Sync 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sync 3

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

But those of us with the plague ridden MFT want to be retrofitted for free when it comes out! LOL

This article clearly says "No".

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=418695

None of them, sadly, will be able to run the new version of Sync, which will debut in 2015 on 2016 model year cars. But sometimes you need to cut the cord to properly move forward, and Sync 3 is indeed a big step forward.

So then where is Gen 2 v3.8?

Heck I would even pay for an upgrade.
If Ford is smart, they will make the system backwards compatible from a bus standpoint.
So that I can go to Ford, buy some new hardware, and BOOM!, have Gen 3 Sync.
I mean honestly, many many people out there that will spend hundreds on a smartphone would gladly pay $300 for some new hardware to have the latest Tech, especially if it's that much better.
A move like that would keep many customers at Ford, IMO.

And I speculate that this is probably possible, given that Ford will be introducing this across all models at the same time and not making it rely upon a redesign.

I hope that I gave to eat my words, but other than minor bug fixes and more outdated maps, I'm pretty sure it is what it is and no new features will ever be had in the current MFT system.

It's Engineered Obsolessance. They used to be able to get away with selling a car that was ready for the scrap heap in 100,000 miles. People got sick of that and there was backlash (people went to foreign cars). Now cars are good for much longer, so people don't have to buy new cars as often... So, they had to make away to get more sales. Make it so that your vehicle is sooo integrated with the technology and connectivity that everyone wants, but only support it so long and make it just about outdated when it's released. Eventually, it won't support any of our phones (new version of Bluetooth or a Bluetooth replacement) to make calls or stream music... Or worse yet, it craps out after 5 years and it's on you to pay $2k to get a replacement APIM out of warranty so you can turn on your radio or seat heaters. Might be the deciding factor to buy a new car. You can rip the damn thing out and buy an aftermarket.

Never Forget!! I suggest anyone considering the "Sync 3" re-read the MyFord Touch Press releases from 2010.
https://media.ford.com/content/ford...ith-internet--new-wifi-receiver--built-i.html

Statements like this in the Sync 3 Press Release really get me burning
"Ford was first to bring voice control to in-vehicle apps with AppLink™, and the experience is further improved with SYNC 3."

I own 2 Fords with MyFord Touch and every update traded functionality for stability. I have given up on voice commands. I dread the day I have to decide if it's worth $60 to not have to deal with the hassle of typing in an address (and that's all the sync services is good for).

My point is a lot of promises were made when I bought my vehicles that were never lived up to. I don't see what has changed such that this will go any differently.

At this time, we do not plan on expanding AppLink availability to MyFord Touch systems.

Rebecca

I realize you're just the messenger, so please don't take this personally instead maybe relay to management. But Sync w/ MFT was sold to the consumers with the promise AppLink would be "available soon". This is the announcement of the end of life of our current MFT, and it's really a BS move on Ford's part. They failed to deliver on every promise they made regarding MFT, and yet profited incredibly from the option. No available upgrade path for current MFT users, and no ability to change out MFT for an aftermarket infotainment system due to the complex integration with other system functions in 2013-2014 model vehicles has secured my decision to leave Ford and pursue another manufacturer next year when I go shopping for my next vehicle.

MFT is a known clusterf@#$ of a mess, and those of us who stood by the bug ridden system for the past X years (personally 4 here) get to hear "buy a new vehicle if you want your problems fixed". I was chastised when I eluded to the 3.7 update being an EOL for 2013 MY and prior vehicles, but it looks like I was spot on.

You say we will continue to recv performance and bug fixes, but in reality we won't, and haven't for some time. If you haven't been able to fix some of the most basic bugs since 2011, what confidence can we possibly have in expecting any resolutions now after an EOL is announced?

Deeply hurt by Ford product management, and IVT

The kicker is, no one at Ford will care =P
As a family we've purchased 5 Ford vehicles in the last 2 years, it's nice to know the loyalty is rewarded.

At this time, we do not plan on expanding AppLink availability to MyFord Touch systems.

Rebecca

so that's it then... and the only way to get rid of it is to sell the car since it can't be replaced with an aftermarket unit.

I'll stick to my old truck... Better build quality and the aftermarket system still gets updates and does all that the MFT system was supposed to.

Rebecca

Please don't leave it at that. You are the voice of people on these forums. You have the power to do something about it.

qnx operating system

will the 2016 explorer have the new qnx system?

will the 2016 explorer have the new qnx system?
Your thread has been merged with this existing one. SYNC3 is the QNX system and you will find your answer in the posts.

Peter

The more I read about and play with MFT/Sync in my '15 X - I'm a little concerned that the failings with the ford/microsoft product had nothing to do with MS and everything to do with Ford.

Almost every design annoyance seems brainless. Popup dialog (music alerts) will overlay a button with another button. The lag sometimes results in the background button being pressed by accident. The Sirius browser fails to load sometimes, and it has no Cancel or Back button to get out. The voice controls are useless and annoying. Why must dig deep into the Advanced menu rabbit hole just so I can stop I hearing an introduction to the system or instructions on how to talk EVERY time I push the button? In fact, why not just pass the voice commands to Google or Siri?

/rant - Anyway hopefully bbry/qnx has more control over the interface and only let's ford make business goals and not critical technical and UI decisions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The more I read about and play with MFT/Sync in my '15 X - I'm a little concerned that the failings with the ford/microsoft product had nothing to do with MS and everything to do with Ford.

Almost every design annoyance seems brainless. Popup dialog (music alerts) will overlay a button with another button. The lag sometimes results in the background button being pressed by accident. The Sirius browser fails to load sometimes, and it has no Cancel or Back button to get out. The voice controls are useless and annoying. Why must dig deep into the Advanced menu rabbit hole just so I can stop I hearing an introduction to the system or instructions on how to talk EVERY time I push the button? In fact, why not just pass the voice commands to Google or Siri?

/rant - Anyway hopefully bbry/qnx has more control over the interface and only let's ford make business goals and not critical technical and UI decisions.

MyFord Touch is built on Windows Embedded Automotive Version 4 (most documentation is on Version 7). I don't have a link handy, but there is a PDF out there with an overview of Windows Embedded Automotive Version 4 and it looks nothing like our MyFord Touch. MyFord Touch is using Flashlite for the user interface.

My guess is that Ford disabled much of the Windows Functionality and took great strives to only allow access through the interface. This may be due to a perceived liability if anyone managed to gain root access and tweak their own system. In the end, it created a severely crippled product that lived up to none of it's potential.

Back