it down the beach at Ocean Shores, WA to test out the 4WD/AWD system!

Crystal it was great to get the calls from Tammy at Ford Customer Service regarding this waiting to help me with it while on vacation. Ford has been great to deal with so far. Best part is two of my old service writers at the previous dealership are now at the new one where I bought this Explorer from and they know me! (Doesn't say much for my old diesel Excursion huh?)

...Crystal it was great to get the calls from Tammy at Ford Customer Service regarding this waiting to help me with it while on vacation. Ford has been great to deal with so far. Best part is two of my old service writers at the previous dealership are now at the new one where I bought this Explorer from and they know me! (Doesn't say much for my old diesel Excursion huh?)

It sounds like things are headed in the right direction, Mulletmobile; I'm always just a PM away if there's anything else I can do to help. :)

Crystal

Explorer is in for the humming noise, seat and wheel. Not a real positive vibe on the wheel being replaced. Service writer said because it has been two months since purchased And it being a RF wheel they may claim curb rash, but it clearly looks like a trapezoid shaped wheel weight was on there. They said they have seen a lot of flex in the hoods and it is not out of the norm, so I told them about the numerous complaints on the forums about the flexing and vibration noises. Will update when I hear back.

I have had this noise occur on several occasions now. Drove from Columbus, OH to Cincinnati, OH this past weekend. There was a bit of a crosswind on the way down on Sat and heard the noise most of the way (like others have said, it usually kicks in around 65mph). On the way home on Sun, the weather seemed to be more calm and I didn't hear the hum at all. I-71 in that area is in the middle of farmland, no hills to speak of. We travel I-70 between Columbus and Eastern Ohio and I don't notice it much at all on that trip, but of course many more hills and less chance of a crosswind.

When it happened this past weekend I decided to look it up on this forum and sure enough found where others have had the same issue.

So annoying for a $40k vehicle (2013 Limited) to have this issue and the driver's side mirror whistling issue. Don't they do wind tests in the engineering phase of the design on these things?

I have had this noise occur on several occasions now...

Hi dankoos,

Have you been able to replicate this sound for your dealer? I'd recommend that as a next step. How many miles are on your Explorer?

Crystal

I got my explorer two months ago and took it to florida for a few weeks. On the drive home I noticed the same noise which was very annoying. It went away on a few occasions ( i guess depending on the wind) and it didn't occur until i exceeded 65 MPH. I thought it was the windshield wipers at first but im pretty sure its the same issue mentioned above. There are only 7000 km on it.
taking it in this week i hope to correct this issue and a few others.

My wife and I experienced the same problem. At 75mph (that's the rural interstate speed limit in TX) we noticed the same noise, and it was very annoying. We, too, thought it was the windshield wipers and took it back to the dealer. They said it was fan noise and normal. Driving home from the dealer, we noticed a slight vibration in the hood when this was happening. Our dealer is quite a distance from where we live, so we put a piece of split pipe insulating foam under the hood near the windshield. That temporarily stopped the noise, but will definitely be returning to the dealer for a true fix.

... That temporarily stopped the noise, but will definitely be returning to the dealer for a true fix.

Sounds like a good plan, dodgers1. How many miles are on your Explorer? I'd like to see how I can help as well.

Crystal

Our Ford Explorer Sport is a 2013 with only 7,000 miles, so if you have another solution, let us know.

Thanks so much Crystal

Our Ford Explorer Sport is a 2013 with only 7,000 miles, so if you have another solution, let us know.

Thanks so much Crystal

Thanks for the quick response, dodgers1. I'll get this into the hands of your regional customer service manager; they'll work with you and your dealership on a solution. To get the ball rolling, send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and preferred servicing dealership.

Crystal

had these same humming noises at 70mph or greater into a bad headwind/crosswind. we always have the vent or air on. found that pressing recirculate the noise stopped. was able to start and stop it several times. didn't look for and hood vibration, noise seemed to come from dash. anyone notice that?? 2013 explorer with 8400 miles

had these same humming noises at 70mph or greater into a bad headwind/crosswind. we always have the vent or air on. found that pressing recirculate the noise stopped. was able to start and stop it several times. didn't look for and hood vibration, noise seemed to come from dash. anyone notice that?? 2013 explorer with 8400 miles

Sounds like similar symptoms, but our problem seems to have completely stopped by adding more depth to the gasket at the windshield end of the hood. Just made the 200+ mile drive to Dallas over Thanksgiving and no problem noted, despite a head wind and 80 mph on I45.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum earlanderson.:wavey:
I'm pretty sure that the noise you are hearing is coming from the cowl that runs along the bottom of the windshield. There have been a few posts like yours and the cowl was the problem.

Peter

Back