Debut of 2016 Explorer | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Debut of 2016 Explorer

Blackberry's QNX is SYNC3. That is why we were wondering which models it will initially appear in.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bet all new Edges and Explorers will be equipped with SYNC3 on QNX, otherwise Ford is just a dumb...

I hope you're right Denis. I'll be in the market April 1st 2017 which is toward the end of the 2016 model year and probably in the time frame for a 2017 order which means extending my current lease 4 or 5 months.

Peter

I hope you're right Denis. I'll be in the market April 1st 2017 which is toward the end of the 2016 model year and probably in the time frame for a 2017 order which means extending my current lease 4 or 5 months.

Peter

You have your years a little screwy. 2016s are in April of 2015, 2017s should be around April of 2016 which means you will be looking at the end of a 2017 model or a fresh off the assembly 2018.

But if you like your Lincoln, you may like the new redesigned MKX that is coming out in 2015

You guys do realize that Ford is dumping the Microsoft SYNC operating system to a SYNC QNX Blackberry branded one instead?

I don't really see how this is an upgrade and I'm suprised Ford did not go the Android / iOS route.

Android Auto and Apple Carplay are not standalone systems - they just use the display / touchscreen to mirror an interface that appears on the phone. QNX is the underlying operating system in many (most?) of the infotainment systems that will work with smart devices.

edit: perhaps this link might explain more

Thanks for that article, I now understand the whole process much better. Its funny though I always saw Apple and BlackBerry as mortal enemies. To find that Apple needs QNX in order to have its CarPlay work with many OEM multi-media systems is very interesting.

Maybe they still are mortal enemies in the world of handsets.

You have your years a little screwy. 2016s are in April of 2015, 2017s should be around April of 2016 which means you will be looking at the end of a 2017 model or a fresh off the assembly 2018.

But if you like your Lincoln, you may like the new redesigned MKX that is coming out in 2015
That's one of the problems in being retired. You lose all track of time!;) Thanks for putting me back on track. You are absolutely correct. Perhaps some of the 2011 issues may even be straightened out when the 2018 comes out. I think I'd prefer the Platinum over the redesigned MKX. Had a look at the MKC. Although very nice it is bit smaller. I guess by 2017-18 the new SYNC3 will likely be in all the Ford family vehicles. So this is even a better situation. Thanks again. :):thumbsup:

Peter

That's one of the problems in being retired. You lose all track of time!;) Thanks for putting me back on track. You are absolutely correct. Perhaps some of the 2011 issues may even be straightened out when the 2018 comes out. I think I'd prefer the Platinum over the redesigned MKX. Had a look at the MKC. Although very nice it is bit smaller. I guess by 2017-18 the new SYNC3 will likely be in all the Ford family vehicles. So this is even a better situation. Thanks again. :):thumbsup:

Peter

MKC is sharp.. from my understanding, there will be 2 versions of the MKX, a 2 row and a 3 row version. 3 row versiom will be stretched a little so seems it will be more "Explorerish" in size.

Exclusive:Google aiming to go straight into car with next Android, no phone neeeded

Android Auto and Apple Carplay are not standalone systems - they just use the display / touchscreen to mirror an interface that appears on the phone. QNX is the underlying operating system in many (most?) of the infotainment systems that will work with smart devices.

edit: perhaps this link might explain more

Great explanation & overview, but the Android potential has changed...
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/12/18/us-google-cars-idUSKBN0JW2PS20141218

Great explanation & overview, but the Android potential has changed...
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/12/18/us-google-cars-idUSKBN0JW2PS20141218

Well, why not? its huge market. And this is what Tesla did.

"Most newfangled car infotainment systems are built on guts provided by other companies. (QNX--the operating system that's in RIM's BlackBerry PlayBook and upcoming BlackBerry phones--is widely used.) But like just about everything about Tesla's vehicles, this system is being hand-crafted by the company from scratch. It runs Linux as its foundation; a company spokesperson wouldn't tell me what components are inside today, but according to Sybase blogger Eric Lai, it uses Nvidia's ARM-based Tegra platform, which is also inside Motorola's Xoom and other tablets and smartphones."

The new 2016 Explorer by summer ?

I am new on here, and looking at getting a 2016. You can now build
your own, and they are coming out by summer.
I wonder when the production of the 2015 will end, and the switchover
at the plants will happen.
My local dealer is just getting info. on the new model also.
Looks like cosmetic changes, LED lights up front, and a new 2.3 ecoboost 4 cyl.
I would likely stay with a V-6, since I find with issues reported
with the ecoboost.
Are there any other changes that are important?

Welcome to the Forum Truckguy7.:wavey:
Last date to order a 2015 is Jan. 30th. Production of the 2016 begins May 4th with orders being accepted Feb 2nd.
There is also a thread with the order guide;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=417701

I have merged your thread with this one which discusses the 2016 model.

Peter

Peter:
Thanks, lots of info. and just what I was looking for.

Jerry

2016 Explorer Limited at New England Auto Show

I ordered a 2016 Explorer Platinum sight unseen before Christmas last year. Today, my wife and I attended the New England International Auto Show in Boston and got to see a pre-production 2016 Limited on the show floor. It's a very nice looking vehicle, and I snapped a few cell-phone pix as I walked around the display. I also took a cell-phone video of the live presentation given at the Explorer display.

It was interesting that there was absolutely no signage to indicated there was a 2016 Explorer on display. I'm sure many people walked by without knowing or understanding what they were looking at. Gosh, Ford, if you're going to spend the money to highlight this new vehicle, at least tell people it's there!

If anyone is interested in seeing a few pics or watching the brief video, here are links:

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/gp/9964408@N07/5r6R49/

Video: http://youtu.be/gDD6tBAqgqI

Thanks for your contribution to this thread Exit32. :thumbsup:

Peter

front is dramatically improved over that plastic looking grill - back needs more work -always hated this generation because the front and back look cheap

interior is improved too - though i'm not a fan of the diamond sewn patterns - guess if its good enough for bentley...

but dang - 50 grand for an explorer? its not like its a truck - i'd buy lincoln's version if they made one (and it did not have that cyclops knob on the console)

i like wood - looks better than all the aluminum mania we are caught up in - but on the steering wheel, i don't think ford heats wood yet

for 50 grand, i'll do the 2016 mkx - less car but....

i doubt the current sync can be changed to sync 3 without swapping the hardware - though i have not researched the processors, i doubt the instruction set in the cpus are the same - as best i can tell, the 2016 mkx will be the current microsoft based sync

wonder if ford will be dealing with lots of headaches from putting a 2.0 4 cyl in a vehicle this size - i've read that some people are unhappy with that engine

There is no 2.0L engine for the 2016 model. The 2.0L from previous models has been replaced by the 2.3L Ecoboost. As for the 2016 MKX, I don't think I'd consider it less of a vehicle from what I've seen. There is also nothing to suggest if the 2016 models will have the new Sync3. The vehicles that will have it first have yet to be identified so it could very well have the current version of MFT.

Peter

Also fyi absolute black is now shadow black!

What happened to the days when black was black and white was white?:D

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What happened to the days when black was black and white was white?:D

Peter

Loved the tuxedo black on the previous models but looking forward to change..It's gonna be either black or platinum white for the next one....decisions. ....decisions lol

Back