Cargo area, 3rd row seat back cracks. | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cargo area, 3rd row seat back cracks.

I finally got it replacer under warranty yesterday.
I dont know what was Ford Canada involvement, but it certainly helped.

The only thing I was told by the dealer is that they sent pictures to Ford Canada and they have been replied that this part is covered by the warranty and that the dealer didn't need pre-approval. I'm just wondering if that story would of come so big if the dealer would have done this at first place, before calling me back and telling me it's not under warranty and that they don't want to take a chance of not being paid...

Yes I'm happy with the repair but the dealer service was horrible and not very professional.

Glad to see yours got repaired

I was told by my Ford dealership it isnt covered

So I'm going for a second opinion on this as I'm pretty upset. I had the regional customer service manager call me but she has to side with the service managers opinion so now unless the second opinion agrees it IS a warranty issue I dont know what else I can do.

The dealership said they have no record of any TSB for this issue either

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure if you have checked back through this thread but there are 3 posts that reported repairs done under warranty. Posts 53,91 and 99. See post 79 for a Special Services Message number that apparently was sent to dealers.

Peter

2013 power 3rd row issues

(sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place; I've been searching around and can't find the answers I'm looking for, but if they're out there, please link me and bump :) )

Man, where to start?

I, like apparently many of you, cracked the backing of my 3rd row power seats. I was transporting a keg, which I don't think is unreasonable. I know the new Explorers are "people movers," but I used to have a '97 that would transport all kinds of heavy stuff with nary a knick to be found.

Anyway, so the keg fell and cracked the seatback. I got the extended warranty, and figured it would be covered, but it didn't bother me much, so I didn't bring it in right away. I cut a piece of 1/2' ply to fit in the back for moving music gear for my band, and that seemed to do the trick.

However, out of the blue, my passenger side powerfold 3rd row seat stop working. It would go halfway up, and then stop; it seemed like the motor that made the backrest portion flip up wasn't working right. "Now," I thought, "I'll take it in for service."

Bay Ridge Ford Service (the worst, btw) submitted the claim, and Ford came back saying that because I had clearly "overloaded" the trunk (Uh, with 130 lbs.? C'mon), I clearly overloaded the seat as well, and made the motor burn out, so they won't cover it.

What kind of craziness is this? I've already messaged Service on here, and they've tried to escalate it, but I haven't heard anything yet. Oh, yeah, did I mention that the service center actually found a way to break the seat even more? Now it doesn't even move at all when I press the button. Neat.

Ultimately, I don't even care. I HATE the powerfold seats.

Is there a way to replace them outright with the regular mechanical versions from other trim levels? The more electrical stuff in cars nowadays just means more things can go wrong and create aggravation. I'd rather have to use a little elbow grease and know they won't break instead of having to rely on needless motors and frilly garbage.

Welcome to the Forum pythionoth.:wavey:
Were you able to get the passenger seat to fold back down? I had some issues art times with the power fold seats. Usually it was when I tried to operate them without the vehicle running. Once I started the engine, everything seemed to work properly again. This cracking seems to be a somewhat known issue with Ford since newer models are supposed to have a thicker back support.
I suggest that yo send a private message (PM) to the Ford service rep who monitors this forum. Her name is Crystal (FordService) and you can use this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.

Good luck. I have merged your thread with this exiting one.

Peter

Thanks, Peter

I messaged Crystal already, and she said she had escalated the matter with my regional customer support people, and that I should expect a call...it's been 5 days and I haven't heard boo, yet, unfortunately:/

Thanks, Peter

I messaged Crystal already, and she said she had escalated the matter with my regional customer support people, and that I should expect a call...it's been 5 days and I haven't heard boo, yet, unfortunately:/

Hi pythionoth,

I checked out your case and see that your CSM tried to contact you on the 3rd; I'll reach out to her and have her contact you again. Be sure to PM me if you ever have trouble contacting someone so I can help. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Seat back

Guess it's my turn. Driver side rear seatback broke today while loading a dresser. Will make an appt. with the Ford dealer after the holidays.

Welcome to the Forum Nflames98.:wavey:
Good luck. Hope the dealer can look after it for you. I believe a stronger support came out with later model years.

Peter

Thanks Peter, I have the extended warranty maybe that will help.

There were a couple of these type issues on the Flex forum with the 3rd row seats. Did not appear to be anything definitive with where the weight was located back there. One person crawled in and cracked the floor. Hopefully Ford has bolstered the floor by now.

...Will make an appt. with the Ford dealer after the holidays.

Good idea, Nflames98. What's the current mileage on your Explorer? Be sure to come back and let us know what you hear at the dealership.

Crystal

It currently has 42k with the extended warranty.

It currently has 42k with the extended warranty.

Thanks for responding so quickly, Nflames98! Once you've had your dealership check this out, I'll be able to look into ways to help, if needed. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Does anyone know when the stronger version went into production? Mine was built in 3/13 or for those the up in the frozen tundra 13/3. Thanks

Looking at post 61 it seems the stronger panel was introduced in November 2013. No frozen tundra here. It is supposed to rain for the next 4 or 5 days.
Santa might need an ATV.;)

Peter

Thanks Peter-no frozen tundra here, near 50 on Christmas Day, with gas under $2 a gallon here Santa will be able to buzz around cheap this year.Have a Merry Christmas.

3rd row crack

wow what a day arguing with the dealer over the whole seat issue.I have a 2012 explorer limited and one of the seat backs cracked in half and the other it is 1/3 of the way cracked across. I need crystals help

Welcome to the Forum mtbrider17.:wavey:
I'm sure that Crystal will be more than happy to see what she can do. Just PM her to get things rolling.

Peter

wow what a day arguing with the dealer over the whole seat issue.I have a 2012 explorer limited and one of the seat backs cracked in half and the other it is 1/3 of the way cracked across. I need crystals help

Help is what I'm here to do, mtbrider17! How many miles are on your Explorer? I'll get to work on some ways to assist. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

fiber board on back panel broke-what to do

hi. i got a 2013 explorer sport two weeks ago and ran into a problem. i folded the third row seats flat and put my groceries on it. i noticed that the fiber board material under the right third row seat broke. i notice a serious give on it when i was loading my stuff but never thought it will snap.i went to my dealership and was quoted a couple of hundred bucks to replace the whole panel. i want to know if there are any options out there, i thought about making it a DIY project but i don't know how to proceed to repair and reinforce the back panel. thanks.

Back